The HORROR of uncoordinated movement!

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@blakeyrat said:

You're not reading ANYTHING I've typed in this thread.

Wrong, but that's par for the course for you. You're doing something close to reading what I wrote and then ignoring it.

@blakeyrat said:

Since there's absolutely ZERO reason to think Obama would do that, it means they're INSANE PEOPLE WHO ARE CRAZY AND INSANE.

Hey, let's play a game called "can Blakey figure out what other people mean?" and quote President Obama form just last week. "“We know that other countries, in response to one mass shooting, have been able to craft laws that almost eliminate mass shootings,” the president said. “Friends of ours, allies of ours — Great Britain, Australia, countries like ours. So we know there are ways to prevent it.”

How, pray tell, did Great Britain and Australia almost eliminate mass shootings? Anyone? Anyone? Blakey? Blakey?

@blakeyrat said:

So you admit it's irrational.

Now who can't read? That's right, you. Keep burnin' those strawmen.

• Dupa

@FrostCat said:

The guys who made the Second Amendment were far, far wiser than you'll ever have a hope of being.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”

― Samuel Adams “The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.”

― Samuel Adams

It's funny that a Pole should remind you that, but Sam Adams was actually opposed the constituation in the first place (along with, among others, John Hancock and Patrick Henry).

Furthermore, I was looking at world murder rate statistics a while ago and I found that actually, countries which allow citizens to hold guns do not have it easier.

• BINNED

@loopback0 said:

Two gun topics?😕

Let's start a third one! Just to be sure!

• @kt_ said:

Furthermore, I was looking at world murder rate statistics a while ago and I found that actually, countries which allow citizens to hold guns do not have it easier.

The United States is 111 out of 218 on that list when sorted by rate. We're also the only country (I think) where guns outnumber people. So clearly increased gun ownership does not cause increased murders, or we'd be #1 miles above the second-place contender.

• ♿ (Parody)

@blakeyrat said:

You think human nature is the same now as it was in the 18th century?

Yes. And people only recently figured out stuff about sex.

@blakeyrat said:

And in any case, let's take the extremely hypothetical scenario that the Government did want to turn into the Nazis-- I'm sorry but no matter how many rednecks with rifles you have, the US Military is going to beat them handily. So your idiotic concept doesn't work in reality or theory.

Your idiotic theory that the members of the military are soulless automatons doesn't work at all.

@blakeyrat said:

Pop quiz: has Obama does anything that could be construed as attempting to take someone's guns? Anything? In his entire time in office? Anything at all?

He's talked about gun control. I know somewhere around here was linked stuff about ammo. After this last one, he finally admitted what people suspected when he talked about the common sense things that places like Britain and Australia did in reaction to shootings. Namely, confiscate guns.

• @boomzilla said:

Your idiotic theory that the members of the military are soulless automatons doesn't work at all.

Well since it's ludicrous and only insane people could possibly believe it, I can craft the scenario however I like. So fuck you.

@boomzilla said:

He's talked about gun control.

He's talked about a shitload of things. Talking about stuff is basically his job.

Words are words. Actions are actions.

@boomzilla said:

After this last one, he finally admitted what people suspected when he talked about the common sense things that places like Britain and Australia did in reaction to shootings. Namely, confiscate guns.

Ok? And so what?

Did he say, "OH BTW I AM TAKING YOUR GUNS TOMORROW!" Because if not, then he's just stating historical fact.

• Dupa

Sure, but compare yourselves not to Honduras or Venezuela, but to others first world countries and then take into account where gun ownership is allowed.

@Shoreline said:

US 2nd amendment is misquoted to ignore the 'militia' part when it comes to owning a gun.

1st amendment also doesn't say a lot about the Founding Fathers' appreciation of free speech. It starts with "Congress shall make no law..." and in reality only reflects, that they were so scared that other states would oppose the constitution, if they were to meddle in their law-making, that they wanted to leave creating those "respecting religion, or prohibiting free exercise of thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press, or of the right of the people peaceably to assemble" to the each state itself.

• @kt_ said:

Sure, but compare yourselves not to Honduras or Venezuela, but to others first world countries and then take into account where gun ownership is allowed.

a.k.a. "These statistics don't support my biased beliefs so I'm going to throw out the parts I don't like to make us look bad."

