Linux /w KDE Neon: yep I am that adventurous :-D

• /some weeks ago...
    ... the triple-boot-box (1) in my man-cave was running too smoothly and yours truly was somewhat bored I decided to add a fourth one.

Viola: enter KDE Neon / neon.kde.org!
    After some faffing around e.g. en-|disabled <effects> 'cos I either could not stand want /moi was perfectly happy.

BUT: but today my <hopefully minor> OCD | <somewhat strong> muscle memory woke up and since it has been seen it cannae be unseen and therefore bugs me like crazy.

Consider the ..taskbar.. / bottom of the screen:
    fbbd5ccb-fdb9-4063-bac5-0b35db200b40-grafik.png
    -) the "dotty thing" on the left is KDEs 'Start Menu'-Button (to use Windows-Lingo and allow me to continue this)
    -) Chrome-Shortcut
    -) Konsole-Shortcut (=Shell)
    -) Firefox-Shortcut (now "expanded" / "running" since I'm writing this post, without any open apps it looks the same but "just as wide as the icon")

.. all seems to be well, nice and fine but...
    now I decide to open a shell and the taskbar looks thusly:
    830a20e6-f6ef-4d6d-933c-18877d599ef8-grafik.png
    -> notice the modified placement of <Shell>, swapped from "Chrome | Shell | Firefox (expanded)" to "Chrome | Firefox(expanded) | Shell (expanded)"

.. now /moi dares to fire up chrome (hey the box has 8GB of memory, should be able to without bogging down too much...):
    fb5aa59d-ce67-4258-a175-d5cdedf6ff19-grafik.png
    -> the "let's do another re-shuffle of the taskbar 'cos :raisins:" drives me crazy and and please allow me to ask the trusty :trwtf: -community whether it's possible to configure/change this behaviour.

PS: don't ask why the screenshots have a different heigth/width, CBA to investigate, maybe it's just in the preview; I'm somewhat really surprised that 'Shutter' removes itself from the taskbar as soon one attempts to take a screenshot, wow!

Any idea which <incantation> is needed to stop this?
    -> I'm perfectly fine with either
    (preferred) "the shortcuts stay where they are, running apps line up on the right, if possible "grouped", e.g. <Chrome Icon> | <Konsole Icon> | <FF-Icon> |+ [ FF [1..n], Konsole [1..n])]
    or
    "expand shortcuts as needed" e.g.
    <Chrome Icon> [..instances..] | <Konsole Icon [..instances..] | <FF-Icon> [..instances..]

(1) W10 + LinuxCNC to drive the mill + Mint<20.something> for faffin' around with the two 3D-Printers also crowding the cave

Any ideas?

PS: on reviewing this before submitting I'm not quite sure how Mint 20 behaves but I'm quite confident that it's not doing any re-shuffle.

• ♿ (Parody)

@iKnowItsLame right click on the panel, right click on the taskbar to "Configure Taskbar Settings," then change sorting to "Do not sort"?

3f35bd10-ed81-4464-9b29-08110aa66c93-image.png

I'm not sure exactly what you're after, but that's where the sorting is set. :mlp_shrug:

• @boomzilla
    one would ass-u-me that my and your settings...
    bfa86de7-4207-44cf-81f0-a1978b8c3f36-grafik.png
    (thinking that your enabled "Cycle through tasks with..." | my disabled "Zwischen laufenden Programmen ohne...") does not matter

are identical.

True, I haven't mentioned that I already found these and toggled them all -> no change.
    What I did NOT is: logging out / reboot 'cos it "should" not be necessary" (I did try that for the first 5 changes or somesuch, these were -I think, lost track somewhere, so who knows?- visible immediately and that gets old quite fast if you consider the number of possible combinations.

Just to be sure: does your desktop behave someway ..different..?

• ♿ (Parody)

@iKnowItsLame said in Linux /w KDE Neon: yep I am that adventurous :-D:

Just to be sure: does your desktop behave someway ..different..?

I mean...changing the way the taskbar sorts...changes the way the taskbar sorts. As I said, I'm not sure what, exactly, you want to happen, but if it's possible that seems like the most likely way to make it happen. Whatever it is.

• Notification Spam Recipient

What I did NOT is: logging out / reboot 'cos it "should" not be necessary"

You've been away from Windows for far too long...

