Assange Arrested

• BINNED

@The_Quiet_One said in Assange Arrested:

@jinpa said in Assange Arrested:

@El_Heffe said in Assange Arrested:

ProTip: Be a little nicer to people who are trying to help you.

It's also kind of funny, but he's been effectively under house arrest for seven years. If he'd taken his licks, he might have spent a few years in a cushy Federal white collar prison with tennis courts, and maybe he'd be out by now, like Manning.

I don't think he was doing what he was doing to avoid prison. In his eyes he did nothing wrong, so any formal imprisonment is an injustice to him, and he wants to make a statement by defying his political enemies. Giving himself in would satisfy the very people he was up against, and that's the last thing he wanted.

And who’s to say he‘d get a trial instead of ending up in a gulagin Gitmo?

• ♿ (Parody)

@topspin said in Assange Arrested:

It's also kind of funny, but he's been effectively under house arrest for seven years. If he'd taken his licks, he might have spent a few years in a cushy Federal white collar prison with tennis courts, and maybe he'd be out by now, like Manning.

I don't think he was doing what he was doing to avoid prison. In his eyes he did nothing wrong, so any formal imprisonment is an injustice to him, and he wants to make a statement by defying his political enemies. Giving himself in would satisfy the very people he was up against, and that's the last thing he wanted.

People living in the real world, most likely.

• Banned

@Carnage said in Assange Arrested:

@boomzilla said in Assange Arrested:

So, yeah, that's not about publishing the stuff but about helping to crack passwords, which seems pretty legit.

Seems like another WTF on the Army's part. I had thought that Manning had open access to the data. But if it was password protected, and Assange was able to successfully help him guess it, then it suggests one of two possibilities:

• There was no limit on the amount of tries before the account was locked;

• It was ridiculously easy to guess, e.g. "password" or <department name>.

Or wikileaks or Ass-agne had gotten leaks that held the password.

I hope they did. It would clear him of the cracking charge!

• @Gąska said in Assange Arrested:

@Carnage said in Assange Arrested:

So, yeah, that's not about publishing the stuff but about helping to crack passwords, which seems pretty legit.

Seems like another WTF on the Army's part. I had thought that Manning had open access to the data. But if it was password protected, and Assange was able to successfully help him guess it, then it suggests one of two possibilities:

• There was no limit on the amount of tries before the account was locked;

• It was ridiculously easy to guess, e.g. "password" or <department name>.

Or wikileaks or Ass-agne had gotten leaks that held the password.

I hope they did. It would clear him of the cracking charge!

That depends on how the law is worded.

• @topspin said in Assange Arrested:

And who’s to say he‘d get a trial instead of ending up in a gulagin Gitmodead by apparent suicide via two gunshots to the back of the head?

• BINNED

People living in the real world, most likely.

Doubtful.

• @dcon said in Assange Arrested:

The 1927 war movie, or the 1952 western? I suspect @StansaidAirport actually meant Barb Wire.

• ♿ (Parody)

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

There are very unkind rumours that Fiona Onasanya is going to be his legal advisor floating around....</poe>

• Fake News

@PJH said in Assange Arrested:

If he'd just have taken more showers maybe they wouldn't have given him up.

Well at least, after 7 years, they can finally change the bedsheets....

... and incinerate the old ones.

@lolwhat said in Assange Arrested:

... and incinerate the old ones.

I'm sure it'll wash out. Provided the sheets don't crack into pieces when they're folded to go into the machine...

https://youtu.be/E7vAG3_HZR8

• @boomzilla It's funny though, how quickly Trump stated that he knows nothing about Wikileaks.

• Banned

@Rhywden years of conditioning by the media that he must be extremely fast in all his disavowals or they don't count. David Duke anyone?

• @Gąska said in Assange Arrested:

@Rhywden years of conditioning by the media that he must be extremely fast in all his disavowals or they don't count. David Duke anyone?

When the guy previously stated the complete and polar opposite (namely "I love Wikileaks!") then "I don't know them" doesn't really count as a "disavowal". That's not how that works.

It's also not as if he had a problem with equivocating before.

• 🚽 Regular

I'm not sure I believe it, character assassination is a tried-and-true method of deflecting criticism. I think he's a narcissistic asshole and always has been, but this doesn't seem on the level. Especially with the snarky roommate advert from the embassy. It all smells rotten.

• ♿ (Parody)

@Rhywden said in Assange Arrested:

@Gąska said in Assange Arrested:

When the guy previously stated the complete and polar opposite (namely "I love Wikileaks!") then "I don't know them" doesn't really count as a "disavowal". That's not how that works.

I think you're reading way too much into it. He knew that they'd released a bunch of his opponent's emails. I doubt that he knew much more than that. Conspiracy theorizing like you're doing here definitely has a strong history of success though so I can see why you'd keep it up.

