Path of Exile

• @PleegWat You have to be really careful when he casts Hands (I don't care what its actually called!). Makes it hard to dodge his other stuff. But yeah, dodging is very important in that fight. And pretty impossible in the merciless version.

• Java Dev

@Magus Yeah, and that would've been a lot more frustrating if he'd reset on death like d3 bosses do.

Honestly I'm with d3 on that one. Corpse running is a very unfun tactic.

• @PleegWat Come on, Cast on Death is totally a viable build! Really!

• Java Dev

@Magus I'd expect it's impossible to gain any levels with it, even on cruel?

• @PleegWat Yeah. I mean it's funny, but...

• Java Dev

@Magus Well, DPS-wise I've got something that seems to work more or less. As long as I've got room to back away. The boss encounters are horrible because either you don't have room to run away, or you do but you can't see the boss anymore (and the audio clues are lacking). Open world and knowing which offscreen direction to send arrows to works fine.

• @PleegWat Once you get Harrier and Hired Killer, go along the bottom of the scion area, grab sentinal and the resist nodes there. Maybe circle over to the life and eat all of it.

• Java Dev

@Magus That was more or less the intention. I'm considering Path of the Hunter may be worthwhile too. And I'll probably end up getting Avatar of the Hunt at some point - was starting to that ages ago when I decided I needed more defensive passives.

• So, my current bladefall cast on crit ranger, VanillaIceTheFifth, is now in merciless. She's still wearing a Tabula Rasa, and has some amazing damage output, but Izaro just murders me in cruel. Almost to the scion's life cluster, which may solve the problem. I use a diamond flask so I can reroll my crits, but don't usually need it.

I also have another crit build in the works, SilverChariot, who with any luck will trigger blade vortex from cyclone to very good effect. Might even use righteous fire, for additional melting power. Not 38 yet, though.

• So, ground maps with my Cast on Crit build until I managed it: we now all have <TDWTF> in front of our names!

Also, these race leagues are pretty great, even if the next three days don't have guaranteed strongboxes, exiles, and warbands.

• So in the flashback league, my chaos witch has beaten all of act 3 cruel except Dominus, and I can now confirm that this build is best as a witch and not a shadow.

I also found some 784% damage Facebreakers, which is pretty good since the max roll currently is 800. I don't know if I really want to build around it, but it's still cool.

Flashback leagues are the best though. Seriously.

• Progress report:

VanillaIceTheFifth is level 71 and has done some maps, and I nearly have Elreon to level 7, which will unlock a larger library and my 23rd challenge. I have 3 days of the flashback and then 8 more perandus to get a 24th challenge complete, at which point I'll get a really cool limited edition weapon effect. Still sad I'll never finish the last 12 and get the coolest portal effect ever.

I have NeverFallInvincible to cruel act 2 with one of my friends who's doing a crit build, though he's died a couple times. Warbands can be dangerous. We found a couple cool uniques, including a Drillneck. My chaos witch is going crazily well, and I cannot stress enough that witch is the way to go with chaos spells. Shadow is cool, but going occultist just makes everything better. It's an odd build, because cast speed and more projectiles/spell echo don't help much. Just raw spell damage.

• PROPHECY LEAGUE ANNOUNCED!

So, we all get skill resets, there's a fourth map-labyrinth, cool challenges, some old lame uniques are now upgradeable into crazy items, and there are cool new ice skills.

I'm not sure what I'll go for first, but I suggest that anyone starting out should consider a chaos witch this time around: wands are going to have better implicit spell damage, so you should have more damage, and you don't benefit from as many specific items, so you should be able to collect items for your other characters.

• So, the flashback league ended. The last two days were kind of awful: we got cool things, but ghost possessed demons showing up while you're fighting a warband and an invasion boss is NOT FUN.

Did the cruel ascension with my chaos witch, and tried to carry my friends through, but the boss was much harder with three of us. His final form killed me with like 1/8 life left. My friends ran in and both got oneshot.

I also got some cool gloves that are a labyrinth unique, that slow down your movespeed and projectile speed, but give 50% increased projectile damage, possibly making them completely amazing.

• @Magus I've started playing path of exile after reading this thread, but it seens that everything I try to do at this game either requires real expensive items, leveling up as another build or both.

I guess I had too many expectations about the build freedom allowed.

• @Sentenryu said in Path of Exile:

I guess I had too many expectations about the build freedom allowed.

There's never a whole lot of build freedom, because the majority of players will drift towards the more effective builds, and then the devs will have to balance around those.

I suppose that mimics real life though.

Not a whole lot of use for general studies degrees.

• @xaade mostly the problem is with the absurd cast times the skills have. Phase Run for example, is completelly useless as a movement skill, even tho it boosts your move speed, you still take the same ammount of time to get anywhere due to the cast time.

Blade Vortex is a cool skill, but you can't move while casting, as such it's not really pratical to keep more than 3 blades active

Righteous fire is awesome, but you either build around it with several expensive uniques (and then you can leave it active all the time and lose the aspect that diferentiates it the most) or you just die trying to use it.

I was going for a Trickster with Walk the Aether build (your movement skills cost no mana) but I can't find a way to actually beat the labyrinth with this build.

@xaade mostly the problem is with the absurd cast times the skills have. Phase Run for example, is completelly useless as a movement skill, even tho it boosts your move speed, you still take the same ammount of time to get anywhere due to the cast time.

Blade Vortex is a cool skill, but you can't move while casting, as such it's not really pratical to keep more than 3 blades active

Righteous fire is awesome, but you either build around it with several expensive uniques (and then you can leave it active all the time and lose the aspect that diferentiates it the most) or you just die trying to use it.

I was going for a Trickster with Walk the Aether build (your movement skills cost no mana) but I can't find a way to actually beat the labyrinth with this build.

The best things to do with Walk the Aether (in my mind) seem to be Cyclone or Flicker Strike as they both count as movement skills which when 6L'd can cost a fair amount of mana. However I believe the big draw of Trickster is the Ghost Dance / Shade Form path which boosts your survivability a ton.

Blade Vortex is a cool yet weird build where you want a lot of skill duration and cast speed to stack blades.

Lab is annoying, unless they did something to it the last time I played the best bet is to just Quicksilver through traps and potion through them with Immortal Call.

As for Phase Run....yeah it is kind of weird. It was removed in patch 0.10.0 and only recently did it come back and I am not sure if they ever fixed any issues with it. It seems to be one of the weaker move speed skills. Whirling Blades, Leap Slam, and Lightning Warp are my favorites out of the "pure" movement skills. I say pure because they don't really do much damage ever unlike Cyclone and Flicker which just happen to have the movement tag.

@Magus I've started playing path of exile after reading this thread, but it seens that everything I try to do at this game either requires real expensive items, leveling up as another build or both.

Nah, tell me about it and I can probably give you some advice. You are now more than ever capable of just trying things.

@xaade said in Path of Exile:

There's never a whole lot of build freedom, because the majority of players will drift towards the more effective builds, and then the devs will have to balance around those.

The second, but not the first. You can do really insane dumb things now, especially with all the specific skill unique jewels.

@Sentenryu said in Path of Exile:

@xaade mostly the problem is with the absurd cast times the skills have. Phase Run for example, is completelly useless as a movement skill, even tho it boosts your move speed, you still take the same ammount of time to get anywhere due to the cast time.

Phase run is kind of in a bad state. It was overused and in literally every build, and they had to take it out for a while until they got the balance right. It's now really weak, but interesting.

Mostly, people try to come up with more ways to do this. Casting takes time, but with enough skill duration, you could probably keep upwards of 8 blades active, which is pretty crazily powerful.

I'm planning on doing that with a blade-vortex-on-crit cyclone build during prophecy. Could be fun.

If you're going evasion, you need around 600 life on normal, 1600 on cruel, and ?? on merciless. Or you will get oneshot by the boss. Other than that, there are a lot of ways to be effective. What are you using to kill things with?

• @Lathun said in Path of Exile:

Whirling Blades, Leap Slam, and Lightning Warp

And blink arrow imo. Which may be the best movement skill.

• @Magus said in Path of Exile:

@Lathun said in Path of Exile:

Whirling Blades, Leap Slam, and Lightning Warp

And blink arrow imo. Which may be the best movement skill.

Oh yeah, forgot about that one. I definitely prefer it to Lightning Warp, but I haven't played a bow character in a while so it slipped my mind. The clone it spawns is actually useful too, it tends to get aggro for a couple of second which is super helpful.

Edit: About the Blade Vortex thing - I would routinely get 25ish blades at level....80? I wasn't even taking points in skill duration. There are a couple builds that could get around 50 blades but you had to obviously focus on it (I think it was a Necromancer Ascendency build too for the increased skill duration and Flesh Offering / Bone Offering self buffs) which I thought was interesting.

As for builds I would definitely find a skill you like and look up a cookie cutter build for it and modify it to it your needs. The forums are actually a pretty nice place to get builds too.

• @Magus as weird as it might look, whirling blades for packs and viper strike for bosses/big healthy monsters. WB being the build target.

izaro wasn't the problem the first 3 times I tried, viper strike melts him faster than he can attack, the fourth time he attacked first and oneshot me (thanks a lot acrobatics / phase acrobatics)

I mostly die on traps, the lab is way too long.

I should really remember to go buy flicker strike, it was part of the plan, but I kinda forgot about it.

Edit: looks like I could get to the character from work, behold how poor I'm: http://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Sentenryu/characters

(the character name is Sentenryu)

• @Sentenryu Doesn't seem that bad. I don't know if the guild stash in standard has anything useful in it, but you can have it if so. I'll add you when I get home.

Once you get used to the labyrinth, it isn't too bad. I'm killed by Izaro far more than anything else. Also, sticking melee splash on viper strike can be very effective, especially with faster attacks. My friend is doing an Edge of Madness build around that.

It's interesting to me that you went with claws rather than foils or daggers, but leech is nice. You've probably taken too many offensive tree nodes, or as many as its safe to take, since you're a melee build. I'd go around and gather as much life as you can find, possibly taking the whole cluster by the scion, and the elemental resistance nodes there. You should get enough damage from just finding good items, but I would still suggest grabbing a shield for more save rolls. After all, dodge, evasion, and block get rolled separately, so that maximizes your chances of not being hit.

• @Magus the claws are actually to get attack speed for WB, I can use it with no pause now and as a result usually take no damage, it's damage is subpar on bosses tho, that's why I'm still using viper strike. I'll probably try a better iteration once prophecy hits, until then I'll be stubborn with this one.

• @Sentenryu But yeah, you probably managed to pick about the hardest build to make work right. I usually go for foil and shield wild strike in every league, but it's just so hard.

I definitely suggest that your first character in the new league cast spells in some way, since that's usually inexpensive and powerful. Nothing is less expensive for the power than a chaos witch, though.

Ideally in this new league I'm going to dual wield daggers with high leech, and link Cyclone, Cast on Crit, Blade Vortex, and Discharge, and try to gain power and endurance charges. I may Blasphemy Warlord's Mark for that. I'll probably go for iron reflexes and wear dex/int gear, or go pure evasion. Survival will be tough, but if I do this right, I should be crazily powerful with good mobility.

Edit:
    Something like this:

@Magus the claws are actually to get attack speed for WB, I can use it with no pause now and as a result usually take no damage, it's damage is subpar on bosses tho, that's why I'm still using viper strike. I'll probably try a better iteration once prophecy hits, until then I'll be stubborn with this one.

Making a damage build around Whirling Blades is hard to do. The skill itself has really low base damage as it was made primarily for movement. However if you really want to do it I suggest trying to buy a Bronn's Lithe.

For example a max level (without corruption etc) Whirling Blade gem does 99% of base weapon damage per cast to enemies hit. Also Whirling blades can't be effected by multistrike which is usually a fairly high DPS gain.

Reave (an AoE skill which does damage in a cone) in comparison does 122.8% of base weapon damage at level 20.

I'm not saying it is impossible but generally it will be very difficult to do good AoE damage with Whirling Blades alone.

• @Lathun That's a nice unique and looks relativelly cheap on poe.trade (2 ~ 5 chaos), I've never traded on poe, but I think I'll get one once I attempt this build again

as I said to @Magus yesterday when he added me to the guild, I was pissed enough at my 15ยบ death on the labyrinth (3 of which had been yesterday) that I gave up on this build for now and reused the name for a max block gladiator using riposte and reckoning. So far I've nice results, it's the first time I beat mervail with no deaths.

I'll probably attempt the movement build again once I have more experience

@magus with your build, why toxic delivery instead of ambush?

also, people are expecting nerfs to chaos casters on the next patch, will it still be that good? what spells would a chaos caster use?

• @Sentenryu

I haven't looked at the new patch in detail yet so I am not sure if they are nerfing the chaos spells, but I do know they are nerfing chaos conversion (so things that convert other damage to chaos). Either way the chaos spells are pretty good right now and should be fine as long as they don't get overnerfed, the common setup I see is Essence Drain single target and filler, Contagion AoE and usually put Wither on a totem so you don't have to cast it manually.

Usually I would Contagion a pack, and then spam Essence Drain to get things low enough so the DoT will kill them and spread. Against bosses and rares I plop down Wither totem but I was doing so much damage I only really used the totem vs bosses.

For movement I was using Whirling Blades or Flame Dash when I didn't have a spell dagger equiped.

• @Lathun I guess that's better as a shadow build due to the chaos and dot damage nodes as well as essence drain and contagion dexterity requirement?

• @Lathun it's typically car contagion on a group, then essence drain a few. It spreads with contagion. You don't really spam, and casting more doesn't increase your damage much. Neither does multiple projectiles. It's a very simple build, really.

• @Sentenryu I tried it as a shadow first, and no, bad idea. The chaos dot skills are affected by spell damage, and occultist is too good to not take it. I heavily use the shadow part of the tree, though.

• @Sentenryu You can do either. Both Trickster and Occultist have good Ascendancy trees for Chaos damage.

Trickster - Patient Reaper, Ghost Dance, and Shade Form are all good here. Gives you a lot of dodge, evasion and energy shield while boosting DoT damage.

Occultist - Void Beacon, Profane Bloom, Wicked Ward are my favorites. The extra curse is good but managing curses when first playing is kind of tedious.

Both trees make you more tanky too which is always useful.

You usually head to other classes area anyways for Chaos builds so it really comes down to preference. The Shadow start is a little wonky though compared to Witch.

• @Lathun I took the energy shield stuff for occultist, with the aura thing. I also took conduit, because I was in the area, and an really enjoying that.

• @Lathun guess I'm too attracted to the shiny one-liners on the ascendancy classes nodes like "Movement skills cost no mana", "you have fortify" and "you cannot be slowed bellow base speed" to really notice the power of other nodes

Everyone on the guild plays on perandus? I saw that the guild stash on standard is remove only, but I can add stuff to it on perandus.

My highest level character is on perandus anyway, It's a Earthquake juggernaut that I built to farm some uniques before the end of the league, the other characters are on standard because the plan was to play with friends, but they never log in anyway.

• @Sentenryu Getting free perma fortify is preeettty broken. I am pretty certain it will be nerfed or the other Duelist options will be buffed because that one node alone is enough to make that Ascendency way better than the other Duelist Ascendancies. Getting manaless movement skills is way weaker by comparison unfortunately. I agree though I tend to like the shiny cool unique nodes than the ones that just give you a crapton of free stats.

My Perandus League character was an Assassin Ethereal Knives Shadow with 9 Power Charger going crit. I was crit capped even with some -crit chance items and gems. I was banking on the crit multi per power charge in the Assassin path being really good. The build was super fun but I went too much damage and would die to any reflect map / mobs.

I usually play the leagues and bail on the character when it goes to standard.

As a side note - for leveling I usually take the health, ES and defensive nodes first since early damage can usually carry you to merciless.

Edit: Realized the term 'others' was ambiguous. I meant specifically the other Duelist options, but it does outshine some other classes Ascendancies too.

• Fortify is completely amazing and worth it, but so are many of the other things. The occultist gets energy shield recharge in combat, which is crazily good. If I was doing a fire build, no way would I pick anything but chieftain! But I'm really not too impressed with the shadow ascendancies, apart from the power charges on assassin. Anyway, the ascendancies basically enable a lot of builds which were previously lackluster to work very well.

And yeah, I only really play in the latest league, whichever it is at any given time. Prophecy is looking to be amazing. I imagine I'll play some of my successful builds in standard occasionally now, since they're crazily good this time.

• The Occultist ES thing seems super strong, I was hoping Scion would be able to get that plus the ES stuff from Trickster but it doesn't seem worth it.

Trickster seems....okay, I was hoping for an Arcane Trickser archtype but I don't really know what it would do. My only beef with Trickster is that it doesn't really have a whole lot offensively going on. Assassin is obviously good if you're going crit, but otherwise is meh compared to something like Raider for melee or Scion for spells (Pathfinder Scion get universal projectile damage instead of proj attack for example and berserker free damage is nice among other things). Saboteur is great if you're going traps, cluster trap is literally broken when combined with Bomb Specialist and traps are a great way to get around reflect. It is good to see trapper build getting some love but they aren't really my thing. Maybe I'll try one in Prophecy.

I think bow Duelist using Slayer is one of the few builds that was meh before but now is usable due to Ascendancy.

I think the only character I've really played that wasn't a Shadow is my first character - Summoner Witch back in Domination, everything since then has been Shadow start.

Sadly there doesn't seem to be a great bow / melee option for Shadow now if you compare it to Raider. Free Onslaught or Frenzy Charges is really good, and Pathfinder gets nice bow stuff for free.

• @Lathun the other champion options are really good too, "First to Strike, Last to Fall" is incredible value, survivability when you need it and damage when you don't, it took my leech champion from "I can't even get to cruel dominus" to "as long as I'm not one shot, I can't die". this guy will get the reset bat once profecy hits tho, it's not fun to play anymore, too little resists.

@magus I started playing this month, I only discovered about leagues when a friend said he would play with me, but his character was on standard.

I have no idea how fun the next league will be, but I'm kinda bummed out that I can't use any of the items I've on that league.

I still can't recognize most of the possibilities when I read a passive or a unique item (i.e. I've no idea how Avatar of Fire is useful for anything), but the game is fun enough to keep me.

@Lathun said

The Occultist ES thing seems super strong, I was hoping Scion would be able to get that plus the ES stuff from Trickster but it doesn't seem worth it.

Most of the scion ascendancy isn't exciting for me, seens like even combining several ascendancies, it's still worse than going with the more specialized ascendancies.

Edit: I also can't see much advantage in getting the "Path of ..." nodes on that ascendancy

@Lathun the other champion options are really good too, "First to Strike, Last to Fall" is incredible value, survivability when you need it and damage when you don't, it took my leech champion from "I can't even get to cruel dominus" to "as long as I'm not one shot, I can't die". this guy will get the reset bat once profecy hits tho, it's not fun to play anymore, too little resists.

@magus I started playing this month, I only discovered about leagues when a friend said he would play with me, but his character was on standard.

I have no idea how fun the next league will be, but I'm kinda bummed out that I can't use any of the items I've on that league.

I still can't recognize most of the possibilities when I read a passive or a unique item (i.e. I've no idea how Avatar of Fire is useful for anything), but the game is fun enough to keep me.

@Lathun said

The Occultist ES thing seems super strong, I was hoping Scion would be able to get that plus the ES stuff from Trickster but it doesn't seem worth it.

Most of the scion ascendancy isn't exciting for me, seens like even combining several ascendancies, it's still worse than going with the more specialized ascendancies.

Edit: I also can't see much advantage in getting the "Path of ..." nodes on that ascendancy

Yeah I agree that the Scion is pretty weak compared to specialized builds, I don't know any real reason to take the Start at Y class compared to a second Ascendancy option. Some of them are okay, for example Caustic (Poison) Arrow Scion is okay still but overall I don't see why anyone would play it unless nothing else fits. The only good things seem to be Berserker, Inquisitor, Occultist (worse than straight Occultist though), and Pathfinder.

