The Official Status Thread

• Banned

@HardwareGeek said in The Official Status Thread:

@Gąska said in The Official Status Thread:

What's wrong with YT embeds? Wait, there was a forum update recently.

I had that problem earlier. The embed showed up after 10 minutes or so. 🤷♂

• @loopback0 said in The Official Status Thread:

@Zerosquare said in The Official Status Thread:

Because it will gleefully obliterate its bootloader.

Yeah but at least you can get Grub to put the Linux one back and then generally Windows doesn't further shit on it.

I'll just try and get the few files out that were on there. And then nuke and re-pave the Linux disk. I hadn't had the time to do much there anyway. I've got a laptop running only Ubuntu, and didn't need to compile anything really big in the last year or so. The only real use I got out of it was moving my remaining files out of the Windows disk without trusting the theoretically compromised Windows.

But I'd really like some permanent solution for isolating the OS disks from each other. I don't trust Windows to not fuck around anymore. My first solution was to swap SSDs in the external SATA bay I have on this chassis. But the SATA connectors are rated for only a few cycles, so they'd wear out too soon for my peace of mind.

@acrow said in The Official Status Thread:

Now to remove the weather applet.
    And the ads from the Start menu.

To remove the included MS Store apps (the ones MS will let you remove) in one go run this is an elevated Powershell window:
    Get-AppxPackage | Remove-AppxPackage

Will that also remove the Nvidia Control Panel? Because that one auto-installed. And possibly pulled the GPU drivers with it. I didn't have the time to get a game running to find out.

I'm afraid un-installing the nvidia controls will put Windows in a limbo.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

Will that also remove the Nvidia Control Panel?

No that's not a Store app

Will that also remove the Nvidia Control Panel?

No that's not a Store app

I sure got a Store notification of it's installation.

ETA:
    I'll add this to the pile of things to double-check when I get home.

• @loopback0 Also, just to make sure we're on the same page here:
    The Nvidia Control Panel has 2 versions. The MS Store version. And the .exe version. Last time I re-installed Windows, it was recommended that I install the .exe version and the stand-alone GPU driver, because the MS driver was out of date. Mix-and-match -ing was said to cause severe issues.

This time, well, I was too late to the chase. The GPU driver is installed. And the Store version of the Control Panel is installed. And I assume that I need to nuke and repave again to change this.

• Banned

@acrow isn't nuke and repave built into NVidia installer?

• Java Dev

@loopback0 Also, just to make sure we're on the same page here:
    The Nvidia Control Panel has 2 versions. The MS Store version. And the .exe version. Last time I re-installed Windows, it was recommended that I install the .exe version and the stand-alone GPU driver, because the MS driver was out of date. Mix-and-match -ing was said to cause severe issues.

This time, well, I was too late to the chase. The GPU driver is installed. And the Store version of the Control Panel is installed. And I assume that I need to nuke and repave again to change this.

And I believe neither of them does anything unless you're a good boy and log in to their cloud.

• Banned

What's wrong with YT embeds? Wait, there was a forum update recently.

I had that problem earlier. The embed showed up after 10 minutes or so. 🤷♂

Oh here it is. That was very long 10 minutes.

Oh right they provide the DCH version via Windows Update now. Should just need to remove the app and driver, then reinstall using the Standard version from the Nvidia site.

Oh right they provide the DCH version via Windows Update now. Should just need to remove the app and driver, then reinstall using the Standard version from the Nvidia site.

Will the Control Panel stay removed? And if not, won't it cause issues when it re-installs and expects the MS version of the drivers?

• Banned

How do you capitalize NVIDIA these days anyway?

• BINNED

An in-depth dive into the differences between American and Indian ways of working and communication. Full of useful instructions how to interact with "the other side", with realistic examples of potential problems.

What do the instructions say about people always answering yes even if the answer is no, e.g. to "does it work?" or "did you finish X?".
    Was that Indian or Chinese culture? Might have been Chinese.

• @topspin said in The Official Status Thread:

An in-depth dive into the differences between American and Indian ways of working and communication. Full of useful instructions how to interact with "the other side", with realistic examples of potential problems.

What do the instructions say about people always answering yes even if the answer is no, e.g. to "does it work?" or "did you finish X?".
    Was that Indian or Chinese culture? Might have been Chinese.

My experience is that is common with Indian workers. Several places I've worked had to teach Indian workers that they are allowed to say no, and to question decisions that they see issues with.

• Banned

@topspin said in The Official Status Thread:

Yes. 🐠

Literally the first example of miscommunication was exactly that. Mr. Smith asks Mr. Pajit if he can come to work on Saturday. Mr Pajit answers that, um, yeah, he can... and also casually mentions his son's birthday party the same day. Mr. Smith congratulates him and tells him to have fun there. Come Saturday - Mr. Smith is confused because Mr. Pajit is nowhere to be seen, and Mr. Pajit is confused because he clearly remembers Mr. Smith excusing him from weekend work.

