Game of the Year 2018

• The year is over, so what was the best thing?

I cannot give this to anything but CrossCode, a truly great game released with little fanfare.

👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

How about you guys?

• Considered Harmful

@Magus I liked CrossCode for sure, but I'm going to be careful because its length biases me. I was also big fan of Breathedge, We Happy Few, and Vampyr. But even though I'm automatically horrible for choosing an AAA game, I think the GOTY for me was Super Smash Bros Ultimate.

• I think the only game I've played (more than a demo) in 2018 that was released in 2018 and would reasonably be considered for this type of thing was Subnautica, so I guess I'd give that a nod. However, if I had the system and the games I suspect Spider-Man or God of War would have been my choice.

I was glad that Hero-U was finally released and I enjoyed playing it, but I don't think it's "Game of the Year" material.

It's been a year of playing old games for me, otherwise.

• If we go by game I played the most this year, Factorio wins, even though it's not from this year.

• 🚽 Regular

@Parody said in Game of the Year 2018:

Subnautica

Yep, that would be my vote too. I didn't start with early access so I found it to be a suberbly polished game with a great story. The dynamic music was amazing as well, seemed to always fit perfectly.

• Considered Harmful

It would be Ass. Creed Odyssey, for me.

Easy now. I mean - hey... hey! Keep your hands off me! I mean, as a game it pretty much blows, alright? It's not a good game. I've never even liked Ass. Creed mechanics, with its tacky parkour mechanics, but especially when all that fake-ass sci-fi DNA mumbo-jumbo sets in. Calling the new grinding thing RPG mechanics is pretty much bunkum, too. There are some fun and/or well-done cutscenes, but overall dialogue and design isn't very good either. Even Kassandra (as a character) - and most others while we're at it - turned out to be somewhat disappointing.

Well, except Socrates. Socrates was written by someone who knows the craft. Or appears to know, but possibly may not. Once we define what is known about Socrates and what is not. Keeping in mind we cannot define what we don't know. And what knowing something is...

That said. I don't know how world designers and artists pulled off the world this large and yet not entirely empty. There's probably procedural stuff and most definitely lots of reused stuff, but so far I'm failing to sufficiently recognize it. Ok, except too many goddamn stupid ships. And the rendering tricks required to maintain the immense draw distance without immediately noticeable loss of fidelity is pure technical wizardry.

There are several other open worlds done by the Ubisoft crunch department and others alike, but I'm especially partial to the humid subtropical climate for some reason. Probably because I haven't been actually anywhere close it looks like sort of a nice place to be. As do lots of things from afar. However, that matters enough. I played that stuff to escape the real world, and it was largely successful at that.

Had there been a proper amount of actual substance in there, it would perhaps be a contender for actual GOTY. For now, it's only among those I've bothered to buy (and actually run) or try.

• I'll go for Pillars of Eternity II.

That and Pathfinder Kingmaker were the games I spent any significant amount of time on this year. Of the two, I think I prefer the slightly more streamlined PoE II.

There were a few other releases that I was looking forward to, but didn't end up playing. Just Cause 4 got pretty terrible reviews, and they apparently didn't fix the problems that JC3 had. Haven't got around to X4 yet, but that one at least has some promise.

• Considered Harmful

Wait, Subnautica was 2018? Vote changed. Subnautica for sure.

• Considered Harmful

@Magus said in Game of the Year 2018:

a truly great game

Perhaps, you might say, the ultimate experience.

• Notification Spam Recipient

Exapunks.