def start
        @run = true
        1.upto(@num_threads) do |i|
          @tg.add(
            Thread.new do
              Thread.current[:name] = "WorkerThread-"+i.to_s
              while @run
                msg = @q.pop
                #@ilog.debug("Message #{msg} picked up from queue") if @ilog.debug?
                @ilog.info("Message picked from queue, now parsing") if @ilog.info?
                r = Message.parse(msg)
                2.times do  # one optional retry
                  case r
                  when Request
                    @ilog.debug("REQUEST RECEIVED #{r}") if @ilog.debug?
                    logsip("I", r.rcvd_from_info[3], r.rcvd_from_info[1], r.rcvd_at_info[0], r.rcvd_at_info[1], r.rcvd_at_info[2], r)
                    if r.to_tag && !r.attributes[:_sipper_initial]
                      # call_id, local, remote
                      s = SessionManager.find_session(r.call_id, r.to_tag, r.from_tag) 
                      if s
                        s.on_message r
                        break
                      else
                        if hndlr = SIP::StrayMessageManager.stray_message_handler
                          @ilog.debug("Found a stray message handler for the request, invoking it") if @ilog.debug?
                          ret = hndlr.handle(r)
                          case ret[0]
                          when SIP::StrayMessageHandler::SMH_DROP
                            @ilog.warn("A stray request #{r.method} being dropped by SMH") if @ilog.warn?

One function. Goes up to 14 levels of indentation in one place. 199 lines, 3 (!) of them empty. Contains: new threads, if, while, unless, .upto (block), .each (block), case, single and double letter variables. At level 8 of indentation you can spot some uses of 'break' and 'next'.

Operates on shared resources, factory/locator, timer callbacks, parser, text constants, magic values (ret = ....; ret[0], ret[1]?), dispatches resulting objects. And of course does the obvious "2.times do  # one optional retry" when operating on a message (still not sure why). And of course is written in Ruby, so you never know if something is a class method, attribute, constant or other element.

Ah yeah - and I think there's a bug somewhere in there... I'm trying to fix it....

• VoIP call management in Ruby?  weeps

• Looks like line noise.  I thought Ruby code was supposed to be beautiful?

•  @morbiuswilters said:

VoIP call management in Ruby?  weeps

Almost - SIP testing framework... The weirdest piece of software I've ever seen. I love to hate it. Unfortunately there's nothing better out there (which sets the standard on a rather low level)

• @viraptor said:

And of course is written in Ruby, so you never know if something is a class method, attribute, constant or other element.

Hey, at least you know if it's a local, instance, class or global variable. Also, <omitting blindfold rant against the OP>

• @Iago said:

Looks like line noise.  I thought Ruby code was supposed to be beautiful?

A lie propagated by the Ruby Lobby.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@Iago said:
    Looks like line noise.  I thought Ruby code was supposed to be beautiful?
    An undeniable truth.

FTFY

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.