Android music player apps?

• Any suggestions? I need strong offline support with no intrusive adds. I'm moving away from Google Play Music because it's getting progressively worse and more nagging (plus it's likely on the chopping block with the pushes for Youtube Music).

• I've been using Shuttle for a while and it's working pretty well for me.

• I used to use "Rocket Music Player" but I had some problems with it. I don't know if it was because of my version of Android, or the app, but the app just never remembered what was in my library on my SD card. It always had to scan on start up, and I'm not so disciplined at keeping my phone charges, so that got annoying.

Otherwise, I liked it and would recommend their software. (I've tried a few other apps from that devhouse).

The phone it was on was getting slow and annoying so I wiped it. I haven't gotten around to adding Rocket back in (especially since I got the app and unlocker from the Amazon app store for free and it's a hassle.

• Considered Harmful

Everyone's just voting for their favorite, right?

Ok then. So I've been using Poweramp since about 2013. V3 redesign is a bit wonky UI-wise. If you can get V2 and don't need V3 features, might want to check out that.

Screenshot_20190801-203533.jpg

Though it's got stupidly broken (aggressive) license check. If you don't have some data connection available, it's probably a no go.

• @Applied-Mediocrity Yeah, I'd prefer if it didn't care about being online. I'm gonna be flying a bit this next year and so won't have data (but do need music).

• @Captain said in Android music player apps?:

I used to use "Rocket Music Player" but I had some problems with it. I don't know if it was because of my version of Android, or the app, but the app just never remembered what was in my library on my SD card. It always had to scan on start up, and I'm not so disciplined at keeping my phone charges, so that got annoying.

I've had a similar problem since switching to my current phone. Apparently the SD card sometimes dismounts (possibly when the screen turns off and the SD card isn't being used) and the Android media library has to rescan it.

• @Benjamin-Hall said in Android music player apps?:

I'd prefer if it didn't care about being online. I'm gonna be flying a bit this next year and so won't have data (but do need music).

FYI, you can download songs locally with Google Music. Just add them to a playlist and download it

https://support.google.com/googleplaymusic/answer/1250232

• @TimeBandit said in Android music player apps?:

@Benjamin-Hall said in Android music player apps?:

I'd prefer if it didn't care about being online. I'm gonna be flying a bit this next year and so won't have data (but do need music).

FYI, you can download songs locally with Google Music. Just add them to a playlist and download it

https://support.google.com/googleplaymusic/answer/1250232

Done that, but play music was getting annoying about a bunch of things as I said in the OP.

• I use the VLC app (same as the open source desktop program). It's a general media player instead of just a music player, but I use it since it also handles FLAC files and has a simple library interface.

• 🚽 Regular

@Applied-Mediocrity said in Android music player apps?:

Everyone's just voting for their favorite, right?

I'd vote for my least favorite, but I don't know any, because last time I headerheard music on my phone I just used whatever default player Sony Ericsson put in there.

• Considered Harmful

I have a lot of MP3 files on my device but also an Amazon Music Unlimited subscription. Their app plays both but it's slow and sucky, but it can play both.

I'd like to use something better but I don't think anything else can play the DRMed Amazon Unlimited music, even if it's downloaded to the device.

(I'm hoping someone will step in here and tell me something else can.)

Edit: actually I don't mind the UI at all. It's just so slow, and often times just times out and gives up. Also, for several albums each track shows up twice, so I have to skip every other track.

• I personally use n7player, it has a nice UI and it's easy to use. It costs a few dollars to buy the ad-free version and a few more dollars if you want colour themes and smart playlists (but this isn't necessary, I've been using it for several years without these latest two features).

The license checker for the full version has screwed up a couple of times and reverted me to the free version, but uninstalling and reinstalling the Unlocker usually fixes it without too much trouble.

• I use Mediamonkey (free version), mostly because I've been using the Windows version for a long time. I put things on my phone via USB, letting the desktop app sync and reencode files to save space.

I do have most of my library uploaded to Google Play Music in case I want to play something that isn't on my phone, but I don't use it otherwise. It's been bad for a long time.

• Resident Tankie ☭

My vote for Musicolet.

It fits your requirements to a tee.

• Considered Harmful

I too like Amazon Music.

• Notification Spam Recipient

I use BlackPlayer as it let's me choose albums by artist. Which is a natural way of browsing music in my opinion, unfortunately nowadays everything is a list. Choose artist - 400 songs from all his career are displayed, wtf.

• So I've been trying Shuttle out...and it's got one fatal flaw. It doesn't remember the track list between sessions. If I

1. connect to my car's bluetooth and play music
    2. disconnect
    3. reconnect later

It will have completely forgotten what song was playing and even the queue and reverts back to "all music". Which is not what I want.

Gonna try something else for a while.