Your password is nearly old enough to enter 4th grade...

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

0_1518195220533_23d7ce80-f33e-4f1b-a3f8-6e7b4bd19a6c-image.png

• I found an old account I created when I was 11 (over ten years ago) to share levels for N back when it was just a flash game executable. The website is so old that there's no functionality to change or reset passwords, at least not that I could find. It let me change my email address easily enough.

• There is a site where I created an account almost 17 years ago and haven't changed the password ever since. Old enough to drive, but it still has to wait a bit until it can drink itself to oblivion.

Is it worse that this password was the automatically generated one I got when creating the account?

• My Slashdot uid is six digits starting with a 1 which makes it 20 years old this year. We've been out drinking regularly!

And I had my login stored in a bookmark. Might have even been in del.icio.us.

• BINNED

There's a discussion forum that I still visit occasionally even today. I'm 29, and my account there was opened in February 2003 - 15 years ago. I've been there for more than half my life now. The realization hit me pretty hard a while ago.

The forum is still somewhat active and almost everyone who posts there has met everyone else at least once, but everyone still trolls the hell out of each other, the place is shitlord central. I used to be famous there for being banned from over 500 threads. IIRC there were 7 hate threads about me running at the same time at one point.

Man, I used to be such an annoying little shithead, good thing I grew out of it.

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

@blek
    Hooray for becoming an annoying big shithead 🍹 🎉 🎊 🎉

• I'm pretty sure I've been using the same password (the one in this very account) for at least 10 years. It's only for low-security accounts so I don't really care much.

According to https://haveibeenpwned.com/Passwords it's only been leaked twice, which is surprisingly low.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@zemm said in Your password is nearly old enough to enter 4th grade...:

My Slashdot uid is six digits starting with a 1 which makes it 20 years old this year. We've been out drinking regularly!

Don't want to think about mine being only 5...

• @pjh said in Your password is nearly old enough to enter 4th grade...:

@zemm said in Your password is nearly old enough to enter 4th grade...:

My Slashdot uid is six digits starting with a 1 which makes it 20 years old this year. We've been out drinking regularly!

Don't want to think about mine being only 5...

Also 5 digits. And I got one of the T-shirts for drawing a logo they used for one day in the month they were celebrating their 15th anniversary. Of course, these days they are having too much trouble just keeping the site online to celebrate 20. I've changed my password there once or twice over the 20 years; I know the original one (which was used on countless different web sites when I was young and stupid) has been compromised.

Bonus WTF (or, how many WTFs are there in this paragraph?): Originally I was /dev/joe there with the slashes. 20 years ago, people didn't think about you having a different display name from your username the way some sites do now, so that was actually the username I logged in with. At some point, some rewrite of their login system broke it so logging in with username and password didn't work if your username had slashes, and I poked them about it but nothing was done. I was still able to log in using OpenID from a livejournal account I had linked there, so I didn't bug them too hard about it for a couple more years. When that broke too I had to poke them again about the problem and eventually they just made me devjoe without the slashes rather than fix their bugs. And, keep in mind, this is SLASHdot.