• @Cursorkeys said in Assange Arrested:

Especially with the snarky roommate advert from the embassy. It all smells rotten.

I agree, it smells like a rotten vegetable of some kind. An onion maybe.

• 🚽 Regular

@Deadfast said in Assange Arrested:

I agree, it smells like a rotten vegetable of some kind. An onion maybe.

Oh, that's amazing. I'm not going to edit my post. It just didn't surprise me though with the real comments that were being made.

• @boomzilla said in Assange Arrested:

I think you're reading way too much into it. He knew that they'd released a bunch of his opponent's emails. I doubt that he knew much more than that. Conspiracy theorizing like you're doing here definitely has a strong history of success though so I can see why you'd keep it up.

Okay, where am I "conspiracy theorizing" when I only quoted the guy?

Again, he previously said: "I love Wikileaks!" several times and now he's suddenly all "I don't know them!" when asked about the matter. But sure, stating fact you can watch for yourself on TV are now "conspiracy theories".

You're taking this "defend Trump at all costs" a bit far here. A normal person in Trump's position would say "I don't have a position on this yet" or similar. But for Trump it's always the "I don't know this" copout. Just like his "I'm under audit" excuses - yeah, buddy, if your taxes are under audit for years then it's pretty much clear why you don't want to release them...

• Just a reminder: y'all are edging quite close to garage-worthy behavior and topics. Any more and I'll start making reports.

And that's for all sides here.

• @Cursorkeys There have been rumors of how Assange has been annoying his rescuers in the embassy by not washing and spreading his rancid smell, being offensive towards everyone and just quite an annoying asshat in general. The feces bit I've heard before as well, so I'm not entirely surprised by most of the stuff Ecuador says. The truth of all of it, hell if I know, but Assange always was a self absorbed asshat. Being locked up and probably adding a bit of mental issues makes the feces bit at least plausible. And him leaking documents about Ecuador seems like just the thing he'd do.

• ♿ (Parody)

Okay, where am I "conspiracy theorizing" when I only quoted the guy?

Where did you "only quote" the guy?

Again, he previously said: "I love Wikileaks!" several times and now he's suddenly all "I don't know them!" when asked about the matter. But sure, stating fact you can watch for yourself on TV are now "conspiracy theories".

Why are you asking these things when you could have just read my post?

You're taking this "defend Trump at all costs" a bit far here.

It's not going anywhere. I'm just making fun of you for acting like Rachael Maddow.

A normal person in Trump's position would say "I don't have a position on this yet" or similar. But for Trump it's always the "I don't know this" copout. Just like his "I'm under audit" excuses - yeah, buddy, if your taxes are under audit for years then it's pretty much clear why you don't want to release them...

What's clear about it?

• @Cursorkeys said in Assange Arrested:

I'm not sure I believe it, character assassination is a tried-and-true method of deflecting criticism. I think he's a narcissistic asshole and always has been, but this doesn't seem on the level. Especially with the snarky roommate advert from the embassy. It all smells rotten.

"Foreign Minister José Valencia and Interior Minister María Paula Romo accused Assange of ... smearing feces on the walls."

It does seem a bit hard to believe.

• No idea whether any of this is true:

• @HardwareGeek Quite possibly what pushed his asylum providers over the edge, but most of what they are saying about him has been said before over the years, and they've reportedly been quite unhappy with him for years.

Appearing via video link from HM Prison Belmarsh in south-east London, the day after he was sentenced to 50 weeks’ imprisonment for jumping bail, Assange said: “I do not wish to surrender myself for extradition for doing journalism that has won many, many awards and protected many people.”

“I'll take that as a decline," replied District Judge Michael Snow, presiding.

• ♿ (Parody)

@PJH said in Assange Arrested:

'Appearing via video link from HM Prison Belmarsh in south-east London, the day after he was sentenced to 50 weeks’ imprisonment for jumping bail, Assange said: “I do not wish to surrender myself for extradition for doing journalism that has won many, many awards and protected many people.”'

'“I'll take that as a decline," replied District Judge Michael Snow, presiding.'

OK, but what about the extradition for that actual stuff you're charged with?

• Java Dev

And apparently they reopened the rape case. Still on very shaky grounds due to mismanagement of the investigation and I have zero trust in them not continuing to mismanage it due to the prosecutor being incompetent.

• "Documents leaked by Mr. Assange even turned up in Osama bin Laden’s compound, said John C. Demers, assistant attorney general for national security."

• Banned

@jinpa I'd be more surprised if they didn't. And this has nothing to do with Assange personally.

• BINNED

Which ones, then?

He explained that the American prosecutors are not supposed, under UK law, to secure Assange’s extradition on one set of charges and then slap a more serious set on him once they have him in their grasp.

