Inner-platform effect

• Cool. Of course, it makes zero sense when you stop and think about it. But cool.

• What he tried is not what I'd have tried. I'd have laid my hand palm-up on the floor of the box, then wriggled up onto the palm of me+1's hand, and then - keeping my palm upturned and horizontal - lifted my hand out of the box.</spoiler>

• BINNED

Sounds like you would count on the outcome. There's no telling you'd expect what will happen, given the circumstances.

[spoiler]The question is - if you got out OK, what would you do once out? Spend your entire life living as an ant-sized human? Also, as cartman said, makes no sense, you'd never be able to even breathe properly in that world.[/spoiler]

• I was thinking more like, [spoiler]why would prison create this elaborate hoax when they can just force the guy into the "reducer". Or just keep him locked up in a normal cell, if that's their purpose.[/spoiler]

• @cartman82 said:

they can just force the guy into the "reducer"</spoiler>

Seems to me, given the apparently fractal geometry of the fictional universe depicted, that he is already in the "reducer", and that the only possible way out is to be lifted through all the open ceilings, not just climb up and out one level. Further, it seems to me that the nesting depth can't be infinite: if it were, there would not be a nonzero yet finite change in illumination from opening the lid. I'd chance it.

That geometry might be fun to build a Portal-influenced game design around.

• Prisoner asks:

"What's that?"

Viewer responds:

"Nobody can tell because your lighting guy decided not to put a soft spot on it."

(Camera angle changes)

"Oh, it's a red toolbox. Ooooo!"

The director of this has SFX chops, but he seems to have trouble with basic lighting. (Also, where did the second desk and chair come from in that one shot? Pretty sure there's only one desk and chair in the cell at all other times, and older prisoner dude was always sitting in it.)

• Or just [spoiler]use your giant super-strong (immune to square-cube law) finger to push open the door, breaking its lock.[/spoiler]

• Fake News

This, [spoiler]then run off with the box so you can pop it open and flick any guards out of the way.[/spoiler]

• @blakeyrat said:

where did the second desk and chair come from in that one shot? Pretty sure there's only one desk and chair in the cell at all other times

Second desk is visible to the left of the door when the prisoner is first brought into the cell.

• Maybe it's just my cynical nature, but I'd expect this to work until the brought in the first truly cynical murderer. Finishing move: reach in the box and smash guard flat. ("And that's what I think of your stupid trick!")

• BINNED

huh, these all had the same script, cool 😄
    https://vimeo.com/92667106

https://vimeo.com/65716237

• @JBert said:

run off with the box so you can pop it open and flick any guards out of the way

There's an implicit assumption there that the box is always going to contain its own containing room. If it always contains Room 8, your plan would fail hard.

• The real :WTF: is 1:43 of ending credits for a 5:34 video. Otherwise I quite liked it.

• @flabdablet said:

That geometry might be fun to build a Portal-influenced game design around.

There was a scene in Prey like that, as I recall...

• That was quite enjoyable. I want more miniature movies like this for when I want to feel like I just watched a great blockbuster flick but I only have <10 minutes to devote towards actually watching it.

• @Bort said:

There was a scene in Prey like that, as I recall...

Yeah. A couple actually. Some more creative than that-- the alien portals not only could change your size, but they had a technology to change gravitational fields too.

Prey actually started development before Portal, BTW. But none of the portals in it are player-created. And really it doesn't do much that the Serious Engine demo back in 1998 didn't already do.

• @blakeyrat said:

the alien portals not only could change your size, but they had a technology to change gravitational fields too

Seems to me that the same applies to the box in this video. After all, when he picked up the box from the bed and moved it to the floor, he did not experience the whole room shaking and heaving as him+1 did the same thing.