Was that Indian or Chinese culture?

Both actually.

• @Gąska Who wrote this training material? Asking for a friend... who'd like to send some congratulatory flowers. Definitely not trying to poach them, honest.

• Banned

@topspin Speaking of miscommunication - I didn't notice the "what" in your post. 😅

Basically - instead of asking if something will be done - instead ask if there's anything that could prevent or delay completion of the task. Avoid yes/no questions. Avoid obvious proxies for yes/no questions. Basically, engineer a way for them to say they won't do what they're asked without having them admit they won't do what they're asked.

The training was full of tips for the other side too. About being straight to the point, about not being afraid to say no, about not assuming the dumb American will get what you mean without explicitly spelling it out for them.

• Banned

@Gąska Who wrote this training material? Asking for a friend... who'd like to send some congratulatory flowers. Definitely not trying to poach them, honest.

@Gąska said in Required reading for everyone!:

@Zerosquare you want something even more shocking? A company culture training that's ACTUALLY USEFUL.

The training was based on this book.

9a0fc48c-afc3-4ab1-8b90-9a1890940d3f-image.png

Assuming the content is mostly the same as my training - 👍

• Notification Spam Recipient

@Arantor said in The Official Status Thread:

I do not play games to get frustrated.

The other thing to note about Dark Souls is that it is the literal poster child for the 'git gud' folks to rally under, where the punishing difficulty is kind of the point, but also it comes with a level of toxicity about game difficulty.

Suggest, for a moment, that the game could use an easy mode and rabid fanbois will descend to point out how the problem is that you aren't enjoying the game correctly. Furthermore you will then be righteously mocked for 'you cheated not only the game but yourself' type stuff.

Imagine the sort of game where you could leave notes for each other, in an effort to be helpful, but simply leave a 'just jump' note on the side of a cliff.

At least Souls difficulty is not because a) the designers can't code properly so difficulty is the product of bad implementation or b) the product of 'gotta milk the gameplay for all it's worth' the way 80s games did... it's very intentional to be what it is, and it's not for everyone. I just wish the vocal minority of their fans weren't such asshats about it.

I gotta admit I quite like Miyazaki's purity of vision and his response to adding an easy mode is sod off. Saying that I always thought it was a bad business decision. He could just add a clunky slider to increase/decrease damage and animation speed. That way game journalists can feel included and the git gud crowd can feel great about beating the new game +28 on double plus hard mode. On a more serious note, it would probably bring more people to the game and involve fewer refunds.

I'm very suspicious about the reviews around elden ring at the moment though. The games have always been a niche and still are. The average dark souls fan that I've seen are saying tightening up of the game mechanics in an open world setting. Double plus ultra good. The mainstream is saying the greatest from software game yet. double plus ultra good +2. Typically for From Software games, it's good for the average gamer and double plus good for a From Software fan. I suspect that everyone has gotten caught up in the very vocal hype from the niche and review scores from outlets that wait are going to be lower. The technical issues alone should have stripped points from most reviews.

• BINNED

@topspin Speaking of miscommunication - I didn't notice the "what" in your post. 😅

Basically - instead of asking if something will be done - instead ask if there's anything that could prevent or delay completion of the task. Avoid yes/no questions. Avoid obvious proxies for yes/no questions. Basically, engineer a way for them to say they won't do what they're asked without having them admit they won't do what they're asked.

The training was full of tips for the other side too. About being straight to the point, about not being afraid to say no, about not assuming the dumb American will get what you mean without explicitly spelling it out for them.

That's certainly some useful information for a communication training.
    Although my German cultural background definitely prefers a blunt, factual answer, and having to keep this in mind sounds very taxing.

@error I have no problem turning on cheat engine and popping on a couple more levels instead of grinding. Life is too short for that kind of padding to be entertained.

still fun enough to keep going.

You might be right, but I'll take your word for it. Even if it's true, as I said before, the basic plot of the game doesn't sound like something I'm interested in, so I don't really care whether the mechanics might be fun.

I doubt anyone knows what the actual plot of any of them are. There is however about 2000 hours of youtube speculation about what it might be.

No.

• Banned

@DogsB said in The Official Status Thread:

You might be right, but I'll take your word for it. Even if it's true, as I said before, the basic plot of the game doesn't sound like something I'm interested in, so I don't really care whether the mechanics might be fun.

I doubt anyone knows what the actual plot of any of them are.

The basic plot is pretty straight forward in all of them, even though intentionally obscured throughout the game. It's only the larger lore that's actually vague.

The technical issues alone should have stripped points from most reviews.

