In other news today...

• @HardwareGeek said in In other news today...:

At least that's how I (used to, before I completely internalized the knowledge) remember it.

For my part, I know that phrase by heart, but have barely ever had to apply it in practice. So if I actually had to do it I suspect there's a 50/50 chance I'd forget about it and get it wrong

• ♿ (Parody)

@HardwareGeek said in In other news today...:

@topspin said in In other news today...:

If you measured the nutritional value of the hypothetically added milk, then anyone actually looking at the values and adding up the cereal and the milk they eat will double count the milk.

The cereal boxes I currently have in my pantry have nutrition labels with columns for dry and with 1/2 cup (118 ml) of (low-fat?)skim milk. Oddly, however, the with-milk columns don't actually include the nutrition content of the milk. Some of the RDV percentages are slightly different, but the column doesn't contain any actual content, no grams of fat, grams of sugar, grams of total carbs, etc., just percentages. And for carbs, at least, the % values are exactly the same in both columns, despite the fact that (for one of them at least) adding 118 ml of milk triples the sugar content. One serving of the cereal has 3 g of sugar (presumably sucrose), and 118 ml of milk contains 6 g of sugar (presumably all or mostly lactose).

https://youtu.be/LXsN6uLaiWc

đŸŽ” For breakfast some cornflakes and vodka,
    đŸŽ” But cornflakes have carbohydrates
    đŸŽ” So I don't eat those fattening cornflakes,
    đŸŽ” I eat the vodka straight.

• Considered Harmful

@boomzilla said in In other news today...:

For breakfast some ... vodka straight

Pro-tip - Consider adding some Creme de Menthe on interview days.

• Considered Harmful

@ixvedeusi said in In other news today...:

At least that's how I (used to, before I completely internalized the knowledge) remember it.

For my part, I know that phrase by heart, but have barely ever had to apply it in practice. So if I actually had to do it I suspect there's a 50/50 chance I'd forget about it and get it wrong

Just remember what's happening. In the ATW case, you are throwing a wolf to the sheep, which does not immediately get messy. In WTA, you are throwing a sheep to the wolves, and the mess will be immediate.

• ♿ (Parody)

@ixvedeusi In English, the letters ATW (acid to water) are in alphabetical order (right); WTA (water to acid) is backwards (wrong). At least that's how I (used to, before I completely internalized the knowledge) remember it.

I was taught PAW: Pour Acid into Water.

Not quite as as diluting concentrated sulfuric acid.

I remember having to dilute some very high concentration sulfuric acid once. When you remove the stopper and the fumes alone start melting shit, you know that you are in for some :fun: times.

• @Dragoon said in In other news today...:

When you remove the stopper and the fumes alone start melting shit

Ah, that reminds me. Don't use a rubber stopper for a bottle of acetic acid, or your bottle will soon not have a stopper.

@Dragoon said in In other news today...:

When you remove the stopper and the fumes alone start melting shit

Ah, that reminds me. Don't use a rubber stopper for a bottle of acetic acid, or your bottle will soon not have a stopper.

We had a container of glacial acetic acid at the school I worked for. It was in a glass container with an appropriate seal. Inside a metal container full of (some sort of absorbent, rock-salt-like material), so the other material was between the (sealed) glass and the metal. The metal was still swiss-cheese corroded from the tiny amounts of acid that slipped past the seal over the years.

And then there was teh time I made the rookie mistake of opening the container of concentrated hydrochloric acid outside a fume hood. I'd forgotten that it fumes at high enough concentrations. Got a nice lung full of the vapor. That was...fun. In the Dwarf Fortress sense of the word.

• ♿ (Parody)

Also, in the US, the official serving size is often ridiculous.

95079466-d7c1-47f7-892b-14d911d62fc0-image.png

• @Bulb said in In other news today...:

@Benjamin-Hall said in In other news today...:

But "eat a varied diet" and "don't eat too much" and "drink enough but not too much water" about sums it up. Beyond that? Junk foodscience

even the “but not too much” part with water is fairly recent addition. It was “drink plenty of water” until a few years ago.

We also had that very interesting article linked somewhere around here describing how much of the obesitology stuff is bogus and how a lot of energy in fats isn't actually a problem if it isn't combined with a lot of sugar.

Which I suppose is exactly the reason smoked salmon gets a D (it's rather fatty) while in practice you'll gain more weight eating the cornflakes that get B (despite containing plenty of sugar and starch).

I think I remember reading (that gives me an out if I am wrong, right) that the sugar lobby in the US backed the studies that encourage low-fat while ignoring carb intake.

