Verbing wierds language



  • I just got a change request with the following title. My question is, of the six words in the sentence, which of the four verb-like words is actually the verb?


    "Display toggle view links more visibly"



  • I'd go for Display.



  • Could have been worse, with just a little effort, it could have been, "Visiblize display toggle links more" :)

    -cw



  • It's a change request, therefore an imperative.  I would presume, like most imperatives, the verb is the first word, with the subject "you" being implict.  To rephrase it, "Would you please display the links for the toggle view function in a more visible fashion?"

     

    Hey, I got to say "first" and be on topic.  Even though I'm not first.



  • @Carnildo said:


    "Display toggle view links more visibly"

    Display. 



  • For the want of punctuation:

    Display "toggle view links" more visibly.
     

    Similarly, "I helped my uncle, Jack, off a horse" means something quite different when you remove the commas. 



  • @WhatTheFrack said:

    For the want of punctuation:

    Display "toggle view links" more visibly.
     

    Similarly, "I helped my uncle, Jack, off a horse" means something quite different when you remove the commas. 

    I help my uncle Jack off horses all the time. He usually needs help with big horses. What's wrong with that?
     



  • @annc said:

    I help my uncle Jack off horses all the time. He usually needs help with big horses. What's wrong with that?
     

     

    ./me tries desperately not to think of Borat and his "sexy time explosion" job. 



  • @Carnildo said:

    I just got a change request with the following title. My question is, of the six words in the sentence, which of the four verb-like words is actually the verb?


    "Display toggle view links more visibly"

    What does "verbize" have to do with this?

    The sentence would be much more readable if the correct grammar was used.  "more visibly?"

    I am hoping that the description actually suggests how to display this item more visibly.



  • wierds -> weirds

    Remember, i before e, except after c, or 58 other exception cases including things like 'weird'.



  • @pinkduck said:

    wierds -> weirds

    Remember, i before e, except after c, or 58 other exception cases including things like 'weird'.

    I go by the fact that's it's pronounced "weird", not "wierd".



  • Think of it this way:

     

    toggleViewLinks.display(moreVisibly);

     



  • Whippersnapper.

     

    display(toggleViewLinks, moreVisibly);




  • @Zylon said:

    display(toggleViewLinks, moreVisibly);

    //a global
    $viewlinks;

    increment(display_toggle["visibly"])



  • @Carnildo said:

    I just got a change request with the following title. My question is, of the six words in the sentence, which of the four verb-like words is actually the verb?

    "Display toggle view links more visibly"

    I vote that you proceed as if "links" were the verb, and thus make the [display toggle view] link [less visibly (to something)]. 



  • @annc said:

    I help my uncle Jack off horses all the time. He usually needs help with big horses. What's wrong with that?
     

    Having lived through the 1960's, when "off" was a verb meaning "buttbuttinate" (as in "Off the Pig!"), I see yet another way to parse this.

     



  • @newfweiler said:

    Having lived through the 1960's, when "off" was a verb meaning "buttbuttinate" (as in "Off the Pig!")

    What. The. Fuck. 



  • @Zylon said:

    @newfweiler said:

    Having lived through the 1960's, when "off" was a verb meaning "buttbuttinate" (as in "Off the Pig!")

    What. The. Fuck. 

    Please don't use such crbutt language in this forum... we're trying to keep it clbutty, you know.



  • @djork said:

    @Zylon said:

    @newfweiler said:

    Having lived through the 1960's, when "off" was a verb meaning "buttbuttinate" (as in "Off the Pig!")

    What. The. Fuck. 

    Please don't use such crbutt language in this forum... we're trying to keep it clbutty, you know.

    You know, that totally would have solved Alex's problem which prompted the site rename.  Just call it The Daily WTHSIW (What The Have Sexual Intercourse With).



  • @Zylon said:

    @newfweiler said:

    Having lived through the 1960's, when "off" was a verb meaning "buttbuttinate" (as in "Off the Pig!")

    What. The. Fuck. 

    "Buttbuttinate" is an "inside joke".  Another thread here was talking about filters that change "classic" to "clbuttic".  Get it?

    "Off" was slang for "assassinate" in the 1960's.  "Off the Pig!" was a slogan that advocated the killing of police officers.  (Nobody advocates the killing of police officers anymore.)  So "helping my uncle, Jack, off horses" could refer to assisting in equine assassination.

     


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.