OMG I can’t pubstomp noobs any more!!!

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

• " I don’t mind playing against people that are similar to me in skill, but at least tell me where I stand in comparison to others globally. Give me a rank that reflects my skill."

How does that make a difference?

Oh! Of course:—

"You had ranked and unranked playlists, and even the unranked playlist tracked and matched you based on your skill—the sole difference between the two is that one didn't display your skill rating."

According to Hoberman, the reason why Bungie decided to make the distinction between unranked and ranked playlists, despite them running on the same matchmaking systems, was one of perception.

I must say I didn’t know this kind of thing was actually used at all, but then, I hardly play video games. One of the reasons I never really got into PVP in WoW, though, is because I thought I’d end up playing against people who’ve been doing nothing but. This article actually encourages me (a little) to give it a try …

• :belt_onion:

@izzion said in OMG I can’t pubstomp noobs any more!!!:

My first matchmade multiplayer game I played a lot of was Halo: Reach, and it was very obvious at the time that skill-based matchmaking was in use. I genuinely don't understand how anyone is surprised about this. "Oh look, everyone else is about the same rank as me. Wonder why that is!"

In fact it was relatively easy to mess up the system (on accident at first but later on purpose...) by using "guest" users that had no matchmaking history and it would match you up with the "owner" account's level, which, if it was low, made life suuuper easy...

• @Gurth said in OMG I can’t pubstomp noobs any more!!!:

I must say I didn’t know this kind of thing was actually used at all, but then, I hardly play video games. One of the reasons I never really got into PVP in WoW, though, is because I thought I’d end up playing against people who’ve been doing nothing but. This article actually encourages me (a little) to give it a try …

I have no idea what the current state is, but back in 2008/9 when I started, I was genuinely shocked when I killed some other players in PvP. And again. And again. Even to this day, WoW is the only online game ever in which my PvP performance is non-negative.