They're extremely hardware dependent, so reviewers may simply have never seen them. I've seen stutters, but that's about it. Very occasional graphical glitches, but those have always been for only about 1 or 2 frames before correcting. If I compare this with many other games that do open world stuff, the number of tech issues that I observe is far far lower in ER.

Most of the combat feels very good. Heavy weapons actually seem to behave as if they are heavy, needing real muscles to make them move. Only a few fights feel like absolute bullshit, and almost all the combat can be avoided.

I doubt anyone knows what the actual plot of any of them are.

The basic plot is pretty straight forward in all of them, even though intentionally obscured throughout the game. It's only the larger lore that's actually vague.

Rekindle the flame to prevent the age of dark is more of an instruction than a plot.

• Banned

@DogsB it's always been an excuse plot when you think about it.

• @loopback0 And can the standard version be installed without an active Internet connection? I think I'll have to pull the plug, to keep Windows from re-installing the wrong driver before the Nvidia installer has even finished unpacking.

STATUS very impressed.

The cat I live with has chased off a challenger to his easy food supply. I didn't think it could do anything above a slow amble.

STATUS very impressed.

The cat I live with has chased off a challenger to his easy food supply. I didn't think it could do anything above a slow amble.

Ooooooooohhhhh he's strutting around the place like a tiny tiger that owns all he sees. Usually, this is his nap time after his lunch two hours earlier.

• Java Dev

We're going to be doing a new thing. To facilitate this, we're getting 1½ hour system architecture lectures by someone showing reference documentation on their screen. 17:00-18:30 because that's the only slot where all relevant parties are awake.

Or would be, if the session didn't put them to sleep.

• There seems to be a wild downvoter on the loose in (at least) the help threads.

• Considered Harmful

Although my German cultural background definitely prefers a blunt, factual answer

Is it still an acceptable answer if not delivered along with a mensur? Myself I think not.

• BINNED

@Gribnit that wouldn’t be blunt.

• @DogsB said in The Official Status Thread:

I gotta admit I quite like Miyazaki's purity of vision and his response to adding an easy mode is sod off.

The whole discourse around 'purity of vision' is a bit whack IMNSHO because that gets used to justify things that it shouldn't. For example, the die-hards who argue that DS shouldn't have an easy mode because purity of vision are also more than happy to see mods that change the 'You Died' to 'Thanks Obama' but there's no way that's part of From Software's vision.

Worse, it encourages these toxic asshats to indulge in their toxicity by suggesting that anything less than perfect hardcore is merely inadequate. Especially since all too often people with genuine accessibility issues are also written off in the process.

Me, I'd rather let a game be an experience that tries to (reasonably) cater to more groups where it's possible... from what I've seen, I'd probably enjoy the Dark Souls experience if it didn't come with the expectation of spending 75%+ of my time banging my head on the wall, because the remaining 25%-or-less might be enjoyable.

I get that balancing it would be hard but I fail to understand where the elitist pricks get off on suggesting that an 'easy mode' is akin to a 'baby mode'. It's ableist, if nothing else.

I remember seeing a review of Skyward Sword when it first came out and one of the comments that really hit me was the disappointment of a player who wanted to play but couldn't because there wasn't a game controller option, it was motion controls or nothing. And yet there was no mechanical reason Skyward Sword couldn't have supported a regular controller, it was just Nintendo didn't want to.

Your point about a slider... that wouldn't fly. The git gud crowd actively shun such things because unless everyone plays it at the same difficulty as them, it's meaningless to them. The notion that a game could have an easy setting is offensive on principle - they had to struggle with the game, how DARE anyone get an easier ride?

• BINNED

@Arantor that’s not vision, that’s sales. Motion controls are mostly a gimmick, but when you bet the house on it, you need a way to justify that decision. Making one of the most popular brand names motion control only does that.

• @topspin said in The Official Status Thread:

Making one of the most popular brand names motion control only does that.

I suppose... Skyward Sword was a few years into the Wii's lifetime at that point (2011 on a 2006 platform release), such that Twilight Princess had already come out for the Wii and supported regular controllers. The main title that had cemented the Wii's motion controls was the Wii Sports franchise which predated it by a good while.

• Considered Harmful

@Arantor I'm personally annoyed that I'm not able to savescum. While changing difficulty can be done, the save system is too baked into the design and even handwaved by the plot.

• @Arantor said in The Official Status Thread:

Making one of the most popular brand names motion control only does that.

I suppose... Skyward Sword was a few years into the Wii's lifetime at that point (2011 on a 2006 platform release), such that Twilight Princess had already come out for the Wii and supported regular controllers. The main title that had cemented the Wii's motion controls was the Wii Sports franchise which predated it by a good while.

