Started Developer career amidst pandemic, way forward?

• Hi Everyone,
    I started my career as an iOS dev nearly during lockdown and I have lost my job now. I wanted some experienced opinion for way forward.

January 2020 - I had gotten an internship In January 2020.
    I learned swift and the made iOS App for this particular product company which already had its Android app.

March 2020 - Govt declared Nation-wide lockdown and I continued working from home.

Mid June 2020 - The app was live and I demanded for a job offer. I was told that I will continue to get a stipend but a formal offer letter could be worked out in Mid July.

Mid July 2020 - I got the offer letter however, it citied a remarkably lesser salary (Nearly the stipend) With a promise of an offer nearly 3x the amount with other benefits that could be worked on later.
    I was told this because of the Covid situation and it made sense to me because 1. I should be understanding of the fact that it is a world-wide economic crisis.2. I liked the idea and I made the iOS app from scratch so it was like my baby.

Sept 2020 - The company failed to raise more funds, I was not offered the salary that could possibly be worked upon and I continued working for the lesser pay.
    I just thought I have waited enough and I should possibly give it more time because you never know something clicks and everything becomes worth it.

Mid Oct 2020 - "Would not be continuing forward" is the subject of the mail I received which mentions due to economic crisis and lack of funds the company wouldn't need my services anymore.

I have no grudges for not being paid even a standard iOS dev salary as these people literally made my career amidst a global pandemic and now I have an App live on the App store.

I could use some help in terms of how do I proceed for a good iOS developer career?
    Should I choose a product or a service company next?
    Would I now get if not a job at least an internship at FAANG?
    and yeah overall any other advice after reading the whole story would be appreciated :'))

Here's my LinkedIn as a reference.

• Notification Spam Recipient

@Sameeh-Abdul said in Started Developer career amidst pandemic, way forward?:

The company failed to raise more funds,

Yeah, that happens. Been there, done that. Twice.

• @Tsaukpaetra said in Started Developer career amidst pandemic, way forward?:

@Sameeh-Abdul said in Started Developer career amidst pandemic, way forward?:

The company failed to raise more funds,

Yeah, that happens. Been there, done that. Twice.

"One of us ... One of us ..."

• 🚽 Regular

Honestly, I think a lot of it depends on what sector of the software industry you're in. Software's a very horizontal sector, covering many sectors beneath, so obviously if your job is with software dealing with airlines and the travel industry, you're knee deep in the shit. On the other hand, if your job is with cloud-based video conferencing, distance learning, and delivery logistics, you're riding a gravy train.

Best thing to do is look online for jobs in those thriving industries. They're out there, for sure.

• @Sameeh-Abdul said in Started Developer career amidst pandemic, way forward?:

I could use some help in terms of how do I proceed for a good iOS developer career?

Looking at Dice, Indeed, or any of the other online job boards might be a good start. Otherwise, this is a pretty broad question.

Should I choose a product or a service company next?

You should choose a company where:

1. no laws are broken in the course of carrying out your assigned duties
    2. the paychecks clear

Everything else is a nice-to-have.

Would I now get if not a job at least an internship at FAANG?

lolno.

Given that those companies tend to offer the highest salaries, they have never-ending pools of applicants. Some of those applicants have been sitting in front of a computer since they were children. The environment at those companies can be very competitive and toxic. Some people thrive at those companies, but I wouldn't want to work 80 hours a week somewhere where if boss didn't like what I was doing, he had 15 resumes come in that day and could replace me tomorrow.

Instead, I would recommend you find an obscure, boring company that makes boring software that it sells to other boring institutions. It won't be FAANG money, but you'll likely make enough to eke out a comfortable existence.

and yeah overall any other advice after reading the whole story would be appreciated :'))

There are still plenty of businesses that are hiring. I switched jobs several months ago and recruiters still reach out to me. Keep hunting and hopefully you'll find something.

Here's my LinkedIn as a reference.

Big mistake. Now you can't shitpost on this account.