What is this "script" you speak of



  • My mom told me to look at my university's website. So I did.

    <div class="hpm">
    			<div class="slides">
    			
    			
    			<!--179 JSON parsing failure at character 1:'<' in <!-- AddThis Button Begin -->
    <InvalidTag type="text/javascript">var addthis_product = 'wpp-262';
    var addthis_config = {"data_track_clickback":true,"data_ga_property":"UA-2721612-26","data_ga_social":true,"data_track_addressbar":false};if (typeof(addthis_share) == "undefined"){ addthis_share = [];}</script><InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www5.uwm.edu:80//s7.addthis.com/js/250/addthis_widget.js#pubid=gwpinetree"></script>{"status":"ok","count":1,"pages":73,"category":{"id":21,"slug":"research","title":"Research","description":"","parent":15,"post_count":73},"posts":[{"id":10097,"type":"post","slug":"uwm-physicist-researches-new-gravity","url":"http:\/\/www5.uwm.edu\/news\/2014\/01\/10\/uwm-physicist-researches-new-gravity\/","status":"publish","title":"UWM physicist researches \u2018new gravity\u2019","title_plain":"UWM physicist researches \u2018new gravity\u2019","content":"<div id=\"attachment_10101\" style=\"width: 610px\" class=\"wp-caption aligncenter\"><a href=\"http:\/\/www5.uwm.edu\/news\/files...--> <!--211 JSON parsing failure at character 1:'<' in <!-- AddThis Button Begin -->
    <InvalidTag type="text/javascript">var addthis_product = 'wpp-262';
    var addthis_config = {"data_track_clickback":true,"data_ga_property":"UA-2721612-26","data_ga_social":true,"data_track_addressbar":false};if (typeof(addthis_share) == "undefined"){ addthis_share = [];}</script><InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www5.uwm.edu:80//s7.addthis.com/js/250/addthis_widget.js#pubid=gwpinetree"></script>{"status":"ok","count":1,"pages":85,"category":{"id":17,"slug":"community","title":"Impact","description":"","parent":15,"post_count":85},"posts":[{"id":10202,"type":"post","slug":"dance-department-celebrates-50th-anniversary-season","url":"http:\/\/www5.uwm.edu\/news\/2014\/01\/17\/dance-department-celebrates-50th-anniversary-season\/","status":"publish","title":"Dance Department celebrates 50th anniversary season","title_plain":"Dance Department celebrates 50th anniversary season","content":"<div id=\"attachment_10231\" style=\"width: 610px\" class=\"wp-caption aligncenter\"><a href=\...--> <!--243 JSON parsing failure at character 1:'<' in <!-- AddThis Button Begin -->
    <InvalidTag type="text/javascript">var addthis_product = 'wpp-262';
    var addthis_config = {"data_track_clickback":true,"data_ga_property":"UA-2721612-26","data_ga_social":true,"data_track_addressbar":false};if (typeof(addthis_share) == "undefined"){ addthis_share = [];}</script><InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www5.uwm.edu:80//s7.addthis.com/js/250/addthis_widget.js#pubid=gwpinetree"></script>{"status":"ok","count":1,"pages":74,"category":{"id":23,"slug":"academics","title":"Academics","description":"","parent":15,"post_count":74},"posts":[{"id":10195,"type":"post","slug":"autism-in-another-language-inspires-alumna","url":"http:\/\/www5.uwm.edu\/news\/2014\/01\/17\/autism-in-another-language-inspires-alumna\/","status":"publish","title":"Autism in another language inspires alumna","title_plain":"Autism in another language inspires alumna","content":"<div id=\"attachment_10198\" style=\"width: 610px\" class=\"wp-caption aligncenter\"><a href=\"http:\/\/www5.uwm.edu\/news\/fil...--> <!--274 JSON parsing failure at character 1:'<' in <!-- AddThis Button Begin -->
    <InvalidTag type="text/javascript">var addthis_product = 'wpp-262';
    var addthis_config = {"data_track_clickback":true,"data_ga_property":"UA-2721612-26","data_ga_social":true,"data_track_addressbar":false};if (typeof(addthis_share) == "undefined"){ addthis_share = [];}</script><InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www5.uwm.edu:80//s7.addthis.com/js/250/addthis_widget.js#pubid=gwpinetree"></script>{"status":"ok","count":1,"pages":108,"category":{"id":20,"slug":"pride","title":"Spirit","description":"","parent":15,"post_count":108},"posts":[{"id":10221,"type":"post","slug":"mlk-uwm","url":"http:\/\/www5.uwm.edu\/news\/2014\/01\/17\/mlk-uwm\/","status":"publish","title":"MLK @ UWM","title_plain":"MLK @ UWM","content":"<p><iframe src=\"\/\/www.youtube.com\/embed\/X8nd0fJwdCc\" height=\"450\" width=\"600\" allowfullscreen=\"\" frameborder=\"0\"><\/iframe><br \/>\nFootage of Martin Luther King speaking at UW-Milwaukee. He is seen first speaking to a sold out crowd in the Union Ballroo...-->
    

    And then the rest of the page is ignored because it's technically inside an iframe which won't be shown because browsers generally support iframes now.



  • I don't see the problem, seems like a standard university website to me.