IIRC, Skyward Sword was the debut of some enhancement for the motion controls that was supposedly better than the original, and the sword swinging was built to showcase that improvement

• @acrow said in The Official Status Thread:

FWIW: I'm running the latest (511.79) driver from NVidia's website despite having the Store's NVidia Control Panel and no GeForce Experience. Doesn't seem to cause any problems. Admittedly, I haven't been playing any AAA games released in the last few months, but still. 🤷🏻♂

On Monday, Microsoft MFA started acting up. The calls would randomly go straight to voicemail but the texts would work. Well today it decided I couldn't make or receive calls at all (but text and internet still work). Now, back towards the end of last year, AT&T :airquotes: somehow :airquotes: put my number on a blocked spam number list that stopped me from making calls to specific people, so I called them expecting a repeat of that. At first they tried to claim I didn't have an AT&T phone, so I told them the AT&T logo on the back, the startup screen, and the box would beg to differ. Then of course my phone was suddenly 3G, even though it says 4G LTE right at the top of the screen. Why my :airquotes: 3G :airquotes: worked a week after they :airquotes: shut off :airquotes: 3G is completely unexplained. After arguing with these women for an hour the only recourse I apparently have is to buy a new phone. And to get equivalent functionality to a 2014 phone in 2022, I have to pay $1100 if the AT&T store decides I can have this model that I want and they list on their site.

I researched for a while and the closest to an explanation I can find, besides "AT&T are assholes," is that the Samsung S4 Active possibly uses 4G for text and data but 3G for voice. Seven years is a probably a good run for a cell phone but it still makes me angry that someone just up and decided that I have to spend money to replace a perfectly functional device.

• Banned

@Zenith said in The Official Status Thread:

But you repeat yourself.

• Banned

Samsung S4 Active possibly uses 4G for text and data but 3G for voice

perfectly functional device

• @Zenith said in The Official Status Thread:

I researched for a while and the closest to an explanation I can find, besides "AT&T are assholes," is that the Samsung S4 Active possibly uses 4G for text and data but 3G for voice.

This is correct. For pre-2020 phones, a software update is required to use "VoLTE" (4G voice) because even though they fucking knew it was coming the telecom companies didn't get their act together until then. Also, if you had a non-AT&T branded S4, despite the fearmongering AT&T did about "we can't possibly support non-AT&T-configured devices", it'd just work: the update is available and has AT&T's network information; at most you'd need to flip a switch in your Phone app settings. Because you have an AT&T phone, you don't get the update, because AT&T said so: they explicitly vetoed it so you'd have to get a new phone.

• @Parody That's good to know. I managed to install the drivers from Nvidia's page. The MS driver was from 2020. Nvidia's was from last month.

Now I just have to wait and see if Windows will "update" back to the old 2020 driver.

In the meanwhile, theHunter: Call of the wild seems to work. Fusion 360 still had all my projects. Autodesk Eagle installed and seems to start. Thunderbird has no way to export and import settings :wtf: . I had to add my mail accounts manually.

Now I'm just missing a PDF reader.

...Oh. Right. And actual software development tools. ...It's been a while since I wrote any software at home. If I get any time away from the kids, I tend to fire up a game instead.

Thunderbird has no way to export and import settings :wtf: . I had to add my mail accounts manually.

You could have copied your profile folder over.

• @Parody said in The Official Status Thread:

Thunderbird has no way to export and import settings :wtf: . I had to add my mail accounts manually.

I actually tried doing that. But when I started Thunderbird, it popped up a box saying "your profile does not exist" or something, and crashed.

I then noticed that the profiles.ini file file was one folder further up in the new installation than it is on my Ubuntu laptop, where it sits next to the xxx.profile and yyy.profile-release folders. I guess the Ubuntu 20.04's version was too far removed from the latest I downloaded, and the profile folder structure isn't compatible anymore.

Hating AT&T.

Your experiences remind me a lot of dealing with Vodaphone, despite being different in so many particulars. (It's the sense of impotent rage at a telco being a bunch of ********* that is common.) Fortunately, my current providers don't give me anything like that level of shit.

• 🚽 Regular

@dkf I'm very happy with Vodaphone, which just goes to show my Vodaphone is not the same as your Vodaphone.

• 🚽 Regular

My thoughts go to the translator/subtitler who made a cancer survivor say she had had a double vasectomy.

@Parody said in The Official Status Thread:

I actually tried doing that. But when I started Thunderbird, it popped up a box saying "your profile does not exist" or something, and crashed.

I then noticed that the profiles.ini file file was one folder further up in the new installation than it is on my Ubuntu laptop, where it sits next to the xxx.profile and yyy.profile-release folders. I guess the Ubuntu 20.04's version was too far removed from the latest I downloaded, and the profile folder structure isn't compatible anymore.

Maybe. It might have worked by fixing a path or two. Who knows?

I didn't have any trouble going between Windows machines, thankfully.