• @kt_ said:

1st amendment also doesn't say a lot about the Founding Fathers' appreciation of free speech. It starts with "Congress shall make no law..." and in reality only reflects, that they were so scared that other states would oppose the constitution, if they were to meddle in their law-making, that they wanted to leave creating those "respecting religion, or prohibiting free exercise of thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press, or of the right of the people peaceably to assemble" to the each state itself.

Seems accurate to me. Way back when we had Quaker states and stuff. Fortunately it involved states geographically small enough that it wouldn't be too difficult to move out if you didn't like the locals.

• ♿ (Parody)

@blakeyrat said:

He's talked about a shitload of things. Talking about stuff is basically his job.

You think the two are totally disconnected? I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

@blakeyrat said:

Ok? And so what?

Did he say, "OH BTW I AM TAKING YOUR GUNS TOMORROW!" Because if not, then he's just stating historical fact.

Yeah, kind of like when someone says, "That's a really nice restaurant. It would be a shame if it burned down," is really just looking forwards to years of lasagna.

@kt_ said:

...but to others first world countries and then take into account where gun ownership is allowed.

Our rates have gone down as ownership has increased. And I think we've pretty much always had higher rates. And that ignores the reasons why people want guns in the first place. Your basic gun grabber or whatever doesn't care about those, but most Americans do.

• Dupa

Actually, those statistics don't confirm anything. Murder rate is affected by so many variables, that it's really hard to say what constitutes a positive or negative influence. I just enclosed it because some (there unnamed) statistics were quoted above.

Oh, and BTW, that's bullshit what you said, really. You did never take into account gun ownership, in the first place, when looking at those stats, sadly. A lot of the countries above you have civil wars raging, or are simply far far less civilized countries. Try to find places culturally similar to US and compare it to those.

Of course, it won't matter really, because those stats are shit and don't say anything.

• @blakeyrat said:

History is filled with people ignoring someones words only to see those actions unfold.

• Dupa

@boomzilla said:

Our rates have gone down as ownership has increased. And I think we've pretty much always had higher rates. And that ignores the reasons why people want guns in the first place. Your basic gun grabber or whatever doesn't care about those, but most Americans do.

Might be true, can't comment, since all I know is just your "I say so".

• Dupa

@Dragoon said:

History is filled with people ignoring someones words only to see those actions unfold.

I knew that Hitler'd be referenced sooner or later.

• ♿ (Parody)

@kt_ said:

Might be true, can't comment, since all I know is just your "I say so".

For example:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/12/us/gun-control-gun-rights-pew-survey.html?_r=0

See also trends here:

• Yes, because he is the ONLY person in history who has said anything before later carrying said thing out. ONLY PERSON.

Nobody has ever sent a death threat to someone and later killed them. It has never happened. Ever.

• Dupa

Haven't read the second one, but the first one:

The analysis in this report is based on telephone interviews conducted December 3-7, 2014among a national sample of 1,507adults, 18 years of age or older, living in all 50 U.S. states and the District of Columbia (605respondents were interviewed on a landline telephone, and 902were interviewed on a cell phone, including 513who had no landline telephone).

Ok, so after interviewing 30 people per state they found out, that there is a 6 p.p. difference between those two positions, just a bit above the standard error.

Plus, this only says about what people say they care for. I was specifically referring to:

@boomzilla said:

Our rates have gone down as ownership has increased. And I think we've pretty much always had higher rates

• Dupa

Oh, come on, don't be so serious. 😜

• ♿ (Parody)

@kt_ said:

Plus, this only says about what people say they care for. I was specifically referring to:

Oh. @mott555 (?) posted something about that earlier. Eh..it's easy enough. Here:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/10/robert-farago/incendiary-image-of-the-day-more-guns-≠-more-firearms-related-homicides-edition/

• BINNED

@blakeyrat said:

You don't?

Wow, I don't even know what to say to that.

@mott555 said:

Okay, say a hypothetical President for some reason keeps talking about a hypothetical country's hypothetical ban on Xboxes every chance he gets. What would you think he wants to do?

To be fair, the only one of his campaign promises that he's even come close to keeping is his healthcare plan, and that's really more of a band-aid on a gunshot wound than anything else. And I'm not picking on Obama. Politicians in both parties don't do what they say they're going to do, and vice versa. If a politician keeps talking about doing a certain thing, that's actually a more reliable indicator that he's not going to do it.

