Sharepoint



  • I have only minimal Sharepoint experience.  I see a lot of job ads that say stuff like, ".Net Developer with Sharepoint experience."  Is Sharepoint really so hard to learn that it needs to be listed as a primary required experience?  Or is it something any programmer could quickly pick up, like source control?



  • It depends on what kind of work that the job ad is for.  They could mean something like "with source control experience"; which again can mean very different things depending on the place.  At a normal shop that kind of line would be yes you can actually use source control (so here it's likely "we store our documentation there, know how to do that") but on the other hand if it was a shop that makes source control systems (or in the sharepoint stuff, plug ins that other companies buy) it would have a different meaning.



  •  So what's the most meaningless job requirement you've seen, in the sense that what they ask for could be referring to a ridonkulous number of different things that all have more or less the same name?

    I remember one phone pre-interview where I was asked if I'd ever done any "scripting".



  •  And what was your answer on that question?



  • @da Doctah said:

     So what's the most meaningless job requirement you've seen, in the sense that what they ask for could be referring to a ridonkulous number of different things that all have more or less the same name?

    I remember one phone pre-interview where I was asked if I'd ever done any "scripting".


    "Must be experienced with keyboards."

    "Must be experienced with video games."



  • My current employer asked (2 years ago), and still does, if I had ever used "grep" before.



  • @aapis said:

    My current employer asked (2 years ago), and still does, if I had ever used "grep" before.

    So it's taken over two years to ask you that question?



  • @aapis said:

    My current employer asked (2 years ago), and still does, if I had ever used "grep" before.
    Well?

    Don't keep us in suspense.  Have you?



  • @El_Heffe said:

    @aapis said:

    My current employer asked (2 years ago), and still does, if I had ever used "grep" before.
    Well?

    Don't keep us in suspense.  Have you?


    We'll know in Q4 2015.



  • The interior C++ routine loops: reads one of a series of 10 files, does stuff, writes a file.
    So when you're done, you should have 10 input files, and 10 corresponding output files.



  • @tharpa said:

    Is Sharepoint really so hard to learn that it needs to be listed as a primary required experience?
     

    SharePoint is quite a vast system. Think: source control, trac, forum, dropbox, gallery, blog and poll all rolled into one.

    @tharpa said:

    Or is it something any programmer could quickly pick up, like source control?

    Think of a young innocent PHP install getting gang-banged by LinkedIn, Flikr, MySpace, Facefook, Twatter, Google,Wordpress, Drupal and Joomla. Imagine what the bastard offspring is like.

    Do you think any nursery school counsellor would be able to assess behavioural patterns quickly?

    One problem with programmers is that they approach SharePoint as someone's pre-built .net codebase and start creating unholy unmaintainable hacks to drop into SP which then become isolated from the usual SP controls - and their lack of knowledge about SP's capabilities means they've also wasted a large amount of developer effort upon designing a circular rotating transportation solution.

    If anything, developers should treat SP as a tool to use and not as codebase to modify and maintain.



  •  Thanks Cassidy.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.