How should I get cluster information from a remote server?

• I've been writing an asset mapping tool and I keep hitting this roadblock.

When I use WMI to enumerate through MSCluster_Cluster or MSCluster_Node, I keep getting "access denied" errors even though I can access everything else I've tried (drives, shares, local accounts, etc). However on the couple of servers I've RDPed to, I can't open the Failover Cluster Manager at all.

In the meantime, I've had sort of backdoor access. Sending a UDP packet of 0x3 returns a list of SQL Server instances with cluster name in the server name field. Connecting to any of the SQL Server instances lets me get the nodes through the sys_dm_os_cluster_nodes table/view. But I seem to recall other clustering options besides SQL Server that this might not pick up.

But is there a right way to do this? I'm having a surprisingly difficult time finding documentation on WMI alone (when I tried to do this sort of stuff via Win32 a few years ago, all I could find was WMI). Trying to get help with clusters is like trying to search how to do something in JavaScript without jQuery.

• Considered Harmful

@Zenith purely per the Meta, I would try a search via an incognito tab, or maybe even try wayback machine so you can look for your prior results. An IPC standard tends to have decent legs, so the WMI refs you can find are somewhat likely to still be valid, and if not, fairly likely to provide the next breadcrumb toward valid API docs.

You poor bastard, why are you even doing this?

• @Gribnit Because I got a chance to put my money where my mouth is and show I can do better asset management than ServiceHow.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Zenith said in How should I get cluster information from a remote server?:

do better asset management than ServiceHow

A part-burned whiteboard in a locked unlit basement would do that.

• @dkf sign on the door saying “beware of the leopard” is, of course, merely a courtesy detail.