• Apologies for abandonig this thread last week, other needs said "me me me!" (a.k.a. ran out of beer and got somewhat distracted with "oh my aren't you a precioussss bottlessss of Drambuieses!" and -to add insult to injury- somebody got caughtaccosted by TheWife and .. you know what happened afterwards... (*)

Anyway, back on topic:
    the thing truly driving me crazy (OCD? / muscle memory?) is that the ..taskbar-shuffle.. seems to depend on the how one starts <app>

e.g. (please bear with ASCII-Art, CBA to spin up a VM just to get some screenshots again) and let's treat [n] vs [n*] as [Icon] vs [ExpandedIcon]

<nothing> is running; Startbutton | Chrome | Shell | Firefox, let's call them [0] | [1] | [2] | [3]
    If I fire up FF first, nothing else open it looks -again- like this, allow me a single screenshot:
    448eb8fc-15e6-4d60-88f5-ed8b4108e5cd-grafik.png

therefore the aforementioned ..matrix.. looks thusly:
    [0] | [1] | [2] | [3*]

If one dares to start Chrome (FF: public shite like TDWTF, Chrome: 'things that matter':laugh-harder:) then I would expect something like this:
    [0] | [1*] | [2] | [3*]
    and NOT this:
    b913abcc-7a07-4d30-b4cc-207b175bbe95-grafik.png

Chinese proverb from "Sam Ting JustTheOtherwayAround" if I fire up shell first and then Chrome (FF was/is still open!) it should look like this:
    [0] | [1*] | [2*] | [3*] and not like this:
    002b99cd-19d4-49ee-9787-84c6f4f2ad04-grafik.png

This really really bugs me and I'm quite willing/ready to pick up / carry on the torch -for this part, mind you!- the staff that Blakey (the fucker, I hate him/her for forcing me to get my daily rant/swearword-fix elsewhere) dropped quite some ago, beautiful cunt s/he was/is 😀 )

That being said: I believe that I've tried all possible mutations of aformentioned "Settings" with no visible change of behavior (and therefore agreee that Linux is TheShite, except that Windows shits even more if one allows it to (**)) and beg you to try/repro/faff-around-whateverthefuck and report back to me how to change this behavior.

(*) had to do shit like clearing the dishwasher, take out the trash, mind the cat-litterbox and so on, not what some otherperverts! people might think :surprised-pikachu:

(**) just in yesterday from <customer>: "applying all <needed|required> Windows-Updates on TEST-Server took > 10 hours last week and therefore we cannot apply these at PROD during our usual maintenance-window next thursday. We want to move to <friday> with 'sign-off OK|NOK' therefore required during the weekend 'cos if not we will roll back on sunday; veto anyone?" :trwtf: ?
    /might be useful to comment that the last >10 years WU never caused any troubles with our software (-> contains "Enterprise" in <Name>, !911!) but their shite just gets worse...

That being said, thoughts from my beloved :wtf:-People?

That being said, thoughts from my beloved :wtf:-People?

I have become somewhat invested in the answer, so I'm downloading multiple "flavors" that should be able to have KDE on it.

eaaaa3a8-9cff-40c9-8dd8-fc287ae9e585-image.png

This will take some time...

@Tsaukpaetra said in Linux /w KDE Neon: yep I am that adventurous :-D:

This will take some time...

Here 👏 we 👏 go 👏 !

e2a2ef9e-f2dc-41d1-a4e7-9412b974018a-image.png

Edit: Never fucking mind....

da0b2539-1e47-4222-b6be-fcb67ae589c0-image.png

Here 👏 we 👏 go 👏 !

This is going to take some time...

dfe27310-56ec-4659-8c4f-5ba7d6a27404-image.png

This is going to take some timepatience...

Apparently, Chromium won't install, because raisins.

384e153e-cfb6-4822-b376-78a023a851a8-image.png

Will it tell me why? Will it suggest ways to unfuck it? NO! Why would it?

Sigh. Guess I'll need to delve into the commandline...

Sigh. Guess I'll need to delve into the commandline...

Or just reboot? I guess that un-cucked it and let it install. So now, I have attempted to replicate the initial setup:

442a5d23-939d-4386-97b4-dff97c8291d6-image.png

Launching Firefox...

15152f53-156e-4817-8dcc-73f2246d8e82-image.png

Seems good, launch Konsole...

9fd21245-5c41-4665-bb89-97d0427d41c8-image.png

Well, fuck.

Let's see what the (default) configuration is...

ffdc5ca4-b5cb-4789-80cb-1e77caa008f3-image.png

Un-ticking "Keep launchers separate"... Redo from Firefox launch:

4ee7e0fa-cf5c-4bea-a65e-d1df112b579e-image.png

Launching Konsole...

eb918fdd-5600-4b97-82c7-a90d66819280-image.png

Looking good, launching Chromium?

66fba420-ca07-41f5-9c01-b909946048aa-image.png

Great success!

Mine seems to be more newer I guess?

1893892a-5791-4e17-b197-025fb714bfb0-image.png

Other remarks: I'm not immediately hating this distro.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

Will it tell me why? Will it suggest ways to unfuck it? NO! Why would it?

It knows that Firefox is the superior browser.

• @iKnowItsLame said in Linux /w KDE Neon: yep I am that adventurous :-D:

PS: don't ask why the screenshots have a different heigth/width

It's 🎶👶 resizing your images to a max width of 600px. Viewing the images on their own shows they're (approximately) the same height