Home Web Server

• BINNED

I played with a few old HP thin clients and found them servicable if all you stuck on it is a basic system, barebones X and rdesktop / xvcnviewer and that's it.

I do have one where I crammed on a full system using btrfs with compression, it's minimal but it works. Too bad it's GPU is crap, I actually managed to run XBMC on it fairly decently, but once you ask it to render a proper video it just keels over.

• Company I work for runs on them exclusively for the call center. About 600 agents.

• Sykes?

• @Luhmann said:

Your application fails to connect properly to my aging serial barcode reader/scanner that is hooked up through a serial-usb convertor.

I assume they also went from USB to PS/2 and back a few times.

• BINNED

@ben_lubar said:

USB to PS/2

Actually, no. But that is because we and our scanners only support USB and serial. The USB version is simply a serial one in disguise. It installs a virtual serial port that is used by the application. So we get: "You have to set the com-port setting in the settings screen to the com-port that is assigned to the virtual com-port by windows. You can find that one in windows device manager." "But I'm using an USB version ..." "Just set the damn com settings plz, and don't connect it to a different USB port because that might cause windows to assign a different com-port number to the virtual shizzle"

• BINNED

This rings awfully familiar...

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

@Arantor said:

The thing is, we all take the piss out of most PHP JavaScript developers - and I speak from the other side of the fence as I say this - as it is rightly deserved. Most PHP JavaScript programmers are API JQuery gluers not programmers. Most PHP JavaScript 'programmers' would struggle to implement simple sorting if PHP JavaScript didn't make it easy for them in the first place. I don't implement my own, because PHP JavaScript provides me a native one that works faster than my own - but it doesn't mean I can't do it. It just removes me having to.

I've seen the shit most PHP JavaScript programmers turn out. The thought of them growing up to do real programming is absolutely frightening.

This is now my life.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

I was terrified a year or two back when I tried to figure out how to do some code in Javascript (and the HTML5 canvas) and I found that, despite this being the first JS longer than 5 lines that I'd ever written, I could still code may way round the majority of experienced JS devs. Someone who is literally coding by cutting and pasting stuff from documentation shouldn't be able to beat a professional programmer on their own turf.

I suspect I had two unfair advantages: both general programming experience, and a clue about what ought to be possible.

• Is it now treasonous to link to @codinghorror's blog? He has a couple good entries about how the majority of programmers can't actually program. Anecdotally verified when I have to interview programming applicants, many of whom were computer science graduate students.

• It's treasonous to link to your own blog.

You may reference anything you'd like.

• @dkf said:

I was terrified a year or two back when I tried to figure out how to do some code in Javascript (and the HTML5 canvas) and I found that, despite this being the first JS longer than 5 lines that I'd ever written, I could still code may way round the majority of experienced JS devs. Someone who is literally coding by cutting and pasting stuff from documentation shouldn't be able to beat a professional programmer on their own turf.

The front-end people I have experience with don't really code. It's like it never occurs to them that they are programmers and the thing they are making is an application of sorts. They see their job as:

• Cut prepared PSD into HTML and CSS
    • Dig up whatever jquery lib is needed to achieve the functionality the user asked
    • Glue it together as best as they can and call it a day

I put them in the same basket with many PHP hackers. It's the old story, really. IT sector keeps expanding and demanding more people. Standards are lowered, conditions are improved. A lot of people that were never interested in programming suddenly find this career very enticing. They look for the lowest barrier to entry. They get employed as a 'coder' in a PHP/Wordpress mill or a frontend PSD cutter. Since they are not interested in the trade, their skills more or less stagnate. The only improvement is in the speed in which they can perform their mechanic-like work. This is enough so they get to call themselves 'seniors' a few years down the road. And we keep getting their handiwork on this site.

• Why is @dkf's quote attributed to me?

• Fixed. Not sure how that happened.

• @cartman82 said:

Fixed. Not sure how that happened.

Discourse. 'Nuff said.

• BINNED

I hate that using jQuery is slowly getting equated with having no fucking clue what you're doing. I'm not a JS guru. I use jQuery for two reasons:

1. It helps me save time
    2. It helps me do stuff that I would otherwise have to spend time googling on how to do in JS. So, again, saving time really

I'm slowly offloading all JS work to other people (mostly by asking them to fix my admitted fuckups first), so I can focus on other stuff. But for someone like me who, due to unforeseen circumstances, ended up as the resident "expert" on everything coding related, jQuery has been a savior from the closest mental institution.

• I see where you're coming from and for complex stuff I would tend to agree... except there is an increasing amount of fuckwaddery from API gluers that think you should use jQuery for adding numbers together and crap like that.

A couple of years ago, jQuery was really, really useful at bridging some of the platform games, especially if you're doing pixel perfect placement, and some of the animation stuff is extremely convenient to have if that's your thing.

