Games with unkillable co-op sidekick?

• Not sure if this has already been asked, but... Does anybody here know any games with an un-killable sidekick that's controllable by a second player, but in a way that can't get in the way, like Tails was in Sonic 2 and 3. I mean, Tails was A.I.-controlled up 'til someone pressed a button on the second controller, and it was literally impossible for it to hinder the gameplay of the primary player either way; Tails could "die" by falling of the screen and reappearing shortly, but there wasn't a penalty for it.

I'm asking because I have a 2 year old kid, and I haven't been able to play much of anything for a year or more. I figure the best way to give myself some quiet time with a keyboard or controller is to include the kid in some way. But he's barely old enough to know not to chew on the controller, and really not competent enough to not get in the way.

So, anyone know a newer game with a similar mechanic to the old Sonics? An un-killable and hinder-incapable sidekick/assist character that could keep the little one busy, but feeling like he's achieving something?

• Super mario galaxy was like that, no idea about the later installments of the game though.

• @Carnage Super Mario. Figures. Thanks, but I'll have to pass on that. I was looking for something less Mario-ish. I got my fill of Italian plumbers long ago.

Funny how I can still be this picky. I tried Lego Star Wars earlier, and got put off by the clunky mechanics.

• Did anyone else originally mis-read the title as "unlikable co-op sidekick"?

• @Mason_Wheeler I considered "immortal", but it has way too many other meanings, in gaming and otherwise. And it could still be misread as "immoral".

• Banned

Rayman Origins and Rayman Legends. Not entirely impossible to hinder gameplay, but you should be okay for the most part.

Edit: or just give your kid the second controller without actually plugging it in. At that age, there's a fair chance they won't notice.

• @Gąska said in Games with unkillable co-op sidekick?:

Rayman Origins and Rayman Legends. Not entirely impossible to hinder gameplay, but you should be okay for the most part.

I'll check those out. Thanks.

Edit: or just give your kid the second controller without actually plugging it in. At that age, there's a fair chance they won't notice.

No chance of that, I'm afraid. I tried once a few months back. He noticed all right. I think the chance of not noticing goes down rapidly around 1 - 1 1/2 years of age.

• @acrow I haven't played video games with any young children but that seems pretty aware for a 2 year old

• @hungrier I couldn't speak for the whole populace, since my sample size is a grand total of one (for now). But thinking logically, at that age the toddler is figuring out how to interface with the world. He presses a button on a toy, and funny sounds come out. He hits the light switch, and the lights turn on. And so on.

In this case, he mashed the buttons on the controller, and then dropped it on the floor, and the character on-screen still ran forward just fine. At that point, I figure, he reached one of 2 conclusions:

1. Buttons no worky.
    2. Too complex. Can't figure it out. Let's find something more fun.

He's not terribly aware. But toddlers are not that stupid either. And lack of effect on a mashed button is rather immediately apparent if the hectic action stops for even a moment. Like if I need to pause the game for a sec.

• Considered Harmful

Super Mario Odyssey does this - the second player controls Cappy.

• @pie_flavor Okay. I watched a Let's Play on that. Unfortunately, the Cappy player can still spam Possess Frog, and a few other tricks. So it's a good candidate for when he turns 3-4yo, but not right now. Thanks anyway.

• @acrow said in Games with unkillable co-op sidekick?:

I'll check those out. Thanks.

FYI: Rayman Legends includes levels from Origins, so you don't necessarily have to buy both.