On Alarms and waking up

• @accalia said:

/me goes off to tinker

My work here is done. 🙇

Filed under: NEED Mr. Burns "exceeeelleeent" emoji,
    but Dr.Evil would do.

• BINNED

@ijij said:

Does anybody use an app that has, I dunno, an "Anti-Snooze" button? -- "I'm awake! Don't go off!" button?

Wait. you don't want... what to go off?

Screen? Alarm? Or do you mean don't ring again? Don't activate the next alarm? I am confuse (ESL not helping)!

• ♿ (Parody)

@ijij said:

You're not supposed to be able to make up lost sleep, but this "system" somehow mostly works for moi.

I think it depends on what you think "make up sleep" means. For me, it means that I generally need a longer than 8 hour sleep after a week of sleep deprivation to get back to normal. I can go a day or two of 6 hours without problem, but 5 days of 6-7 hours and I'm dragging and need a reset.

• @Onyx said:

Wait. you don't want... what to go off?

No. I'm already awake.

Ideally... wake up, hit AntiSnooze, drop phone/pod into my pants pocket and ignore until I put it on the nightstand at bedtime.

I know, FWP.

But if somebody knows of an app that does it. I'll spend the $1.99.

Unless Jeff wrote it.

• BINNED

@ijij said:

Ideally... wake up, hit AntiSnooze, drop phone/pod into my pants pocket and ignore until I put it on the nightstand at bedtime.

Just... hit "off" instead of snooze?

I'm either missing something or being trolled.

• ♿ (Parody)

@Onyx said:

Just... hit "off" instead of snooze?

I'm either missing something or being trolled.

But then you have to remember to turn it back on for tomorrow.

• @boomzilla said:

I think it depends on what you think "make up sleep" means. For me, it means that I generally need a longer than 8 hour sleep after a week of sleep

i.e. YMMV.

I think it works because "make up sleep" is only about 10 hours each on Saturday + Sunday, and I'm still up at time most people would call "early". And there's at least a weekly rhythm to it.

• FoxDev

@boomzilla said:

If you have to turn it back on again, it's not a very good alarm, is it? 😛

• BINNED

@boomzilla said:

Again. Confused. Every alarm app I ever used had a recurring setting. I have a regular "work" alarm at 05:30 set to Mon-Fri, and weekend ones I toggle as needed.

• @Onyx said:

I have a regular "work" alarm at 05:30 set to Mon-Fri,

What happens Tuesday if you turn it off at 5:20 on Monday?

• ♿ (Parody)

@ijij said:

These people never wake up early. I'm not sure the concept has ever occurred to them. We should probably quit while we're...wherever we are.

• Oh, you mean a "skip the next time this alarm would happen" button?

That does indeed sound like a great idea.

• @boomzilla said:

These people never wake up early. I'm not sure the concept has ever occurred to them. We should probably quit while we're...wherever we are.

Right. I've mentioned it elsewhere, but getting up when I do is preferable to only one thing short of death.

DC traffic.

Since DST I've hitting the road about 30 minutes late and I am hating life - but getting through my books on CD faster...

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

The default alarm clock on my Android phone sticks a notification about ten minutes before the alarm in my tray, with a "cancel" button on it that will prevent it from going off after all without changing when it's set to go off in the settings.

• BINNED

@aliceif said:

Oh, you mean a "skip the next time this alarm would happen" button?

Ok, @ijij liked this so I guess that's what he's asking for.

@ijij said:

Does anybody use an app that has, I dunno, an "Anti-Snooze" button? -- "I'm awake! Don't go off!" button?

This would indicate that the idea is to shut it up for now, not next day... so "next time" would be at the end of the snooze period? Moving on:

@boomzilla said:

But... There's always "snooze" and... I don't feel like setting an alarm now just to check, but if it's not "off", it's... "Dismiss"?

@boomzilla said:

These people never wake up early.

@Onyx said:

I have a regular "work" alarm at 05:30 set to Mon-Fri

Yeah... Or do you mean "before the alarm" by "early"? I just set an earlier alarm then.

I feel like I should indirectly quote someone else, too. Can someone please explain to me what functionality beyond snooze and dismiss is asked for here? Explain is if I'm an idiot this time. Because I apparently am one.

• FoxDev

@Onyx said:

But... There's always "snooze" and... I don't feel like setting an alarm now just to check, but if it's not "off", it's... "Dismiss"?

That's correct for WinPhone; other OSes may vary

• BINNED

@RaceProUK said:

That's correct for WinPhone; other OSes may vary

Stock Android alarm had that since, at the very latest, 2.2.