• @Benjamin-Hall said in In other news today...:

@Benjamin-Hall Also, in the US, the official serving size is often ridiculous. For some foods, at least, maybe all, the serving size is broken down by age — into two groups: 0–3, and 4–adult. I'm sorry, but the nutritional requirements and amount eaten a 4yo, a teen in a growth spurt, and a healthy adult are vastly different, and trying to average them all into a single, one-size-fits-none "serving" is ridiculous.

Yeah. And that "2000 Calorie" thing? Total joke. Sure, we can measure the combustion energy of food (bomb calorimetry, which isn't nearly as exciting as the name sounds). But the actual bio-available energy? It's some number smaller than that. How much? :mlp_shrug: Depends on the individual, the phases of the moon, even stuff like mood and what else you are eating. Or ate recently. And how much sleep you've gotten, etc.

The article I mentioned had a good argument why energy balance isn't the main factor anyway: if it was, eating even a couple of grams a day more than you need would lead to fairly rapid weight gain, and eating a couple grams less wouldn't be sustainable for long. But most people don't weigh their food and still maintain fairly stable weight. So clearly the body decides how much to store in some other way and can discard the rest.

There's a reason I stuck with physics--it's so much simpler than things like biochemistry and biology.

In some sense biology is easier, because you can fake it 😉

• @Karla said in In other news today...:

@Bulb said in In other news today...:

But "eat a varied diet" and "don't eat too much" and "drink enough but not too much water" about sums it up. Beyond that? Junk foodscience

even the “but not too much” part with water is fairly recent addition. It was “drink plenty of water” until a few years ago.

We also had that very interesting article linked somewhere around here describing how much of the obesitology stuff is bogus and how a lot of energy in fats isn't actually a problem if it isn't combined with a lot of sugar.

Which I suppose is exactly the reason smoked salmon gets a D (it's rather fatty) while in practice you'll gain more weight eating the cornflakes that get B (despite containing plenty of sugar and starch).

I think I remember reading (that gives me an out if I am wrong, right) that the sugar lobby in the US backed the studies that encourage low-fat while ignoring carb intake.

That's the idea behind all that “low calories” junk. It has little or no fat, so it has to have more sugar to have any taste at all. Which does mean it has less calories, both in the calorimetric sense, and in the actual biologically available sense—IIRC the gain is 4 ATP per molecule of glucose and 38 per molecule of about 5 times heavier molecule of fat.

The problem is that when the energy is mainly in sugars, by digesting it your blood sugar level will raise, but that starts up the processes that use the sugar, and they will overshoot, so the sugar level will drop below normal—and low blood sugar is the main input causing feeling of hunger. So you end up eating more of the junk food than if you ate the stuff in its natural composition. Which I suppose is big part of the reason the food companies love to promote the stuff.

So clearly the body decides how much to store in some other way and can discard the rest.

Healthy humans also lose their hunger, and thus interest in food, when they've had enough for their current energy needs.
    Part of the obesity problem comes from eating not for hunger, but for pleasure. If there were no sugar or chips in the markets, the problem would be a lot less severe.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

It takes quite a bit of dedication (or some medical conditions) to drink so much water that it becomes a problem. Most of the issues it causes can be usually fixed by having a bit more salt and emptying your bladder in the usual fashion. The best rule is have a drink if you're thirsty, and if you're not, don't. Your body's pretty good at telling you how much you need.

• @acrow said in In other news today...:

So clearly the body decides how much to store in some other way and can discard the rest.

Healthy humans also lose their hunger, and thus interest in food, when they've had enough for their current energy needs.
    Part of the obesity problem comes from eating not for hunger, but for pleasure. If there were no sugar or chips in the markets, the problem would be a lot less severe.

Even then it still depends on what you eat more than how much.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@acrow said in In other news today...:

If there were no sugar or chips in the markets, the problem would be a lot less severe.

Apparently there's a particular problem with sugary drinks, as they can deliver a lot of sucrose without triggering feelings of satiation. (I've probably left out some bits of the process.)

• Considered Harmful

@dkf said in In other news today...:

Add the acid to the water. The reaction is a lot less lively that way.

"Erst das Wasser, dann die SĂ€ure, sonst geschieht das Ungeheure!"

Brauch keine Frau, nur Vaselin
    Etwas Nitroglyzerin

• @dkf said in In other news today...:

@acrow said in In other news today...:

If there were no sugar or chips in the markets, the problem would be a lot less severe.

Apparently there's a particular problem with sugary drinks, as they can deliver a lot of sucrose without triggering feelings of satiation. (I've probably left out some bits of the process.)