@boomzilla said:

He's talked about gun control. I know somewhere around here was linked stuff about ammo. After this last one, he finally admitted what people suspected when he talked about the common sense things that places like Britain and Australia did in reaction to shootings. Namely, confiscate guns.

If you go back to when he was running for President, back in the 2007 or so time frame, there was a release of a survey he'd completed as a local senator where he answered some gun-related questions...well, I'll let factcheck.org tell you: "The NRA bases its claim on a disputed 1996 questionnaire that Obama's Illinois state Senate campaign filled out for the nonprofit voting group, Independent Voters of Illinois-Independent Precinct Organization. On it, somebody filled in the word "yes" in response to the question, "Do you support legislation to ban the manufacture, sale and possession of handguns?" But the Obama campaign said that the survey was actually filled out by his then-campaign manager who "unintentionally mischaracterized his position," adding that Obama never saw the survey.
    As we wrote previously, an amended version of the questionnaire was later submitted to the group, with Obama's handwritten notes on it providing more detail on some of the answers. Obama clearly saw and handled this version personally and did not alter the question about banning the sale and manufacturing of guns. Nevertheless, his aides maintain that the gun-ban answer was a mistake and didn't reflect Obama's true position.
    Whatever his position may have been in 1996, in 2003 he submitted another survey form to the same group avoiding a yes-or-no answer to the gun ban question and stating a position similar to his current stance."

@boomzilla said:

Yeah, kind of like when someone says, "That's a really nice restaurant. It would be a shame if it burned down," is really just looking forwards to years of lasagna.

Perhaps on Planet Blakeyrat they are.

I think he's actually doing a pretty good job today with his trolling. But then, perhaps he is the mythical New Soviet Man, and human nature has changed since 1986 or so.

@kt_ said:

Ok, so after interviewing 30 people per state they found out, that there is a 6 p.p. difference between those two positions, just a bit above the standard error.

Oh, suddenly polls are meaningless because you disagree with this one? Nationally-sampled polls of about a thousand people is how most of the most reputable ones work.

• I confess, whenever I see one of these ghastly tales of woe caused by somebody in the US acting irresponsibly with a firearm, that my emotional reaction is now merely one of amusement.

@antiquarian said:

@blakeyrat said:

You don't?

Wow, I don't even know what to say to that.

He had me going with that for a minute, but then I realized--nah, he's too smart for that, he's got to be pulling our legs. Either that or he's actually the dumb shit I keep calling him, which'll frankly disappoint me.

@Matt_Westwood said:

my emotional reaction is now merely one of amusement.

How long have you had this blase enjoyment of others' misfortune?

• BINNED

@FrostCat said:

Perhaps on Planet Blakeyrat they are.

I think he's actually doing a pretty good job today with his trolling. But then, perhaps he is the mythical New Soviet Man, and human nature has changed since 1986 or so.

I think I figured out something. You know how his definition of good software is software that works the way he wants it to? Maybe his definition of human nature is simply whatever characteristics he has. So if blakeyrat isn't like the typical person of the 1700s, it must mean that human nature has changed since then.

• Seriously, watching the news from the US is like watching the clowns at the circus.

• ♿ (Parody)

@Matt_Westwood said:

I confess, whenever I see one of these ghastly tales of woe caused by somebody in the US acting irresponsibly with a firearm, that my emotional reaction is now merely one of amusement.

PAGING @LORNE_KATES. I think we found the person you think is us shrugging at kids dying.

• If you guys were serious about stopping this mayhem, you'd ban guns. But no, your sexual fetishes are more important than the lives and safety of your children. Therefore, ha ha ha. Pthwaarp.

• BINNED

@Matt_Westwood said:

Seriously, watching the news from the US is like watching the clowns at the circus.

I just realized you're posting on something that isn't a front page article.

We should give you an honorary "One of Us" badge. Or something.

@Matt_Westwood said:

Seriously, watching the news from the US is like watching the clowns at the circus.

You ever considered getting the mental help you need to overcome your learned sociopathy?

• Been doing it for years. Just not very often.

