Excessive Overheads

• Read this in a news article (the about of which I think is irrelevant). A Cargo / Supercargo ratio of 3:1 :wtf:

It has two Boeing 737-400 planes in its fleet, each able to carry about 180 passengers, eight pilots and 50 crew.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@loose I can find a way to parse that that makes sense:

It has two Boeing 737-400 planes in its fleet (each able to carry about 180 passengers), eight pilots and 50 crew.

But if they'd meant that, they'd have written it…

• @loose Airliners back in the 1940s and 1950s had crew-passenger ratios like that. Is it like a super-luxury airline? Or is it like a military aircraft with some advanced radar system that requires a lot of handlers?

By clipping the context, you've made it impossible to judge whether this is a WTF or not.

But don't worry, any second how this thread'll be positively stuffed with people calling me an idiot for not instantly getting the WTF. Because I'm sure I'm wrong and stupid somehow, I just don't immediately see how.

• :belt_onion:

@loose
    It is unlikely that a single plane has 8 pilots and a crew of 50. That's most likely the total number of people assigned to that plane, who work in small rotating crews.

Unless the 737-400 has a dispHTMLElementCollection interface. Then, all bets are off.

• BINNED

It's obvious, really. The 50 crew are people who pedal really hard to run the engines. Out of the 8 pilots, two are flying the plane and the other 6 bang drums and whip any slackers.

• @loose 8 pilots, of which 2 are flying the plane and 6 are a Steering Committee producing paperwork.

• @blakeyrat This is the news article concerned:

I didn't think it was relevant because I reckoned that it would cloud the issue, so to speak. But since you asked...

INB4: Yes I know, I went ahead and done it anyway. But sometimes you have to prioritize.

@dkf got it right first go.

As to the why I considered it a :wtf: is because of the confusing way it was written. Why it should be an issue to me is for discussion elsewhere.

Edit: Forgot the link :facepalm:

• Java Dev

@loose said in Excessive Overheads:

Read this in a news article (the about of which I think is irrelevant). A Cargo / Supercargo ratio of 3:1 :wtf:

It has two Boeing 737-400 planes in its fleet, each able to carry about 180 passengers, eight pilots and 50 crew.

Cruise ships tend to come between 3:2 and 1:1, I think?

• area_pol

The style of the article is "sentences loosely connected by topic as if written by someone half asleep", so a mistake in the numbers is to be expected.

According to this, the plane should have 188 seats + 2 pilot seats:

• While there isn't generally any public information available as to the specific configurations, but most major large passenger airplanes include secret crew quarters or "rest areas" hidden from view. So 8 pilots is possible - depending on how the carrier configured their rest area. In addition, crew seating is never taken in consideration as well in publicly available information, and there could be a chance there is crew seating below deck along with the storage for food and other crew related spaces.

• @InariTheFox I predict that you, UnderpantsFox, will be a more welcome existence than the fell Brafox.

A positive fox population again!

• Java Dev

@Magus said in Excessive Overheads:

@InariTheFox I predict that you, UnderpantsFox, will be a more welcome existence than the fell Brafox.

That is not a high bar.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@InariTheFox said in Excessive Overheads:

So 8 pilots is possible

Unlikely on a single civilian flight though; we don't keep commercial airliners in the air that long. Given that the airline is on the Malaysia/Mecca route, which is long-haul (around 7000km, similar in scale to NYC/Hawaii) having extra pilots is quite possible. But not guaranteed; more likely to have just one pair per flight, with a pair resting at each end so that they'll be ready to switch back to the other aircraft. The aircraft themselves will be flown as often as possible, as the loan for them is by far the largest cost other than fuel (and that will be covered directly by ticket prices). Similar reasoning applies to the rest of the crew giving around 12 people per flight, or more likely fewer per flight with a longer rota; much of the ground support can be handled by contractors (and that's a pretty common arrangement anyway). I also don't think that there's much of a crew rest area on the plane. It's just a smaller 737 after all…

The more I think about the numbers, the more I think that this was a fly by night operation. Which is exactly what regulators seem to have thought as well. :)

• Obligatory (and somewhat appropriate) xkcd:

Cirith Ungol

Tip: It's in the title text.

• Notification Spam Recipient

Obligatory (and somewhat appropriate) xkcd:

Cirith Ungol

Tip: It's in the title text.

What is this "Cirith Ungol" you alt-text of?

• TL;DR It's the place where Frodo does his thing with Shelob (the big spider)

Link to page: https://xkcd.com/1087/

• @loose said in Excessive Overheads:

It's the place where Frodo does his thing with Shelob (the big spider)

:giggity:

UGH, TERRIBLE THOUGHT!

Not even the spider from monmusu.

• Notification Spam Recipient

@Magus said in Excessive Overheads:

UGH, TERRIBLE THOUGHT!

Need more action? Apparently what.thedailywtf.com is the place to get some!