Anyone here play strategy games?

• I've been playing stuff like Rome, Hearts of Iron, OffWorld Trading company etc.

I know that the last one is more of a management game but you play it in a strategic context.

• @sweaty_gammon I spent a great deal of time on RTS growing up — the early Command & Conquer series, Age of Empires II, Cossacks, Railroad Tycoon… as well as strategy-ish games like Dungeon Keeper and SimCity 2K. Very fond memories of those days.

• @DCoder I am of the same ilk. I play a lot of more management games now. I think this is due to there not being a lot of RTS other than StarCraft.

I am not too fond of it because it is micro strategy rather than actual strategy.

• @sweaty_gammon Not too much lately; I've been playing through various RPGs I never got around to playing or gave up on at the time. The time I might have spent playing, oh, one of the Civ games I've been using to play board games with my friends.

• @Parody said in Anyone here play strategy games?:

board games

I recently got my parents interested in Scrabble and the like. They like the mental exercise, and it's a nice reason to meet up more often.

• Every time I try to get back in to Starcraft (Brood War or 2, doesn't matter), I forget that it's a game that requires juggling multiple things in one's head at once, and my mind is a "one-thing-at-a-time" type.

And then my friends are bemused that I always Forge first, which is a habit you tend to pick up when there's a good chance each game you will get 1) sevenpooled, 2) cannon rushed, or 3) cannon contained.

• The Settlers of Catan was also classic to me when I was in secondary school.

• @sweaty_gammon said in Anyone here play strategy games?:

@DCoder I am of the same ilk. I play a lot of more management games now. I think this is due to there not being a lot of RTS other than StarCraft.

❓❓❓❓❓❓❓

Here are the war real time strategy games in my library:

• MechCommander 2
    • Starcraft (w/ Brood War)
    • Dune 2000
    • Command & Conquer: Tiberian Dawn (w/ Covert Operations)
    • Command & Conquer: Red Alert (w/ Counterstrike and the Aftermath)
    • Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun (w/ Firestorm)
    • Red Alert 2 (w/ Yuri's Revenge)
    • Command & Conquer: Generals (w/ Zero Hour)
    • Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars (w/ Kane's Wrath)
    • Age of Empires (w/ Rise of Rome)
    • Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings (w/ the Conquerors)
    • The Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle Earth
    • The Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle Earth II
    • Age of Mythology
    • Earth 2150: Escape from the Blue Planet (w/ the Moon Project and Lost Souls)
    • World War II: Panzer Claws
    • World War III: Black Gold
    • Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War
    • Empire Earth (w/ the Art of Conquest)
    • Sid Meier's Gettysburg
    • Codename: Panzers Phase One

For non-war real time strategy games (aka management games), I think I have only Theme Hospital (one of the silliest, weirdest, and funniest games I've ever seen) and Cities in Motion 2 (which I find exceptionally boring).

I am not too fond of it because it is micro strategy rather than actual strategy.

I get you. I generally don't play RTS games online because they're often more about actions per second and memorized build orders than they are about outsmarting your opponent.

• @DCoder said in Anyone here play strategy games?:

@Parody said in Anyone here play strategy games?:

board games

I recently got my parents interested in Scrabble and the like. They like the mental exercise, and it's a nice reason to meet up more often.

I might get a smart phone so I can play Scrabble with my mom and grandma. They're both cutthroat Scrabble players, and I like that kind of challenge. :D

• @cheong said in Anyone here play strategy games?:

The Settlers of Catan

That's one of my favorite board games!

• Java Dev

@djls45 said in Anyone here play strategy games?:

Here are the war real time strategy games in my library:

I suspect he meant to say recent?

Theme Hospital

I've been encountering let's plays of a recent game called Two Point Hospital on my youtube feed, which seems quite similar to Theme Hospital.

• Considered Harmful

I'm not a giant fan of strategy because I don't play video games for the intellectual challenge, but to have fun. It's escapism, like fiction books. And the more required menus a game has, the harder it is to lose yourself in it. Strategy is a genre where it is almost nothing but menus.

• Resident Tankie ☭

@pie_flavor C&C (the classic ones at least, I played mostly Red Alert II) manages to combine the strategy aspect with escapism. It's goofy stuff and the strategy is really quite superficial at the end of the day.

A friend of mine was into games such as Shogun. I've never played that game, but the little I saw looked like work.

• 🚽 Regular

@pie_flavor said in Anyone here play strategy games?:

I'm not a giant fan of strategy because I don't play video games for the intellectual challenge, but to have fun. It's escapism, like fiction books. And the more required menus a game has, the harder it is to lose yourself in it. Strategy is a genre where it is almost nothing but menus.

I installed Faeria when it was free-to-play, thinking "meh, card-collecting game, I'm going to play 10 minutes and uninstall, not my cup of tea, whatever, it's free". That was what must have been thousands of games ago.

It's like a super-light version of Magic the Gathering. Games take just a couple of minutes, and — and this is what makes me love this game personally — the focus is not on collecting cards or building a deck, but on gaining control of the hexagonal board and dealing damage to your opponent, game to game. I suppose you could say this game is less about strategy than it is about simple tactics.

Another reasong to like this game: they have an in-game store where you can buy a couple of perks, but it's mostly just purely cosmetic stuff. They are not pushy at all, and if you're willing to put time rather than money in this game, you can. The store just sits there and you can easily completely ignore it.

It's no longer free-to-play though. Would I still recommend it at it's current price? Hm, I guess?

I'd definitely recommend it if it was cheaper (then again, I'm a cheapskate). Heck, I might buy a couple of expansions just because these guys earned it.

PS: no idea what the community is like. I've only played single-player. There's a surprising amount of content and variety there, and I find the AI pretty decent to play with; ie, there's a good lose-to-win ratio.

• Notification Spam Recipient

Command & Conquer: Generals (w/ Zero Hour)

I read that as:

Command & Conquer: Genitals (w/ Zero Hour)

• @pie_flavor said in Anyone here play strategy games?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPEdBQi-vFA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsJkATiUXSk

Traditional RTS is quite campy pantomime nonsense. Especially with Command and Conquer. The GLA faction in General lets you "build a terrorist". There is noway they could get away with making this today.

Sure there is Total War, but CA have gone down the less hardcore route (while alienating their fanbase).