Where am I standing as a programmer?

• @Gąska said in Where am I standing as a programmer?:

While I know you have good intentions (is it appropriate to say "I appreciate the sentiment" if I'm not the recipient of his words?), I know first hand that recruitment in different countries works completely differently, in pretty much every way. I've spent nearly a year looking for a job in USA, to no avail. Then I went back to Poland, and managed to get 2 excellent offers in just 3 weeks - and it wasn't even through my connections.

Yes, I gather a migrant looking for an entry programming job in US is about the worst position you can be in (if they wanted a foreigner, they can just outsource for much less money).

So whatever you have to say, most likely isn't applicable to USA.

Pro-tip: by reading posts before replying, you'll know exactly what the other person is trying to say.

• Notification Spam Recipient

@Groaner said in Where am I standing as a programmer?:

@Tsaukpaetra said in Where am I standing as a programmer?:

@Groaner said in Where am I standing as a programmer?:

Being that they are in the midst of a crisis, they may not have adequate resources to devote to vetting candidates, so when some guy enthusiastically comes out of the blue offering to solve their problem who seems to meet the qualifications, it can be like a dream come true.

👋 That's how I shoved myself into my current position!

And I, mine.

Granted, it's a startup with all the stigma, but it did work....

1. Do the paychecks clear?
    2. In the course of your duties, are you breaking any laws?

If the answers are Yes and No, there should be nothing to worry about.

1. For now...
    2. Well, there's the GDPR and COPA we're sweating about right now...

• Banned

@cartman82 said in Where am I standing as a programmer?:

@Gąska said in Where am I standing as a programmer?:

While I know you have good intentions (is it appropriate to say "I appreciate the sentiment" if I'm not the recipient of his words?), I know first hand that recruitment in different countries works completely differently, in pretty much every way. I've spent nearly a year looking for a job in USA, to no avail. Then I went back to Poland, and managed to get 2 excellent offers in just 3 weeks - and it wasn't even through my connections.

Yes, I gather a migrant looking for an entry programming job in US is about the worst position you can be in (if they wanted a foreigner, they can just outsource for much less money).

It has less to do with being a foreigner and more with not knowing local culture, and all its unspoken rules.

So whatever you have to say, most likely isn't applicable to USA.

Pro-tip: by reading posts before replying, you'll know exactly what the other person is trying to say.

Let me be more specific: what you said about corporations, DBs and Android projects probably isn't applicable to USA (or doesn't have the same impact as in your home country). I mean, they even write past job descriptions in resumes in a completely different way than in Europe.

• ♿ (Parody)

@Gąska said in Where am I standing as a programmer?:

@blakeyrat I've worked as part-time employee for half a year in 3 different shops, every week I worked between 30 and 40 hours (occasionally more than 40, not a single time less than 30), I've had lots of coworkers in the same situation - and not once I've heard of an option to get covered by employer. I don't know if it's entirely legal, but I know this is the reality if you work within margin error of minimum wage.

There are thresholds for the minimum number of employees before those requirements take effect as well. ISTR you were working retail, so small stores could very easily fall below the employee count threshold.

• Considered Harmful

Probably around 3/10 or so unless you are a sheer terror with algorithms or some other redeeming factor. But, if you were really good before you went fallow, could be better than that. I wouldn't hire you.

• @Ascendant Are things moving? How's the Job hunt going on?

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Gribnit said in Where am I standing as a programmer?:

a sheer terror with algorithms

Creating programs by threatening the computer with a tesla coil and a baseball bat? Hmm…

• @dkf said in Where am I standing as a programmer?:

threatening the computer with a tesla coil and a baseball bat?

When my computer misbehave, I warn it that I could install Windows 10 :trollface: