JIRA Configuration

• @PJH said:

Trac got ditched in favour of (first) FP, than (in parallel - still is!) Jira. I would highly NOT recommend the last two. Give Trac a go?

Too late. We switched from Fogbugz to JIRA a 2-3 weeks ago to save $$, and so far I'm having nothing but trouble getting it to do what I want.

The two biggest issues I'm having are was having were:

ze Issues

1: I cant get the Resolution field to do the right thing. I started with the "Agile software workflow" and added some additional transitions to set the field, but it doesn't work well, and it takes a lot of clicks. Closing out an issue as a duplicate, for example, takes ~10 clicks. Does anyone have suggestions for how to make it easier? I suppose I could add a transition button for every possible resolutionI need to build a screen for the more complicated transitions

2: I don't understand how the triage process is supposed to work. I added `Triage` as a status and have all issues going there upon creation. So far so good. Then when I sit down with the CEO in our weekly meeting (we're small) we do a search for Triage issues but the whole process is really clunkyI created a kanban board and a couple screens for the transitions out of triage, and it's a lot easier

So with those two big hurdles out of the way, what other gotchas should I be looking for? It seems like people here either love it or hate it - what has swayed you one way or the other? Now that I actually have the transitions working for me, I like it a lot better than FB.

Filed under: Thanks for being my rubber duck!, Nothing like spending 4 hours on a post

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

@reverendryan said:

It seems like people here either love it or hate it - what has swayed you one way or the other?

After reading the other thread, I think the problems people have with JIRA are:

• As a time tracking tool, it's shit. I've tried to use the time tracking features for a while and simply gave up.
    • JIRA has a lot of configuration options, and if many teams have admin access (or nobody feels responsible for maintaining the installation), I can see how you can easily end up with a system you'll hate.
    • It's not a lightweight application. If your server is a decommissioned old desktop or if you don't give the JVM enough memory, it's going to be slow as fuck.

Did I miss anything?

• That was really helpful. Writing the OP made something click about the setup, so hopefully it'll work well for us.

Edit: I get to give a company wide presentation about it in 20 minutes, yay!

@reverendryan said:

I get to give a company wide presentation about it in 20 minutes, yay!

Have fun!

• Impossible Mission Players - A

@reverendryan said:

I get to give a company wide presentation about it in 20 minutes, yay!

I hope it goes better than my attempts to correct our TFS setup....

• Mostly.

Was going over the new issue screen, and guess what was a required field at the bottom? Resolution. D'oh. Back to the screen & workflow editors :expressionless:

• @reverendryan said:

Was going over the new issue screen, and guess what was a required field at the bottom? Resolution.

Resolution is a required field for a new issue?

• Yeah, I added it to the wrong screen. JIRA is a "configure ALL the things" system, which is why it's been such a pain to get going.

@reverendryan said:

JIRA is a "configure ALL the things" system, which is why it's been such a pain to get going.

...but also why it's so popular: You can configure it to fit your very personal workflow.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.