But now, there's simply less reason to need jQuery because it's increasingly the case that stuff jQuery does is being handled by the browser better anyway.

http://youmightnotneedjquery.com/ for example is quite handy for a lot of the typical lighter lifting.

• BINNED

I use it less as the time goes on, really. I mostly like it due to it producing (mostly) cleaner code when dealing with injecting stuff into DOM and iterating over elements than littering my code with getElementByID, getElementByClassName and similar verbosely named functions. Which are not a bad thing in itself but damn they are a pain to mantain if you switch stuff around, as opposed to just changing $('#id') into $(.class[data-attr="attr"]).

But yes, the abuse is ripe all around. jQuery is kinda becoming the PHP of JS libraries. Sure you can use it to do some nice stuff, but it damn sure makes it easy to do things wrong.

• I've said it before and I'll say it again.

I ❤ jQuery.

It makes things like AJAX and DOM manipulation so easy and clean that I'll use it for anything but the smallest sites. I like not having to worry about browser specific problems. It's a solved problem, just use jQuery.

Admittedly, you should still have a decent understanding of the underlying code and JavaScript itself.

EDIT: Linking to my previous posts just doesn't have the same authority as a blog. I'm going to have to start a blog of random crap that I've said so I can link to it to back up my arguments.

• It's not like JavaScript was a particularly nice language to start with.

• After getting my server and a few less than stellar linux installs on the poweredge 2950 (some linux OS apparently aren't comparable, notably ubuntu server just freezes the server) I decided to give linux mint a try.

So far there have been absolutely no issues what-so-ever, and I've successfully added my www admin, made my www jail, set up the basic configurations and got the server to boot in text mode. Just need to install nginx and let the raid controller finish charging, then open it up, install the new hard drives, and install the vms on the newly installed harddrives.

Though... I've never installed a vm through text only mode, so that should be interesting.

• What VM system are you going to use?

• Going to try out a few, basically I'm just looking to compartmentalize the php server on one, and mono server on the other. This will allow me to properly set up my nginx main server as if it were a proxy server / caching server / load balancing server... At least, that's the goal

So probably a virtualbox headless server, since i've played with it a bit in the past. But I'm open to suggestions.

• I've done VBox and Xen by commandline. Both are straight-forward. Xen is faster, but more of a pain to make machines from images.

If you're doing this for a project, I can highly recommend Vagrant as a VBox front end.

• I'll take a look, ultimately anything I use should have extremely straight forward 'export box' and 'import box' settings, because if the prototype works out, i'd like to look at expanding to more computers as stress tests

• It has... something different. But it's good.

Basically, you make a Vagrantfile which has settings for all your VMs, by "machine role". Typically, you'd set up provisioning for each role too (so, puppet or salt or whatever).

Then, once you're happy with the machines, you edit the Vagrantfile to point at a different VM provider (so, for example, I'm developing on VBox and deploying to digital ocean)

• That sounds way more complicated than my plug and play virtual box.

• A great success has occurred this day! I successfully set up my firewall rule to allow local LAN ssh, turned on the firewall and DIDN'T lock myself out from the server.

Mission fucking success.

• Yeah, it's more complicated than a Virtual Box until you need to make the same environment in a different virtual machine system.

Think of Vagrant + Provisioning = Scripts to deploy an environment anywhere. A server. A vm. A cloud.

• Been spending most of the night figuring out fighting learning how to use with Nginx on how to properly configure site locations and get fastcgi to work with mono. It's kind of a pain in the ass. I think I'm starting to get the hang of it though, and will pick it up in the morning when I'm not so tired.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Keith said:

I ❤ jQuery.

It makes things like AJAX and DOM manipulation so easy and clean

Provided you're manipulating HTML DOM, I'd agree. jQuery is a nasty pile of fail for XML DOM; it's very close to being great, but isn't namespace-aware and so becomes a ticking timebomb, just waiting for someone to tweak the services you're using and change the (officially insignificant) namespace prefix that they're using.

(I had to fix someone's code in this area this week; the scars are still fresh.)

• @blakeyrat said:

IIS is secure by default. That's why its such a PITA to use for dev and everybody uses IIS Express. Your dev web.config is probably not. Use a fresh .config with only the changes you absolutely need.

I'm going to do a little necroing here, as I just came across this:

A new dialog to trust IIS express SSL certificate To eliminate the security warning when browsing and debugging HTTPS on localhost, we added a dialog to allow Internet Explorer and Chrome to trust the self-signed IIS express SSL certificate.

http://blogs.msdn.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/communityserver-blogs-components-weblogfiles/00-00-00-63-56-metablogapi/3666.clip_5F00_image010_5F00_5E489B84.png

VS 2013+

Microsoft addressed a basic core function shortfall!

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/webdev/archive/2014/04/02/announcing-new-web-features-in-visual-studio-2013-update-2-rc.aspx