It doesn't have to be, and probably isn't, even tied to the feelings of satiation (only), but it somehow makes the fatty tissue to be more greedy. Note that there is also a particular problem with excessively salty foods, and salt does not have any usable energy at all.

• Notification Spam Recipient

It was “drink plenty of water” until a few years ago.

I'm still being told that. 💆

I'm also being told that being less fat will fix everything.

• Considered Harmful

@Tsaukpaetra said in In other news today...:

:technically-correct: (but not recommended)

Some fat is required for body to function (cell membranes etc.), but the lower bound of 'less fat' is not specified.

:wtf_owl:

he said he stopped by the driver’s house and put the wages in the letter box

:wtf:

The bus operator also suggested in submissions that the driver’s dog “could have eaten the money”.

this suggestion was “not valid as the dog was not in the house”.

Neither were prepared to give evidence under oath, the adjudicating officer noted.

The bus company owner, who represented himself at the hearing

• Considered Harmful

@Applied-Mediocrity said in In other news today...:

@dkf said in In other news today...:

Add the acid to the water. The reaction is a lot less lively that way.

"Erst das Wasser, dann die SĂ€ure, sonst geschieht das Ungeheure!"

Brauch keine Frau, nur Vaselin
    Etwas Nitroglyzerin

BURMARSHAVEN

Linux Disabling Raw Access To Floppy Disks "FDRAWCMD" By Default

RIP floppy disk drives requiring that command I guess...

Edit to add title

@Karla said in In other news today...:

That's the idea behind all that “low calories” junkfat-free junk. It has little or no fat, so it has to have more sugar to have any taste at all. Which does mean it has less calories, both in the calorimetric sense, and in the actual biologically available sense—IIRC the gain is 4 ATP per molecule of glucose and 38 per molecule of about 5 times heavier molecule of fat.

The problem is that when the energy is mainly in sugars, by digesting it your blood sugar level will raise, but that starts up the processes that use the sugar, and they will overshoot, so the sugar level will drop below normal—and low blood sugar is the main input causing feeling of hunger. So you end up eating more of the junk food than if you ate the stuff in its natural composition. Which I suppose is big part of the reason the food companies love to promote the stuff.

FTFY

My box of Swedish Fish says fat-free.

And the stuff that actually had fat they replace it with sugars and other crap.

Fried food and fat-free alternatives are among the least healthy things to eat.

In so many stores, the sugar-free version of yogurt is either low-fat for no-fat. I try to get the Greek sugar-free full-fat vanilla. It be nice if it came in other flavors but I'm happy for one that is not plain.

I put some in my oatmeal, I'm not avoiding carbs, I'm avoiding (trying to) useless carbs. And with the oatmeal, I take a package of flavored and mix it with plain. Plain oatmeal with plain yogurt would just be sad.

• @Tsaukpaetra said in In other news today...:

It was “drink plenty of water” until a few years ago.

I'm still being told that. 💆

Being less fat fixes some things and makes some other things less severe.

For most of my issues, I can only hope for less severe. I have not handled the last two years very well and my health has suffered (more than usual) as a result.

• @Applied-Mediocrity said in In other news today...:

Some fat is required for body to function (cell membranes etc.), but the lower bound of 'less fat' is not specified.

Women have a very obvious indicator of too little fat which is their period stopping. Men not so much.

In so many stores, the sugar-free version of yogurt is either low-fat for no-fat. I try to get the Greek sugar-free full-fat vanilla. It be nice if it came in other flavors but I'm happy for one that is not plain.
    I put some in my oatmeal, I'm not avoiding carbs, I'm avoiding (trying to) useless carbs. And with the oatmeal, I take a package of flavored and mix it with plain. Plain oatmeal with plain yogurt would just be sad.

Fruit-flavored yogurt is just yogurt mixed with some jam, so you can add some yourself instead. Or try dried fruit like my wife does.

Quite long ago some diaries around here started making the flavored yogurts, the better ones, so that there is a layer of jam or chocolate cream at the bottom and plain yogurt over it. And over time we switched to smaller diaries that have the best yogurt, but don't bother with flavored. We add fresh fruit when it's in season (going from strawberries, then raspberries and blueberries, over apricots to plums), and then I have flavored cereal biscuits with the plain yogurt while my wife has the yogurt with dried fruit and buckwheat flakes.

Fruit-flavored yogurt is just yogurt mixed with some jam [
]

Which also explains why there is no sugar-free flavored yogurt beyond vanilla: the jam is what contains the sugar.

Around here we have powidl, which is similar to jam but with no added sugar (only plum, pear or apple; other fruit is too sour), or some (French) jams that are sweetened with apple syrup only, so no plain sugar either. If you could find something like that, you can flavor your yogurt with those.

