More Windows 11 weirdness...

• So, the machine that I previously ranted a little about in another thread is back in the news. The new weirdness is still related to Windows Update, but on the not-Insider stream this time. (Yes, I learned my lesson, thanks, why are you asking?)

So W11 23H2 is finally out, and in its infinitessimal wisdom, Windows Update won't let me have the update, and it won't tell me why not.

Oh, there's a link to a page that supposedly gives information about why the update is blocked, but all it says is that there is a "safeguard hold" on my machine. What is the problem that has caused this safeguard hold?

Well, here's the information that Microsoft has revealed to me:

--- BEGIN INFORMATION ---
    --- END INFORMATION ---

Yup, that's it. I have at least one safeguard hold on my machine, and Microsoft won't tell me what it is / they are. (If they told me, I could look to see if I could remedy the problem, but apparently it's something fairly specific to my machine (my RTX 2080 Ti? the X299 chipset? my Wacom Intuos Art? my four HDDs configured in a striped storage space? who knows?) or to a group of machines like it. (Yes, I know, there aren't going to be many machines out there truly like mine...)

But they won't tell me. They won't even say "there's a problem with Device X, and we're working with the manufacturer to eliminate the problem"...

😠

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

As long as the latest 22H2 cumulative update has installed, it's just a tiny "enablement" package which can be manually installed if you're brave enough.

• @loopback0 True, but given my past fun and games with Windows Update and this machine, I'm not really feeling brave enough. I'm just frustrated that Microsoft won't say why it's on safeguard hold.

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

@Steve_The_Cynic said in More Windows 11 weirdness...:

@loopback0 True, but given my past fun and games with Windows Update and this machine, I'm not really feeling brave enough. I'm just frustrated that Microsoft won't say why it's on safeguard hold.

Have you tried inserting more coins? :tro-pop:

@Steve_The_Cynic said in More Windows 11 weirdness...:

I'm just frustrated that Microsoft won't say why it's on safeguard hold.

: Can't tell the user what's going on, even if they ask for it! State Secret or might make masters look a bit more bad! :wharrgarbl:

• @Steve_The_Cynic said in More Windows 11 weirdness...:

@loopback0 True, but given my past fun and games with Windows Update and this machine, I'm not really feeling brave enough. I'm just frustrated that Microsoft won't say why it's on safeguard hold.

I think it's manufacturer associated. All my machine except my Dell updated quickly. The Dell wouldn't. (I don't remember if it has yet, or if I manually did it.)

• @dcon Yeah, that's more or less my take on the situation. After all, I have three unknown subminority components in the machine - a processor and chipset from a company I'm sure nobody's ever heard of called "Intel", a network adapter from "Realtek" (what's that?) and a motherboard from, what is it, "Asus", no, never heard of that either...

And the graphics card's from another unknown called "NVidia", wtf is that?...

• @Steve_The_Cynic Do you have more than one monitor? Windows Copilot has a bug with multiple monitors that was putting a hold on updates. I don't know how far that hold extends given Microsoft's current "update in pieces" strategy, and they may have fixed the bug by now, but that seems to be the reason I haven't gotten it yet.

• @Parody I do have two screens, yes, although I'd expect a bug like that to be listed on the "you have a safeguard hold for these reasons" page, seeing as how it seems like a Microsoft bug....

But this being Microsoft working in the modern world where it has become normal to hide information that is scary-looking and useful, who knows...

• @Steve_The_Cynic said in More Windows 11 weirdness...:

@Parody I do have two screens, yes, although I'd expect a bug like that to be listed on the "you have a safeguard hold for these reasons" page, seeing as how it seems like a Microsoft bug....

But this being Microsoft working in the modern world where it has become normal to hide information that is scary-looking and useful, who knows...

I think it's just old-fashioned bureaucracy or incompetence. I had a compatibility hold with a Windows 10 update a couple years ago that didn't show any info in the "more info" thing until the fix was ready. 🤷🏻♂

• That reminds me I have an update that repeatedly fails to install on Win10, probably should go see what it is.

• "Windows 11 weirdness" seems redundant.

• Update: This "evening" (in fact the wee-ish hours of Saturday morning, French time), I checked with Windows update, and now I have information about the safeguard hold that remains:

Well, there you are, an actual issue, even if it's a bit carp.

Note above all:

Next steps: We are working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release.

So this problem with 23H2 will be fixed in 24H2?

• @Steve_The_Cynic I was right! 🎉 🎆

• @Steve_The_Cynic what is Copilot doing where this behaviour would come up???

• @Arantor said in More Windows 11 weirdness...:

@Steve_The_Cynic what is Copilot doing where this behaviour would come up???

If I were to hazard a guess: Copilot opens as a docked sidebar, reducing the space available for other windows on the monitor on which it was invoked. This causes the (partially new) WinUI File Explorer to rearrange the icons on the Desktop to make them stay on-screen, much like when you change resolutions or start a fullscreen exclusive game. As in those situations, Explorer doesn't necessarily pay attention to whether or not the icons would already have been on-screen.

@Steve_The_Cynic

Note We recommend that you do not attempt to manually update to Windows 11, version 23H2 using the Update now button or the Media Creation Tool until this issue has been resolved and the safeguard removed.

Good job I manually updated by directly downloading the .msu file and installing it then!

I have Copilot disabled though so it's not going to be an issue either way.