So.. english isn't my first language



  • But even i can see there is something wrong with this:

     http://www.brightonnet.co.jp/english/product/ipod/bi-plugac.html

     


    I am small and light!

    Shape is a pretty plug model, Orange of Vivid color that the color is cute, yellow,
    green, four kinds of the pink. I have you choose you to preference.



  • Oh man, I got a bad one a month or so ago.  I ordered a third-party xbox 360 headset from ebay, and it had engrish on the back.  The most painful engrish ever to have been read.  When I get home, I'll scan and post. 



  • I will be getting excitementededed about the plug or plug trip. Plug into socket for vivid cute keyboardnessesities. Have cute problem? Family plug solves plugging!



  • @Tatiano said:

    But even i can see there is something wrong with this:

     http://www.brightonnet.co.jp/english/product/ipod/bi-plugac.html

     


    I am small and light!

    Shape is a pretty plug model, Orange of Vivid color that the color is cute, yellow,
    green, four kinds of the pink. I have you choose you to preference.


     

    May be it was translated by a computer?  There was a real screw up in China during an international event a while back due to computerized translation.



  • @dlikhten said:

    Family plug solves plugging!

    ew 



  • Reminds me of [url=http://www.crazyapplerumors.com/?p=456#more-456]this[/url], except that it is apparently for real.



  • It was probably a computer.  Google's translation is about the same quality.

     http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www.brightonnet.co.jp/product/ipod/bi-plugac.html&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=1&ct=result
     

     Aren't there people out there that will translate your text for you for a modest fee?  If not, I think I have a new business idea.

     oh, and check out: http://www.engrish.com/*. 

    *by posting this link I am in no way endorsing the website, its creators, or any content contained on and/or linked to



  • @belgariontheking said:

    Oh man, I got a bad one a month or so ago.  I ordered a third-party xbox 360 headset from ebay, and it had engrish on the back.  The most painful engrish ever to have been read.  When I get home, I'll scan and post. 

     

    Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us


  • @belgariontheking said:

    @belgariontheking said:

    Oh man, I got a bad one a month or so ago.  I ordered a third-party xbox 360 headset from ebay, and it had engrish on the back.  The most painful engrish ever to have been read.  When I get home, I'll scan and post. 

     

    Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

     

    "Open loudly or adjust the small voice, make experience personally the most vigorous game career to make possible."



  • @Vechni said:

    "Open loudly or adjust the small voice, make experience personally the most vigorous game career to make possible."

    My personal favorite is

    "The ear Michael with put X-360 hand handles or the X-box lead-in hand handles of X-box very easily and directly."

    What was that about ear Michael?
     



  • @belgariontheking said:

    @Vechni said:

    "Open loudly or adjust the small voice, make experience personally the most vigorous game career to make possible."

    My personal favorite is

    "The ear Michael with put X-360 hand handles or the X-box lead-in hand handles of X-box very easily and directly."

    What was that about ear Michael?
     

     

    Definitely a machine translation.  In Chinese it must've been the English loanword "mike", which the translator interpreted as the given name "Mike". 



  • @belgariontheking said:

    @belgariontheking said:

    Oh man, I got a bad one a month or so ago.  I ordered a third-party xbox 360 headset from ebay, and it had engrish on the back.  The most painful engrish ever to have been read.  When I get home, I'll scan and post. 

     

    Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us


  • Are you kidding?  The worst part is that the pink is really purple, (and there's only one variety), and the orange is red.   Or maybe Asians just don't see certain colours?

     

    Ok, I kid about that last one, except only kinda.  The line between green and blue (at least in Japanese) is quite different from the distinction between green and blue in Western cultures.  But that doesn't really explain the mislabeled colours here.



  • @dphunct said:

    Aren't there people out there that will translate your text for you for a modest fee?  If not, I think I have a new business idea.
    Why, when machine translations are cheaper? The labels on many (primarily, but not limited to) cheap electronic products sold around where I live show clear signs of machine translation (and from what I gather from people that speak other languages that are printed on the labels, the same applies to them).



  • @seaturnip said:

    @belgariontheking said:

    My personal favorite is

    "The ear Michael with put X-360 hand handles or the X-box lead-in hand handles of X-box very easily and directly."

    What was that about ear Michael?

    Definitely a machine translation.  In Chinese it must've been the English loanword "mike", which the translator interpreted as the given name "Mike".

    Even if it was interpreted as the name "Mike", wtf did it change it to "Michael"? Yes I know one is the short form of the other, but that's not a reason to change it.



  • @Thief^ said:

    @seaturnip said:
    @belgariontheking said:

    My personal favorite is

    "The ear Michael with put X-360 hand handles or the X-box lead-in hand handles of X-box very easily and directly."

    What was that about ear Michael?

    Definitely a machine translation.  In Chinese it must've been the English loanword "mike", which the translator interpreted as the given name "Mike".

    Even if it was interpreted as the name "Mike", wtf did it change it to "Michael"? Yes I know one is the short form of the other, but that's not a reason to change it.

    The differences in Hanzi between Michael, Mike and microphone are too big for the source language to be Chinese - only one of three characters are shared.

    If we then assume it was originally Japanese, then it can be well explained by their tendency to abbriviate words by cutting off morae (essentially syllables), although it still doesn't quite match up - Michael is "maikeru", while Mike is "maiku" and microphone is "maiku[rufon]". Korean actually comes way closer in romanization (maikeul/maikeu/maikeu according to Google Translate and a romanization tool), and all three words have the same amount of characters (meaning it could be a typo, either in the product text or in the translator dictionary).



  • @Pidgeot said:

    If we then assume it was originally Japanese, then it can be well explained by their tendency to abbriviate words by cutting off morae (essentially syllables), although it still doesn't quite match up - Michael is "maikeru", while Mike is "maiku" and microphone is "maiku[rufon]". Korean actually comes way closer in romanization (maikeul/maikeu/maikeu according to Google Translate and a romanization tool), and all three words have the same amount of characters (meaning it could be a typo, either in the product text or in the translator dictionary).

    Couldn't it be a typo for Japanese, too? Suppose they meant to type "maikurufon" in full, and instead typed "maikerufon" ("ku" and "ke" are separated by four keys, but it could be a misspelling)



  • @Random832 said:

    Couldn't it be a typo for Japanese, too? Suppose they meant to type "maikurufon" in full, and instead typed "maikerufon" ("ku" and "ke" are separated by four keys, but it could be a misspelling)

    It certainly could - in fact, depending on the keyboard and input method, they'll be separated by 1 (ordered by Kana order, 5 rows), 4 (romaji input) or 5 (direct kana input) keys - but in that case, "fon" would be left hanging. I find it more likely that they simply missed a key in order to add -l to the Hangul.



  • I like this part in red from the bottom:

    • Note this product does not quaranty the proper charge on all the USB devices.
    • We are not responsible for any damage made by misuse, abuse, or improper installation.
    • This product is made according to the safety standard. However, it is your own responsibility to operate with proper care.

    Basically, "This is a piece of shit that will destroy your electronics if you're stupid enough to use it."

    "Which safety standard are they referring to" you ask? Why, it The safety standard of course. It doesn't get any more standardly safe than that.

     



    • Some USB ports are not powered, naturaly it wouldn't charge from them.
      * Did you expect them to elaborate here? Something like: "Do not put your pets in microwave!" and "Warning, the knife is sharp!".
      * Some FCC number is probably printed somewhere.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.