IP Address Management / documentation

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

Way back in the day, my previous employer used IPPlan to record and manage our IP allocations across all of our various sites, which I felt worked reasonably well for the use case. Now that my new gig is getting bigger, I'm trying to go through our IP address management and figure out where everything is... but the current solution is just a bunch of Excel workbooks, one per location with many sheet tabs for the various subnets in service. I'd rather have something a little more central and searchable, but it looks like IPPlan is very much abandonware at this point... does anyone have any other solutions they'd recommend? Free as in beer would be a nice to have so I don't have to deal with the budget process, but I don't mind justifying costs for something that will really save me time and headaches.

• Considered Harmful

@izzion The best source I know of for this is GitHub 15 years ago, I feel like this kind of program was somehow more common then, or maybe that's the last time I thought about writing something like this.

Putting the IPs into a quasispatial relation vs flat seems useful if you want to interop well with CIDRs. A hierarchical key would make sense, per octet / quad maybe. A CIDR could then have its limit records typed to distinguish vs specific addresses and sit in the same tables.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@izzion said in IP Address Management / documentation:

the current solution is just a bunch of Excel workbooks, one per location with many sheet tabs for the various subnets in service. I'd rather have something a little more central and searchable

That sounds exactly like a job for Superman a database.

• My husband at a University/Hospital uses Infoblox.

But expensive and enterprisy. I don't know if they have an offering for a smaller business that makes financial sense because :kneeling_warthog: and 👨🏼 :kneeling_warthog: .

• I second the database idea.

Also, don't forget your DHCP servers are going to have a list of this. If you have good hostnames you might not need a new list at all.

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

Yeah, I guess I am hoping/looking for something with a bit more network aware searchability. Because it’s kind of a pain in the ass to look through alphabetically sorted IP addresses, or click through a bunch of DHCP subnets hunting for something. But maybe it’s just job security by keeping network stuff out of the hands of newbies :mlp_wut:

• @izzion said in IP Address Management / documentation:

Yeah, I guess I am hoping/looking for something with a bit more network aware searchability. Because it’s kind of a pain in the ass to look through alphabetically sorted IP addresses, or click through a bunch of DHCP subnets hunting for something. But maybe it’s just job security by keeping network stuff out of the hands of newbies

This is one thing I like about Ubiquiti stuff. Not that you should change your entire infrastructure to get this one feature. But I wonder if a Unifi controller on each of your networks/subnets would compile a list for you. It seems to detect clients that aren't on its switches or access points, so it could work?

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@izzion said in IP Address Management / documentation:

I am hoping/looking for something with a bit more network aware searchability.

That's the reason I was suggesting a DB; you can put in the searches you want. You've already effectively done the two hardest parts in your spreadsheets; you've got a basic schema and you've populated it with data.