• FoxDev

oh. well that simplifies my work....

unless that's just a manufacurer overlay? what phone is it? is it running AOSP or customized image for the manufacturer?

• ♿ (Parody)

@Onyx said:

Can someone please explain to me what functionality beyond snooze and dismiss is asked for here?

The issue is you wake up an hour, half hour, whatever before your alarm and decide to get up. Now, you can be a dick, and let it wake up your wife when it eventually goes off (and no one is there to shut it off), or you can turn it off. But now, you have to remember to turn it back on, after the normal alarm time, or it won't work tomorrow.

NB: I use a normal clock radio. You phone alarm people can get the hell off my lawn. Actually, even my phone does alarms, but fuck you if you think I'm going to keep my cell phone in my bedroom.

• BINNED

@boomzilla said:

The issue is you wake up an hour, half hour, whatever before your alarm and decide to get up.

Okay! Now it's clear. Yeah, that would be neat.

I guess I strained my psychic powers too much yesterday so that didn't come through at first.

Also, no quote of the "idiot" bit? I am dissapoint by the missed flamebait potential!

• @boomzilla said:

The issue is you wake up an hour, half hour, whatever before your alarm and decide to get up.
    Now, you can be a dick, and let it wake up your wife when it eventually goes off (and no one is there to shut it off), or you can turn it off. But now, you have to remember to turn it back on, after the normal alarm time, or it won't work tomorrow.

🔼 THIS!

But, in the one thing I do that's not geezer-like, I use my phone/pod because I have a bunch of alarms for a bunch of different things besides waking up in the morning.

EDIT: sort of a jujitsu Hanzo-ish thing??

• ♿ (Parody)

@ijij said:

But, in the one thing I do that's not geezer-like, I use my phone/pod because I have a bunch of alarms for a bunch of different things besides waking up in the morning.

I have lots of these set up in KOrganizer on various machines (work stuff and home stuff and stuff to remind me to plug in my rechargeable headset). But not on my phone.

• BINNED

@boomzilla said:

but fuck you if you think I'm going to keep my cell phone in my bedroom.

So you don't get calls in the middle of the night from work? Are they hiring?

Moto X, but I think other posts in the thread have indicated it's stock.

I believe the actual wording is "Dismiss". It has words with an X next to it and it makes the thing go away which is about all I can process in the morning :)

• FoxDev

@Yamikuronue said:

It has words with an X next to it

What decadence is this? I don't get an X on my phone alarm… 😛

In the notification tray?

I hate the actual icons when the alarm is going off, mind. Eyeball or Z, which of those means "STFU"? >.>

• FoxDev

:jokefail.gif:

On WinPhone, the alarm is its own thing; it doesn't show in the normal notification tray.

@Yamikuronue said:

Eyeball or Z, which of those means "STFU"?

At a guess, Z. Though when you've just woken up, that sort of processing may not be available; sometimes it takes a while for that service to start.

I usually want to hit eyeball.

Then again, I almost never interact with my own alarm. My husband gets up and turns it off and starts making food and I go "murr, cold" and pass back out again until he comes and wakes me up when food's ready. He's a morning person :)

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@ijij said:

My work here is done.

Someone just got nerdsniped.

@boomzilla said:

O_o. Every Android alarm I've ever seen--this goes for Windows, too--gives you an option to make the alarm one-time-only or repeat every week. I have one alarm set to go off at 6:15AM every M-F.

@ijij said:

I make sure never to do that.

@Yamikuronue said:

The default alarm clock on my Android phone sticks a notification about ten minutes before the alarm in my tray, with a "cancel" button on it that will prevent it from going off after all without changing when it's set to go off in the settings.

Which phone is that? I've had HTCs, LGs, and Samsungs and never seen that.

Seems like a theoretically useful idea, but I just let the alarm go off if I wake up early.

• ♿ (Parody)

@antiquarian said:

So you don't get calls in the middle of the night from work?

Heh, nope. I've managed to never have a work provided cell phone. And am quite happy about that.

@antiquarian said:

Are they hiring?

Always. But it's a big company, and not everyone who works here is as lucky as I am.

• ♿ (Parody)

@FrostCat said:

O_o. Every Android alarm I've ever seen--this goes for Windows, too--gives you an option to make the alarm one-time-only or repeat every week. I have one alarm set to go off at 6:15AM every M-F.

Eh, OK. I don't think that will run on the clock next to my bed, though.

@boomzilla said:

You phone alarm people can get the hell off my lawn.