• BINNED

@DogsB said in In other news today...:

Just use a bank already. :headdesk:

• Considered Harmful

@topspin said in In other news today...:

@DogsB said in In other news today...:

Just use a bank already. :headdesk:

Let me cheque if there are any nearby 🐠

• Considered Harmful

@Karla said in In other news today...:

@Applied-Mediocrity said in In other news today...:

Women have a very obvious indicator of too little fat which is their period stopping. Men not so much.

Loss of butt. We experience loss of butt.

• Considered Harmful

Around here we have powidl, which is similar to jam but with no added sugar

Soon, we will find your lands, then we will send sugar.

• @Gribnit We have sugar all right. We just tend to use it more moderately than you.

• Considered Harmful

@Gribnit We have sugar all right. We just tend to use it more moderately than you.

Sure, sure. Next you'll be saying you don't have a strictly bipartisan electoral structure.

• @Gribnit I will, because we sure don't. Our current cabinet is a five-coalition, plus there are two opposition parties in the lower house. And the upper house, which is elected by majority and in thirds still has representatives from some other parties that didn't make the lower house in the last elections.

:wtf_owl:

• Did You Know that Netflix's blog is named Too Dumb?

Apparently they laid off the people who wrote for it.

• Considered Harmful

@Parody yeah, they seriously needed to be plumping that blag somehow in their set-top shit because that happening was the first I heard of yonder blag.

Apparently it was their "credibly diverse" team that they discarded, too. 🍿

• Considered Harmful

@Gribnit I will, because we sure don't. Our current cabinet is a five-coalition, plus there are two opposition parties in the lower house. And the upper house, which is elected by majority and in thirds still has representatives from some other parties that didn't make the lower house in the last elections.

Yeah, yeah. I've heard this one before. The other one has bells on it.

• Considered Harmful

@acrow healthy humans won't overproduce enough to satisfy quarterly growth needs.

• Considered Harmful

On-Topic: Google's doing a Route 66 thing today, no doubt to the busiment of the world of amateur eschatology.

• The next version will be a little more NSFW, the researchers hope.

• @BernieTheBernie

But if and when someone runs with this idea and commercializes the mouth haptics hardware, we’re undoubtedly going to see the world’s first virtual reality kissing booth realized, among other experiences the researchers are probably wisely tip-toeing around.

• đŸšœ Regular

They started off testing by subjecting users to virtual spider webs and goo. I like how they roll.

• @topspin said in In other news today...:

Salmon versus chocolate flakes:
    48b76089-f533-4234-92af-09a1d9828791-grafik.png

Stupid Bitch.

The same exists now in France (and it's really the same, down to the look of it, which probably means it's a EU thing, cue :wharrgarbl: because anything the EU does is Bad).

The part that made me :rofl: is when artisan cheese producers suddenly realised that their cheeses would get a D (or maybe even E) and whined that, basically, they thought the label was aimed at junk food, not at them, and it was so unfair.

Well dumbheads, your cheeses are full-fat, and you're often proudly saying so, so what else did you expect? :rolleyes:

Also if some people are dumb enough to buy cheese thinking that since they're not junk food they must be good for them, well, maybe that over-simplistic label is actually a good thing.

• đŸšœ Regular

@remi said in In other news today...:

The same exists now in France (and it's really the same, down to the look of it, which probably means it's a EU thing, cue because anything the EU does is Bad).

I have seen those before, but not in a while. Which tells me those only appear on some products, not all. I wonder why.

Darn it, I've been nerd-sniped.

The Nutri-Score system was adopted for voluntary use and first implemented in France in 2017.

Eh, I haven't been that nerd-sniped after all. I can't be bothered to pay attention to this at the moment and I think I'm just going to leave the tab open to read never later.

• @remi said in In other news today...:

probably means it's a EU thing

Deⓕinitely.

anything the EU does is Bad

There may be a thing or two that isn't, but their bad-to-good things ratio is definitely very poor.

whined that, basically, they thought the label was aimed at junk food, not at them, and it was so unfair.

How could something lobbied through by the junk food makers ever be aimed at junk food? Of course it was aimed at the honest-to-goodness stuff.

Also if some people are dumb enough to buy cheese thinking that since they're not junk food they must be good for them

Well, they are. But too much of everything is harmful and that applies to cheese just as to anything else. They are still much better than most of the stuff that got an A.

• đŸšœ Regular

Update: I've skimmed through the article and nothing really caught my attention.

It didn't seem to be worth my time, so I just closed the tab.