Deleting Is Awesome

• Sadly, the dialog box went away too quickly to capture.

I selected a folder on my external hard drive and hit Delete. After a few seconds of churning, Windows informed me it had deleted 6.93 Terabytes. Which is really awesome since it's a 2 TB drive that's less than half full.

http://i.imgur.com/dPMgC4Y.png

If any of you suddenly find that you have files missing, sorry about that.

• area_deu

Paging @Vault_Dweller, someone stole your avatar ...

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

The real question though...

Can you undo the delete?

• Impossible Mission - B

No worries. Royalties are only $50,000/month. AND, if you pay before the end of the month, you get a secret avatar for free!

• The news article caught my eye and I thought of This Place, and in the list of Suggested Topics was this thread. So I thought it worth the Necro:

• Something weird is going on there. .bzvol doesn’t get sorted before .DS_Store (a file that you can expect to find in the root of any OS X volume) by most Unix-based programs, since they tend to treat filenames as case-sensitive. Since Adobe loves to roll its own, you’d kind of expect the installer to talk to the BSD subsystem directly instead of going through the normal OS X channels, but it looks like it does do just that after all. And in any case, why is it asking for a directory listing that includes hidden files?

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

Perhaps it deleted all the .DS_Store files the first time it ran and is working on deleting the next 'first' file on subsequent iterations.

• If that’s what happened there would have been a much greater outcry than just from the users of a fairly obscure backup program, because it would also have deleted some or all of the following for many users:

[code].DocumentRevisions-V100
    .PKInstallSandboxManager
    .Spotlight-V100
    .SymAVQSFile
    .Trashes
    .VolumeIcon.icns[/code]

And most of them are directories with useful stuff in them, like documents being worked on in various applications and the system’s search database :)

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.