@Matt_Westwood said:

sexual fetishes

Meh, you reverted to "lame troll" status pretty quickly.

• Call me a sociopath when your nation of clowns, lunatics and general assorted lowlife barbarians does something about your disgusting attitudes.

• Dupa

Sorry, stopped reading after:

Correlation does not equal causation. But you can use correlation to rule out causation, to disprove a relationship.

Of course it cannot.

I don't really know a lot about US, but the first thing that springs to mind is, that maybe the decrease of poverty (I know, it's back up, but it might take people a bit to go back to killing others again). Or maybe it's due to a higher survival rate? (I bet it has gone up, too. Maybe Medicare, Medicaid?)

Plus, the article talks about guns homicide, not actual crime rate.

Honestly, this is so complex a question, that using such simple stats to talk about it, disregarding other socioeconomic factors, is just plain stupid.

The same stuff goes for immigrants.

@Matt_Westwood said:

Call me a sociopath when your nation of clowns, lunatics and general assorted lowlife barbarians does something about your disgusting attitudes.

And here we see where the troll's feigned composure fails and he resorts to simian poo-flinging.

Son, you gotta do better. You only managed about 3 posts before failing.

• Dupa

@FrostCat said:

Oh, suddenly polls are meaningless because you disagree with this one? Nationally-sampled polls of about a thousand people is how most of the most reputable ones work.

Not suddenly, please read my previous posts.

Plus, the difference is really small, not much larger than the standard error.

• ♿ (Parody)

@Matt_Westwood said:

If you guys were serious about stopping this mayhem, you'd ban guns.

:rolleyes:

• ♿ (Parody)

@kt_ said:

Plus, the article talks about guns homicide, not actual crime rate.

Well, whatever, that's what I was thinking about. Crime rates have generally fallen, too. This isn't really controversial. Though homicides look like they may be picking up this year.

@kt_ said:

Honestly, this is so complex a question, that using such simple stats to talk about it, disregarding other socioeconomic factors, is just plain stupid.

Sure. But if guns were really such a danger, you wouldn't expect crime to go down when so many people had them.

• Dupa

@boomzilla said:

Sure. But if guns were really such a danger, you wouldn't expect crime to go down when so many people had them.

I'm not sure. It might be, that the fall due to other changes buried the actual rise in new owners homicidal rate (might be higher). Plus, it doesn't account for people having multiple guns. Maybe the amount of gun owners didn't rise, just the amount of guns they have? Or maybe just police has worked harder on the streets (yup, I've seen The Wire) and this is where the fall comes from: gun ownership stats don't include illegally owned guns, homicidal stats include murders done with illegal guns.

Or it might be, you're right.

Really, this is such a complex issue, that judging it based on two variables is just plain stupid.

• @kt_ said:

Plus, it doesn't account for people having multiple guns. Maybe the amount of gun owners didn't rise, just the amount of guns they have?

I'm sure this is part of it. There are a lot of new collectors now. A year ago, a budget AR-15 cost around $900. Now, the market is swamped, and you can get one for $350. Lots of people are taking advantage of that.

@kt_ said:

Maybe the amount of gun owners didn't rise

This is anecdotal, but I do know a couple local CCW instructors and their classes are always packed now. They can hardly keep up. As I understand it most of them are brand new gun owners, which is why the training tends to be on the level of "Don't try to shoot 9mm through a .45" and "Hi-Point magazines don't work in Springfields."

• Dupa

That's interesting.

So it's not as clear-cut business as it is sometimes made out to be.

• @Matt_Westwood said:

Whereas watching European news is like watching clowns at a theme park.

Totally different.

• Dupa

@blakeyrat said:

Whereas watching European news is like watching clowns at a theme park.

Totally different.

You first need to know the European language.

@kt_ said:

You first need to know the European language.

Knowing Commisionese never helps. I shudder to think what using that for news broadcasting would be like; just the one-sentence summaries would take 45 minutes…

• BINNED

@Dragoon said:

Show me the proposed gun law that would prevent this person from getting a gun

Make guns expensive, with mandatory training and only sell guns to people who own a house/apartment with good credit. Also require all gun owners to re-subscribe and do the training every 10 years. Lets see how many of the past shooters get banned that way.

• While that might very well work, that is not one that has been proposed currently by the administration.