Steam's "Discovery Update"

• I can't like this picture... it hurts my soul that its probably true :(

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

I have a friend who was ages late to playing Episodes 1 and 2. At least this way he has a chance at playing HL3 in a reasonable amount of time after it comes out.

• @algorythmics said:

TotalBiscuit's thought process is that the way he does stuff is the only viable way to do stuff, and anything else is completely wrong.

Can't think of anyone else who thinks like that. Nope.

• Well, that's because code redemption is part of the client application, not in any of the pages.

Why? Who knows.

• As usual, Steam Giveth and Steam Continueth To Suck. (Yes, I know that's hardly Elizabethan.)

They finally gave me, the uncontrollable spender, a feature I've wanted for a long time. Typically, they implemented it so that it's still a pain in the ass and it doesn't work. What feature? Well, my Steam library is typically American in its morbid obesity. I have a little over 500 games (http://steamcommunity.com/id/vaelyn), which changes according to the day of week since Steam can't count games/expansions/sequels/packages correctly... which brings me to the problem.

Store pages now label games you already have as being in your inventory, so the massively stupid compulsive buyer in me can now know if I have a game or not. However, as far as I can find, there's no place for me to opt to just omit these from display, or sort them to the bottom, or in any way get them out of the way to display the games that I don't have. You know, since my relationship with games is more like Pokemon than anything else: I just want to have them; screw actually playing them. (Okay, so I do collect them for a half-decent reason: they're like a retirement investment. I archive them for the future. This is a half-assedly done project, since so far most of my library isn't backed up at all.)

But the problem, as I was saying, is that Steam seems to have no concept of when one game is included in a package or collection or given as an extra or anything. So, buy a collection of games... sometimes a collection of 10 games means you just bought 10 games, sometimes it means you bought 1. Sometimes Steam condescends to acknowledge that buying The Valve Collection (or whatever it's called) means you have HL2 already, or buying The Orange Box means you have Lost Coast... and sometimes it pretends you don't have them at all. You buy the Special Wechargemore Edition of something, and Steam still claims you don't have the Basic Bitches Version that was included in it. So, not only do games you have which Steam says you have clutter up your misguided attempt to fatten your library at the expense of your miserable wallet, so do games you have that Steam refuses to admit you already own.

Also, is it too goddamned much to ask for them to have decent pagination? I mean, I'd rather just see a single list of all 500 things on sale, but if Valve insists on making me page through them at 10-games-a-page, can they please fix it so that I don't have to start over completely whenever I open a game page? This is so broken that during Steam sales I usually open the browser version of their store since it allows me to have tabs. You know, like any browser since before Steam was a thing. (I may be wrong on the dates... but I don't care.) I mean, if Valve is going to give you a shittier version of their own web pages in the client, why can't they just send you to their site in your browser instead of reinventing a shitty wheel?

Clearly I have some kind of autoflagellation fetish to have spent so much money in Steam; the least they could do is finally fix some simple things like having a reliable way to run offline. Or they could hire me to do it.

• @VaelynPhi said:

I have a little over 500 games (http://steamcommunity.com/id/vaelyn),

Pfft. Lightweight.

• @VaelynPhi said:

(Okay, so I do collect them for a half-decent reason: they're like a retirement investment. I archive them for the future. This is a half-assedly done project, since so far most of my library isn't backed up at all.)

"investment"? "archive"? "Backed up"? What?

You do know you don't own those games, right? You don't even own a licensed copy of those games like you would if you bought them on floppy disk. You are renting. You own nothing. You can't sell them, there's no investment, your "archives" are likely a violation of copyright.

I have no idea what you think you're achieving.

EDIT: @blakeyrat tells me I'm being a judgemental arsehole. He's certainly qualified to know. I didn't meant to come across that way. I don't know what your goals are and your post confused me. Sorry for judgemental tone.

• @another_sam said:

He's not being a judgmental asshole, for one thing.

• @blakeyrat said:

Hahahahahahahahaha!!!!

• ♿ (Parody)

@blakeyrat said:

What kind of asshole is he being?

@another_sam said:

Sorry for judgemental tone.

He kind of invited it and not so secretly agrees with you, I think.

• BINNED

@boomzilla said:

What kind of asshole is he being?

The plain home and garden type.

• He's purchased a subscription to those games; as long as Valve remains in existence, they're morally obliged to continue to grant him that subscription. Legally, they can cancel it at any time, but if they started doing shit like that for no reason then there would be a massive revolt.

And even then there's always NoSteam...

Filed under: we need a new tag cloud to attack

• @Luhmann said:

The plain home and garden type.

As opposed to an asshole from a greenhouse?

• @VaelynPhi, each of the following points would have earned a separate like from me. In future, you should split the funny into multiple posts so that I can award you an appropriate number of likes.

@VaelynPhi said:

Well, my Steam library is typically American in its morbid obesity.

@VaelynPhi said:

You know, since my relationship with games is more like Pokemon than anything else: I just want to have them; screw actually playing them.

@VaelynPhi said:

but if Valve insists on making me page through them at 10-games-a-page, can they please fix it so that I don't have to start over completely whenever I open a game page?

@VaelynPhi said:

I mean, if Valve is going to give you a shittier version of their own web pages in the client, why can't they just send you to their site in your browser instead of reinventing a shitty wheel?

• @another_sam said:

I can play them even if Steam won't start. IE, the games work from my archive even if Valve ceases to exist.

@another_sam said:

You do know you don't own those games, right? You don't even own a licensed copy of those games like you would if you bought them on floppy disk. You are renting. You own nothing. You can't sell them, there's no investment, your "archives" are likely a violation of copyright.

:🤷: Chances are that I'm violating a TOS at the very least.

• @TwelveBaud said:

He's purchased a subscription to those games; as long as Valve remains in existence, they're morally obliged to continue to grant him that subscription. Legally, they can cancel it at any time, but if they started doing shit like that for no reason then there would be a massive revolt.

I'm more worried about, say, EA's nonsense distribution platform than Steam.

@Keith said:

@VaelynPhi, each of the following points would have earned a separate like from me. In future, you should split the funny into multiple posts so that I can award you an appropriate number of likes.

Heh; thank you. I will have to do that so I can monetize my likes appropriately.

@another_sam said:

blakeyrat:

Hahahahahahahahaha!!!!

An ironic comment is a joy always; amirite?

@another_sam said:

EDIT: @blakeyrat tells me I'm being a judgemental arsehole. He's certainly qualified to know. I didn't meant to come across that way. I don't know what your goals are and your post confused me. Sorry for judgemental tone.

Well, I replied to the content of your post rather than the tone.

As a somewhat aside, it's my experience of most software users that they will use software in according to their needs, not the EULA. So far, this hasn't bitten me. I would be admittedly very surprised to have to defend myself against a EULA violation rather than, say, outright theft.