Stop spamming my browser history setting

• Banned

I spent a few hours today extending our extensibility story to support this:

You can read about it here:

This work was important for me for a few reasons:

1. It solves a problem for some members of this community
    2. It paves the way for other plugins that want to add user settings, perhaps one day @ben_lubar can make a TDWTF user settings plugin :)
    3. It keeps @codinghorror happy cause it is not shipped with core
    4. It allowed me to practice our plugin authoring experience and take a few lessons about how to improve it.

Feel free to submit PRs to improve (perhaps an extra setting to do an extra replaceState prior to navigating away)

I personally have this enabled here, cause I feel that scrolling through topics is a tiny bit faster. (chrome is doing some extra work with replaceState and I really hate the flickering favicon)

Anyway, hope you don't hate it.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

Reasons 2 and 4 are excellent ones. Dogfooding requires that you eat the whole contents of the bowl, and not just the meaty chunks.

• Nice try, but doesn't seem to be working for me.

[edit] And now, having gone and looked at my preferences again to double-check if I had managed to set the setting, it is working. What the fucking fuck?

• It didn't take effect till I closed the browser tab/opened a new Discourse session.

• I've been using this setting for a few days now and haven't had any noticeable usability degradation. I think it's a good solution for the history spamming problem.

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

As I see it you still track internally where I am on the website so I am going to notice that disabling History-Spam (in combination with Infinite-Scrolling) breaks the behaviour of the Refresh (F5)

This is a problem on most infinite-scrolling systems but I thought I might as well compose this message.

Bug: Refreshing sets you back to the post you entered the topic through
    Expected Behaviour: For a while now browsers were able to keep your position on a website without spamming your history. Refreshing the topic should at least put me close to where I was reading.
    Actual Behaviour: Pressing F5 halfway through reading a >100 Post topic breaks my flow of reading and is a barrier or something
    Misc: Tested on Firefox 30.0 on Windows 8.1

Filed under: I know I could just turn history spamming back on... but seriously? | If this was already filed under a different topic I apologize | Actually, I don't!

• Banned

I was thinking of replacing state just before navigating away, but it will automatically double history entries

• Two entries per topic would be acceptable, better than one entry per post.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.