Customise topic list

• Not a bug, more like feature request(s), all regarding the way a list of topics (e.g. the /unread page) looks like:

My main pet peeve is the fact that we see the count of posts of the thread rather than the number of unread messages (I posted about that... probably years ago...), but I understand that this requires getting per-user information that's not trivial to get, so I guess it will remain a dream.

I would however have the option to show/hide various fields (or change those that are shown, but different people want different things so it would make sense to have that configurable).

For example, I don't care about "votes", especially since it's only votes on the first post, which does not correlate at all with the "quality" of a thread, so it's useless. Similarly for "views".

Also, with the kind of threads that we have, seeing the avatar of the first poster next to the thread title is kind of pointless, who cares about who started a thread literally years and thousands of posts ago? We have the last poster on the right (with a snipped preview of the message -- which itself is useless most of the time since it usually reads "@another_poster said in This Thread:"), but it would be nice to be able to see the last poster's avatar next to the title and no preview of the last message, for example (the first poster's name is still available below the thread title, in case you care about it).

The indication of the last post's date under the thread title, rather than the first post, is something nice when you're in mobile view, it would be nice to have that as an option as well.

I guess it should be fairly easy to do all that with various CSS rules, but I don't know any, and I think this means it should be even easier to implement as a customisation option?

• ♿ (Parody)

@remi said in Customise topic list:

Also, with the kind of threads that we have, seeing the avatar of the first poster next to the thread title is kind of pointless, who cares about who started a thread literally years and thousands of posts ago?

I actually often use this to help me find particular threads, since I know whose avatar to look for. Especially because of the kinds of threads we have.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@boomzilla said in Customise topic list:

I actually often use this to help me find particular threads, since I know whose avatar to look for.

Yup, me too.

• @boomzilla That makes sense (and since I do rely a lot on avatar's memory to identify posters, I may even be doing the same unconsciously), and with short (or new) threads it also doesn't make sense to show the last poster (i.e. in this thread for example, it's probably more interesting to know that I started it, rather than you responded).

Which is why I think this option, if implemented, should be at least a user choice, not something that can realistically be enforced for everyone.

Having a list of fields you want to see seems a relatively common customisation feature, I don't think it would be too much bloat?

• @remi said in Customise topic list:

For example, I don't care about "votes", especially since it's only votes on the first post, which does not correlate at all with the "quality" of a thread, so it's useless. Similarly for "views".

I have that useless column hidden using custom CSS. At least views and replies have some kind of relationship to the actual topic itself, but I don't think "votes on the first post" is a metric that anyone in the world would ever care about.

e: :hanzo: later in your post

• Considered Harmful

While we're on it, it'd be nice to have a personal "thread index" page which would serve the same purpose as @Zecc's user profile.

@hungrier said in Customise topic list:

I don't think "votes on the first post" is a metric that anyone in the world would ever care about.

Votes on all posts in the thread would be more useful, especially for the Likes thread…

@mott555 said in Customise topic list:

@dkf

ea8773be-2d99-4304-9c51-ceba13d99a04-image.png

We could steal an idea from Chrome-on-Mobile and say Lots :D

• Notification Spam Recipient

Agreed!

• Trolleybus Mechanic

My main pet peeve is the fact that we see the count of posts of the thread rather than the number of unread messages (I posted about that... probably years ago...), but I understand that this requires getting per-user information that's not trivial to get, so I guess it will remain a dream.

Actually this shouldn't be too hard to implement in a simple plugin. NodeBB stores the last post you read in a bookmark. So getting the # of posts after that is pretty simple with db.sortedSetCount('tid:1:posts', yourBookmarkScore, '+inf', next) This would give you the number of posts that have a score(timestamp in this case) bigger than your bookmark, which is essentially the stuff you haven't read in that topic.

• @barisu I would love if someone could do that. I'd offer to give it a try, but I know absolutely nothing about web dev, JS etc. so the effort just to get started seems a bit too much...