Tesla Owners Get a Little Surprise

• That's what you get for betatesting software which drives a car:

I mean, I also had some "phantom" warnings where the car wanted me to brake (I then get a loud beep and the red LED strip under the windshield flashes bright red) but:
    Due to my HUD I can also actually see what my car wants to warn me about (the detected obstacle on the street is underlined by a big red line) and I could actually understand why the car was freaking out a bit - because I was turning slightly left and was passing a parked car to my right.

However, the system cleared the alarm immediately after it became aware that I would pass the obstacle. And it never engaged emergency brakes. Plus, in the year I'm now driving my ID.3 I've seen that happen three times - and not once after the last big update (which was in August 2021).

Alright, I once got an emergency brake (or, as we say over here: "The car dropped the anchor."): I was reversing slowly out of a parking spot and someone walked in front of my car. Bam! Immediate stop (makes quite a noise, too, the guy walking in front of my car was a bit shocked). Seems that some developer coding that particular algorithm only watched for two conditions: "Car in motion" & "Pedestrian too close in front of car" - and forgot to take the direction of the motion into account.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Rhywden said in Tesla Owners Get a Little Surprise:

I mean, I also had some "phantom" warnings where the car wanted me to brake (I then get a loud beep and the red LED strip under the windshield flashes bright red) but:
    Due to my HUD I can also actually see what my car wants to warn me about (the detected obstacle on the street is underlined by a big red line) and I could actually understand why the car was freaking out a bit - because I was turning slightly left and was passing a parked car to my right.

My car really likes to warn me on one of the streets near here, as it notices the car is moving at about 30 towards a parked vehicle. Which it is; there's always someone parked on the outside of that particular bend, and you're moving at speed exactly so that you can clear the narrow section straight behind you and let someone else through. For some reason I turn the steering wheel when I get to the bend.

The roads really aren't wide enough for the amount of traffic and parking that's about.

• @Rhywden said in Tesla Owners Get a Little Surprise:

Look, when Tesla cars didn't brake often enough, people complained. Now they're complaining that they brake too frequently? 🚎

• Java Dev

@Rhywden said in Tesla Owners Get a Little Surprise:

Seems that some developer coding that particular algorithm only watched for two conditions: "Car in motion" & "Pedestrian too close in front of car" - and forgot to take the direction of the motion into account.

While one would say that such a feature would be particularly desirable when reversing, assuming it is looking at the correct side of the car.

• Considered Harmful

@Zerosquare what we need is one flat braking rate for everyone, once every 7 minutes or something, nice and predictable.