And of course this happened:

@Atazhaia said in Assange Arrested:

And apparently they reopened the rape case.

• ♿ (Parody)

Which ones, then?

He explained that the American prosecutors are not supposed, under UK law, to secure Assange’s extradition on one set of charges and then slap a more serious set on him once they have him in their grasp.

Have they? I thought the deal was that they wouldn't charge him with a capital crime.

And of course this happened:

@Atazhaia said in Assange Arrested:

And apparently they reopened the rape case.

That's Sweden, though, isn't it?

• BINNED

Have they? I thought the deal was that they wouldn't charge him with a capital crime.

The correct question is: will they?

• ♿ (Parody)

The correct question is: will they?

If he escapes custody and goes on a murder spree? Probably.

• @boomzilla And even in that unlikely scenario, those charges would (unless he murdered a Federal official in the course of his/her duties) be filed by the individual state(s) in which he committed those hypothetical murders, not by the United States, i.e., the Federal government with which any such deal was made.

• ♿ (Parody)

@HardwareGeek said in Assange Arrested:

@boomzilla And even in that unlikely scenario, those charges would (unless he murdered a Federal official in the course of his/her duties) be filed by the individual state(s) in which he committed those hypothetical murders, not by the United States, i.e., the Federal government with which any such deal was made.

Not if he was killing Feds.

• @boomzilla I did say "unless he murdered a Federal official".

• @HardwareGeek Or crossed a state border, or any of the other many circumstances that (or so I've heard?) allow the feds to basically take over almost any crime that they'd like to handle themselves rather than letting an individual state handle it...

(although if the goal is to work around a promise that the US government might have made to the UK, I guess they would purposefully ignore such circumstances so as to not break their promise!)

• @remi said in Assange Arrested:

crossed a state border

I'm not an expert, but I think the primary, if not only, involvement of the Feds would be to apprehend or assist in the apprehension of the suspect, to be handed over to the state in which the crime occurred for prosecution.

@remi said in Assange Arrested:

allow the feds to basically take over almost any crime that they'd like to handle themselves rather than letting an individual state handle it

There are a lot of crimes that the Feds can't handle themselves, because they're not illegal under Federal law. (And there are a lot of things that are illegal under Federal law that shouldn't be, because they're outside the Constitutional purview of the Federal government, but that's a separate rant.) The Federal government can assist the states in apprehension and investigation, but the actual prosecution is by the states under state laws.

• @HardwareGeek said in Assange Arrested:

crossed a state border

I'm not an expert, but I think the primary, if not only, involvement of the Feds would be to apprehend or assist in the apprehension of the suspect, to be handed over to the state in which the crime occurred for prosecution.

What if there is one murder on each side of a state border? Does he gets to be prosecuted once in each state, in entirely separated trials, or do the two get lumped together (which I think would make sense) and if so, is it handled by one of the two states (the first one, the last one, the one who arrested the guy, the first to open an investigation, the winner of a toss...), or by the feds? To me it would be reasonable to have the feds taking over in that case?

Also, where can I buy a fast car and which state border is easier to cross inconspicuously?I mean, uh, no officer, that was just a rhetorical question 🕊

• ♿ (Parody)

@HardwareGeek said in Assange Arrested:

crossed a state border

What if there is one murder on each side of a state border? Does he gets to be prosecuted once in each state, in entirely separated trials, or do the two get lumped together (which I think would make sense) and if so, is it handled by one of the two states (the first one, the last one, the one who arrested the guy, the first to open an investigation, the winner of a toss...), or by the feds? To me it would be reasonable to have the feds taking over in that case?

Also, where can I buy a fast car and which state border is easier to cross inconspicuously?I mean, uh, no officer, that was just a rhetorical question 🕊

Multiple trials.

• @boomzilla You mean I can't just go to the four corners, stand in New Mexico, shoot someone in Colorado so the body lands in Utah, and flee into Arizona to avoid prosecution?

• ♿ (Parody)

@hungrier IANAL but my advice is to not do that.

• @hungrier said in Assange Arrested:

I can't just go to the four corners

7642afce-4b44-4a0f-af49-18f47a2579fa-image.png

• @hungrier The Arizona police will arrest you for extradition to Colorado, with a Utah medical examiner testifying against you. New Mexico will just look on in shame.

• @TwelveBaud said in Assange Arrested:

@hungrier The Arizona police will arrest you for extradition to Colorado, with a Utah medical examiner testifying against you. New Mexico will just look on in shame.

If the crime was committed in New Mexico, isn't that where they would try you?

• @jinpa The crime is causing the death of someone located in Colorado, therefore it's prosecuted in Colorado, not New Mexico.

• @TwelveBaud said in Assange Arrested:

@jinpa The crime is causing the death of someone located in Colorado, therefore it's prosecuted in Colorado, not New Mexico.

citation requested.