Why would you even ever not use your phone, you crazy old coot?! You can set the alarm sound to something other than "alarm clock buzz", and you can set as many alarms as you need, and you can have an alarm anywhere you want! And if you're at a hotel or someone's house, you don't have to worry about making sure there is a clock/the wakeup service doesn't screw up/you didn't set the alarm wrong.

Your phone alarm is [1]infinitely better than your old transistor thingy. If you don't want your phone in your bedroom, the most likely reason for that I can think of is "I don't want calls at 11PM/3AM/whatever." But then, what if someone calls you with a real emergency? In any event, all phones have a silent or vibrate mode, and Android ones usually have a "do not make noise between x and y hours" setting on top of that.

Make technology work for you. Put down that buggy whip.

[1]nearly

• @ijij said:

I don't know if it's there by default or part of the custom ROM I'm using but my Android alarm has a "Dismiss Now" notification that comes up a couple hours before an alarm is supposed to go off.

@boomzilla said:

let it wake up your wife when it eventually goes off

Conveniently for me my wife is a heavy sleeper and my alarm almost never wakes her up.

It helps that my alarm is music, not transistor screeches, and that since the phone is on the nightstand a foot from my head, I can turn it off most of the time within about 2 seconds.

• BINNED

@FrostCat said:

I'm not the only one that got confused!

The proposed functionality is to have a button that turns off the alarm only for the next time it should go off. So if you wake up before the alarm you can tell it "ok, not today dude, I'm fine" and still have it go off next week without you having to turn it on again manually.

I think.

• That's exactly how it works on my phone. I've got a recurring weekday alarm set for 7 am, and whenever I wake up ahead of it I hit "Dismiss" on the notification and that's it. The recurring schedule is still effective and the alarm is scheduled for the next day without any additional messing around.

• @boomzilla said:

I've managed to never have a work provided cell phone

What does that have to do with getting calls in the night from work? Are you saying that if they don't provide you a phone then you shouldn't be getting calls?

• BINNED

@hungrier said:

whenever I wake up ahead of it I hit "Dismiss" on the notification and that's it

Oh. Never noticed that one. Maybe a ROM feature. Will have to check.

• @antiquarian said:

So you don't get calls in the middle of the night from work? Are they hiring?

My cellphone has 'quiet hours' functionality—it's not allowed to make any sound or do anything obnoxious between 10:30pm and 6:30am...

• @Yamikuronue said:

Eyeball or Z, which of those means "STFU"? >.>

Eyeball means "I'm awake now", "Zzz" means I'm snoozing... (I think...)

FWIW, selecting either will make the alarm stop in the immediate term.

Yeah but one of them makes it go off again while I'm in the bathroom and can't get back over to the bedside table to shut it off again.

• @Yamikuronue said:

Yeah but one of them makes it go off again while I'm in the bathroom and can't get back over to the bedside table to shut it off again.

I would suggest not going to the bathroom...

• @FrostCat said:

I make sure never to do that.

Then we aren't the same person.

;)

So it looks like this may already be an existing thing called "Dismiss Now" in phones that aren't like mike my old pod...

So maybe replace my pod with an Andro-phone...

Might damage my hipster-cred tho'.

• Anyway, my "dual alarm" scheme worked brilliantly—it's 7:40am and I'm on my third coffee already...

• ♿ (Parody)

@FrostCat said:

Why would you even ever not use your phone, you crazy old coot?! You can set the alarm sound to something other than "alarm clock buzz",

It turns on the radio.

@FrostCat said:

and you can set as many alarms as you need

I only get up once.

@FrostCat said:

and you can have an alarm anywhere you want!

I want it next to my bed.

@FrostCat said:

And if you're at a hotel or someone's house, you don't have to worry about making sure there is a clock/the wakeup service doesn't screw up/you didn't set the alarm wrong.

In the rare event that I'm there, I might set up my phone alarm.

@FrostCat said:

Your phone alarm is [1]infinitely better than your old transistor thingy.

Denied.

@FrostCat said:

But then, what if someone calls you with a real emergency?

They know my home phone number and aren't calling me on my cell phone. And then when I want my phone, it'll be up in my room instead of on my desk where it belongs.

@FrostCat said:

Make technology work for you.

I am. I use lots of different stuff where it's appropriate and works well. Phone alarms just don't fit well into my life like they do yours.

• ♿ (Parody)

@locallunatic said:

What does that have to do with getting calls in the night from work? Are you saying that if they don't provide you a phone then you shouldn't be getting calls?

Not necessarily, but when they feel it's important to someone's job that they be reachable, they give them phones. That's not part of my job.

• BINNED

@tar said:

I would suggest not going to the bathroom...

Or take the phone with you ... don't leave it alone in the bedroom