PHP Listbox

• This a external consultant way of implementing a listbox in PHP (the rest of the code is worse)

echo "Duration: ";
                    echo 
    "<br>";
                    echo 
    "<select name='duration'>";
                    echo 
    "<option value='0'";
                    if (
    $pfp_duration == '0') {

$pselected "selected";
                    } else {

$pselected "";
                    }
                     echo 
    " $pselected>0</option>";
                    echo 
    "<option value='1'";
                    if (
    $pfp_duration == '1') {

$pselected "selected";
                    } else {

$pselected "";
                    }
                     echo 
    " $pselected>1</option>";
                    echo 
    "<option value='2'";
                    if (
    $pfp_duration == '2') {

$pselected "selected";
                    } else {

$pselected "";
                    }

<---- SNIP MANY LINES ---->

echo "<option value='400'";
                    if (
    $pfp_duration == '400') {

$pselected "selected";
                    } else {

$pselected "";
                    }
                     echo 
    " $pselected>400</option>";
                    echo 
    "</select>";
                    echo 
    "<br><br>";

• When will those lazy PHP developers start introducing loops?

• [quote user="Manni"]When will those lazy PHP developers start introducing loops?[/quote]

You don't need to use loops. L00ps are for n00bs. Just add a comment stating "loops unrolled for greater performance" and you'll become a hax0r.

• I was thinking of becoming a PHP consultant, but I don't know if my wrists can take that much typing.

• The real wtf is that the single quotes and double quotes are reversed everywhere but the echo " $pselected>x</option>"; line.  He's wasting as many as two cpu ticks per line!

• [quote user="Pap"]The real wtf is that the single quotes and double quotes are reversed everywhere but the echo " $pselected>x</option>"; line.  He's wasting as many as two cpu ticks per line![/quote]

which, technically speaking, isn't really an issue with php or html (that is being outputted) 

--

and the proper way to do it   (hopefully it preverses my & gt ; and & lt ; entities)

// I always buffer my output for sanity and cookie's/header's sake
    $html = "Duration: <br><select name=\"duration\">";
    for ($i = 0; $i <= 400; $i++)
    {
    	if ($pselected == $i)
    		$html .= "<option selected value=\"$i\">$i</option>";
    	else
    		$html .= "<option value=\"$i\">$i</option>";
    }

$html .= "</select><br><br>";

• Just for good measure:

The PHP manual advises you to use single quotes unless you really need the double quotes around your text.

$html = "Duration: <br><select name=&quot;duration&quot;>";

Should be written as:

$html = 'Duration: <br><select name="duration">';

Not only do you avoid the ugly backslashes that can often make your code hard to read and/or debug, but PHP parses it faster because it knows it doesn't have to search for any variables.  The benefit can be minimal, but then again so is the effort.  I think an actually significant speed optimization might be:

$html .= '<option value="' . $i .'">' . $i .'</option>';

instead of
    $html .= "<option value=&quot;$i&quot;>$i</option>";

yes, I nitpick, but in a loop that gets run several hundred times per page access on a busy site, every little bit helps.

• [quote user="Pap"]yes, I nitpick, but in a loop that gets run several hundred times per page access on a busy site, every little bit helps.[/quote]

At that point I'd be more worried about memory use.

One example that I think is ridiculous in terms of memory use is this random PHP Template class called PHPTemplate. It has this method called render that wraps the "include $this->tpl_file" in ob_start(9 and ob_end_flush(), and then returns the latter. The way you call it is "echo $tpl->render()". How silly is that?

• [quote user="Pap"]The benefit can be minimal, but then again so is the effort.  I think an actually significant speed optimization might be:

instead of

yes, I nitpick, but in a loop that gets run several hundred times per page access on a busy site, every little bit helps.
    [/quote]

Actually, the second way might be the slower of the two. I've run some basic benchmarking, and many concatenations was actually slower than one double-quoted string. 

• @Kazan said:

[quote user="Pap"]The real wtf is that the single quotes and double quotes are reversed everywhere but the echo " $pselected>x</option>"; line.  He's wasting as many as two cpu ticks per line!

which, technically speaking, isn't really an issue with php or html (that is being outputted) 

--

and the proper way to do it   (hopefully it preverses my & gt ; and & lt ; entities)

{
    	if ($pselected == $i)
    	else
    }

[/quote]

Shouldn't you be using an array of strings and concatenate it at the end?

i don't think PHP strings are mutable, so your cat here is creating a few hundreds temporary strings.

Wouldn't that fare better:

$output = array();
    $output[0] = "Duration: <br><select name=\"duration\">";
    for($i=0; $i <= 400; $i++) {
        if($pselected == $i)
            $output[$i+1] = "<option selected value=\"$i\">$i</option>";
        else
            $output[$i+1] = "<option value=\"$i\">$i</option>";
    }
    $output[count($output)] = "</select><br><br>";
    $html = implode("", $output);

?

• [quote user="Dragnslcr"]

[quote user="Pap"]The benefit can be minimal, but then again so is the effort.  I think an actually significant speed optimization might be:

instead of

[/quote]

Actually, the second way might be the slower of the two. I've run some basic benchmarking, and many concatenations was actually slower than one double-quoted string. 

[/quote]
    I keep hearing this. Every time I've done benchmarking, there's been no difference.

What were your benchmarking standards? 

• [quote user="wing"][quote user="Dragnslcr"]

[quote user="Pap"]The benefit can be minimal, but then again so is the effort.  I think an actually significant speed optimization might be:

instead of

[/quote]

[/quote]
    I keep hearing this. Every time I've done benchmarking, there's been no difference.

[/quote]

Ignore the above, I've just re-run my benchmarking.

Serious differences.

Interpolation is 150% as lengthy 

• [quote user="masklinn"][quote user="Kazan"]

[quote user="Pap"]The real wtf is that the single quotes and double quotes are reversed everywhere but the echo " $pselected>x</option>"; line.  He's wasting as many as two cpu ticks per line![/quote]

--

{
    if ($pselected == $i)
    else
    }

[/quote]

Shouldn't you be using an array of strings and concatenate it at the end?

i don't think PHP strings are mutable, so your cat here is creating a few hundreds temporary strings.

Wouldn't that fare better:

$output = array();
    $output[0] = "Duration: <br><select name=\"duration\">";
    for($i=0; $i <= 400; $i++) {
    if($pselected == $i)
    $output[$i+1] = "<option selected value=\"$i\">$i</option>";
    else
    $output[$i+1] = "<option value=\"$i\">$i</option>";
    }
    $output[count($output)] = "</select><br><br>";
    $html = implode("", $output);

?

[/quote]

you array loop is naughty - you are explicitly using the indexes - that's unneccesary, and you are using count($output) - again unneccesary - just $output[] = 'foo' - the array loop and the .= loop work about the same.  

• [quote user="wing"][quote user="wing"]

I keep hearing this. Every time I've done benchmarking, there's been no difference.What

[/quote]

Ignore the above, I've just re-runbenchmarking.Serious

idifferences.Interpolation

tion is 150% as lengthy 

[/quote]

I tested it with a fairly large number of concatenations. I think it was about 12 total, using about 6 variables and 6 escape characters that don't work in single-quoted strings (\n, \t, etc.). Basically, 3 concatenations < 1 double-quoted string < 20 concatenations. Of course, the difference is pretty much negligible anyway; I think it was on the order of half a second for a million iterations. If anyone asks me which is better, I usually just say "whichever one you think is prettier".

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.