  • It's one of those things Dilbert's mother would say to her son. You don't happen to be Dilbert, do you? Or his little brother?



  • You seriously have a 50-year-old Dance Department?

    Also, gotta love the resulting URLs:

    http://www4.uwm.edu/%22http:////www5.uwm.edu//news//files...--
    http://www4.uwm.edu/...--
    http://www4.uwm.edu/%22http:////www5.uwm.edu//news//fil...--

    Also also: "Autism in another language inspires alumna" - my inner parser has been broken by this sentence.



  • @Ben L. said:

    My mom told me to look at my university's website. So I did.

    <div class="hpm">
    			<div class="slides">
    			
    			
    			<!--179 JSON parsing failure at character 1:'<' in <!-- AddThis Button Begin -->
    <InvalidTag type="text/javascript">var addthis_product = 'wpp-262';

    Well OK, but she didn't [i]insist[/i] that you use lynx, did she?



  • @TGV said:

    It's one of those things Dilbert's mother would say to her son. You don't happen to be Dilbert, do you? Or his little brother?

    He is lumpy and potato shaped, which is how Scott Adams described Dilbert and engineers in general. Evidence is mounting...



  • @Maciejasjmj said:

    You seriously have a 50-year-old Dance Department?
    People didn't just start dancing recently. They've been doing it for a while. Maybe even way longer than 50 years.



  • @Website said:

    UWM physicist researches ‘new gravity’

    @article said:

    nothing about ‘new gravity’, whatever that is, just something about distant stars and general relativity

     

     The phrase 'new gravity' isn't actually used in the article at all.



  • @jakjawagon said:

    @Website said:

    UWM physicist researches ‘new gravity’

    @article said:

    nothing about ‘new gravity’, whatever that is, just something about distant stars and general relativity

     The phrase 'new gravity' isn't actually used in the article at all.

    So they have creative writing students doing headline things.  I don't see the issue as that is what newspapers and news websites have always done (except the students part I guess).



  • @El_Heffe said:

    @Maciejasjmj said:

    You seriously have a 50-year-old Dance Department?
    People didn't just start dancing recently. They've been doing it for a while. Maybe even way longer than 50 years.

    I know, it just struck me as odd that an university would house such a thing, let alone for 50 years. But it seems that you can, actually, <a href="http://www.temple.edu/gradbulletin/boyer/dance_phd.htm>get a PhD in dancing</a>. Huh.</p>


  • Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

    @Maciejasjmj said:

    @El_Heffe said:

    @Maciejasjmj said:

    You seriously have a 50-year-old Dance Department?
    People didn't just start dancing recently. They've been doing it for a while. Maybe even way longer than 50 years.

    I know, it just struck me as odd that an university would house such a thing, let alone for 50 years. But it seems that you can, actually, get a PhD in dancing. Huh.

    That's why they call me doctor *band hit, lights darken, disco ball† drops* DANCE.

    † I enrolled in the dance department when it first opened and received my disco doctorate 8 years later.



  • @Ben L. said:

    [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/ia5bYoJ.png[/IMG]
    I'm still trying to figure out how you managed to post code that not only doesn't wrap but also refuses to scroll horizontally.



  • @anotherusername said:

    @Ben L. said:
    I'm still trying to figure out how you managed to post code that not only doesn't wrap but also refuses to scroll horizontally.

    Closed, could not reproduce.



  • Everyone else missed this:
    @Ben L. said:

    <!--211 JSON parsing failure at character 1:'<' in <!-- AddThis Button Begin -->

    So there is an error in the javascript, which is intended to display the iframe I'd guess. So nothing happens.



  • @DrPepper said:

    Everyone else missed this:
    @Ben L. said:
    <!--211 JSON parsing failure at character 1:'<' in <!-- AddThis Button Begin -->

    So there is an error in the javascript, which is intended to display the iframe I'd guess. So nothing happens.


    But it's a serverside error. And it passes the context through to html without escaping it.



  • @Maciejasjmj said:

    @anotherusername said:
    I'm still trying to figure out how you managed to post code that not only doesn't wrap but also refuses to scroll horizontally.

    Closed, could not reproduce.

    My screenshot was taken viewing the post in Firefox with Greasemonkey and AdBlock Plus disabled to ensure that they weren't interfering.



  • @anotherusername said:

    @Maciejasjmj said:
    @anotherusername said:
    I'm still trying to figure out how you managed to post code that not only doesn't wrap but also refuses to scroll horizontally.

    Closed, could not reproduce.

    My screenshot was taken viewing the post in Firefox with Greasemonkey and AdBlock Plus disabled to ensure that they weren't interfering.

    What version of Firefox?



  • @Ben L. said:

    @anotherusername said:
    @Maciejasjmj said:
    @anotherusername said:
    I'm still trying to figure out how you managed to post code that not only doesn't wrap but also refuses to scroll horizontally.

    Closed, could not reproduce.

    My screenshot was taken viewing the post in Firefox with Greasemonkey and AdBlock Plus disabled to ensure that they weren't interfering.

    What version of Firefox?

    [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/HxJ7qJH.png[/IMG]

     

    Adding a white-space property of pre-wrap or pre-line lets it wrap, but white-space:pre doesn't.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.