Philly/DC trip - researching transit options

• Fake News

Next month, I'm taking the fam to Philly for a few days, then DC for a few days. I know that at least one of youse is familiar with these wretched hives of scum and villainy, so I'd like some advice on how to get between BWI → Philly → DC → BWI, with at least some rail in there (one of the kids is into trains, and we're not renting a car unless we absolutely must). This is what we're thinking currently:

• fly to BWI
    • BWI to Philly center city via Amtrak regional (Acela looks rather pricey, relatively speaking)
    • Philly for a few days, w/ day trip (just ourselves, no luggage) to Valley Forge via SEPTA regional rail to Strafford then Taxi 2.0 to VF
    • Philly to New Carrollton MD via Amtrak regional, then to Arlington VA (hotel) via DC Metro Orange Line
      (Philly to DC Union via Amtrak is another possibility, but then on the Metro we'd need to change between Red and Orange/Silver Lines)
    • DC for a few days, w/ day trip (just ourselves, no luggage) to Mount Vernon (George Washington's digs) via Spirit of Mount Vernon
    • Arlington VA to New Carrollton MD via Orange Line, then to BWI via Amtrak regional (or it looks like MARC is also an option)
    • fly back home

Thoughts on the above? Keep in mind that we'll be dragging enough luggage for two adults and three young children for a week (but we'll likely do laundry halfway through).

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@lolwhat said in Philly/DC trip - researching transit options:

(Philly to DC Union via Amtrak is another possibility, but then on the Metro we'd need to change between Red and Orange/Silver Lines)

Changing between Metro lines is pretty easy IIRC, and in particular Red⇆Orange at Metro Center is very easy. (I used to have an aunt who lived on the route between Dulles and the Vienna metro stop.)

https://www.wmata.com/schedules/maps/upload/2017-System-Map.pdf

• ♿ (Parody)

@dkf said in Philly/DC trip - researching transit options:

Changing between Metro lines is pretty easy IIRC, and in particular Red⇆Orange at Metro Center is very easy. (I used to have an aunt who lived on the route between Dulles and the Vienna metro stop.)

That's true, but toting lots of luggage on the Metro is a major PITA. Also, do not schedule your trips at morning or afternoon rush hour.