There doesn't seem to be a great option for straight ele damage spellcaster (I don't really like Elementalist at all) so a nice option might be Inquisitor with Deadeye for elemental damage, proj damage, free projectile and more crit strike chance.

• @Sentenryu the scion ascendancy is hard. The individual options are different than the main class versions, though, so they can be interesting. Avatar of fire, especially with a black gleam, is completely amazing.

In each league, uniques are introduced that cannot be obtained outside that league. Zana lets you play maps in a rotating set of leagues, but you rely on her to get those items once the league ends. Perandus was strange, because Cadiro sells items from old leagues: My friend even got an Edge of Madness!

But this new league offers chances to change up locations we all know well, along with old, lame items. Seems like pure vitality being pumped into the game.

After prophecy, the fourth labyrinth will make it a choice between that and an extra passive. It's basically useful if you want to do something like play an archer, and then go through the templar tree to Avatar of Fire and some elemental nodes. You'd have to respec to get much out of it, but it does allow some very strange builds that can be very powerful. As always, Scion is the hardest to do well.

• @Magus isn't that just the same damage you had before the conversion? is the idea to pass lightning and cold damage by the fire damage boosts?

@Lathun the problem I see with the elementarist is that it actually requires you to cast several spells, doing loads of damage types with the same spell does nothing.

@Lathun the problem I see with the elementarist is that it actually requires you to cast several spells, doing loads of damage types with the same spell does nothing.

Yep, and most builds try to focus on one or two abilities, since you can only have at most a 6-Link Chest and a 6-Link two handed weapon and links are probably the best way to increase damage. This is not including buffs, curses, and movement skills which you really only need 4 links for.

I did see a Elementalist Righteous Fire build which looked fun. You are constantly taking fire damage so Paragon of Calamity is always up. There are some other okay things like Pendulum of Destruction and Beacon of Ruin, but overall I wasn't super excited after I saw it.

• @Lathun Paragon of Calamity does not activate on Righteous Fire because RF is degen, it doesn't hit. I looked into that as a way to have RF active without losing life, but I don't really understand the ways people use to do that.

@Magus isn't that just the same damage you had before the conversion? is the idea to pass lightning and cold damage by the fire damage boosts?

Elemental damage is better than physical usually. Crits give status effects, which for fire causes a huge amount of damage. It's a definite damage increase, and is much harder for enemies to reduce. (For phys, because armor reduces more from weak hits than strong ones, taking something like multistrike can be a serious hit to damage if the enemy has armor. Elemental is always a flat percentage reduction, so things that decrease your damage aren't quite as painful)

@Lathun Paragon of Calamity does not activate on Righteous Fire because RF is degen, it doesn't hit.

Which is why Elemental Equilibrium does work! You hit them with ice nova, and they never get 'hit' with fire, so they WILL take the increased damage!

• @Magus that part about elemental equilibrium took me a while to get, I only got it when I understood why Fortify doesn't reduce the damage. Do increased burning damage nodes work too?

Will you take loads more damage if an enemy hits you with an ice spell while you have RF active?

• @Sentenryu

Hm, I believe you are right. I wonder what he did to activate the damage bonus, maybe he was using a Cloak of Flame or a Redblade helmet that convert Phys damage taken to fire damage taken. I do remember him saying he had to be attacked in order to get the damage bonus but I think he said the fire damage reduction was constant? I also think he used Molten Shell / Vaal Molten Shell (or maybe he used that and not righteous fire - I tried to find the build but I can't seem to locate it).

The way people keep Righteous fire up is a lot of health regen and some other cheesy means which I think they fixed. You can still do RF but you used to be able to take no damage from it iirc.

Edit: looked it up and the build I was thinking of used Vaal Molten Shell not RF, my bad.

Do increased burning damage nodes work too?

Yep. It's pretty great. Same thing works with Ancestral Bond, which is a crazily powerful skill.

• @Magus Now that I think about it, chieftain has a node that says "Totems are immune to fire damage", do totems take damage from RF?

• @Sentenryu Only if they cast it :D

I may have to do that, actually. That sounds amazing.