1. ronin is the new snoofle!!!

And Ronald is the new Blakeyrat.

• Considered Harmful

@operagost said:

@DrPepper said:

My thoughts, in the order they were generated:

1. ronin is the new snoofle!!!

And Ronald is the new Blakeyrat.

Oh! Oh! Can I audition for new Morbiuswilters?

• @TDWTF123 said:

What's the weather like up there in your ivory tower? Down here on the ground, the weather looks a lot like Excel again today.

You clearly haven't stepped down from your tower into the world of real work in a very long time, or you'd realise how daft it is to suggest anyone would update the kind of data we're talking about using a terminal session.

You certainly know what you're talking about. I'm sure your career in data entry will be fabulous.

• @Faxmachinen said:

You certainly know what you're talking about. I'm sure your career in data entry will be fabulous.
    I don't know about fabulous, because there were no my little ponies about, but the last data entry project I consulted on, I was charging them five hundred quid a day. So they evidently thought I knew what I was talking about.

The fact remains that we haven't had a single explanation as to why Excel wasn't suitable, other than those which incorrectly insist that Excel does not have all the functions already built in to make the job trivial.

• @TDWTF123 said:

The fact remains that we haven't had a single explanation as to why Excel wasn't suitable, other than those which incorrectly insist that Excel does not have all the functions already built in to make the job trivial.

@Snooder said:

Bullshit. Go back and read the OP. OP's company has data stored in a database somewhere. They need to get that data out to another company. That other company helpfully has a webservice API. Where the fuck does excel even come into the scenario? Why would anyone even THINK about using excel to do this?

And how would using excel as a middle layer from the database to the other company have any savings whatsoever? They'd still have to learn the webservice API and figure out any integration issues. Just now you've added a layer of excel quirks to the process.

• ♿ (Parody)

@TDWTF123 said:

The fact remains that we haven't had a single explanation as to why Excel wasn't suitable, other than those which incorrectly insist that Excel does not have all the functions already built in to make the job trivial. FIRE DOES NOT MELT STEEL

FTFY

• Considered Harmful

@TDWTF123 said:

I don't know about fabulous, because there were no my little ponies about, but the last data entry project I consulted on, I was charging them five hundred quid a day.

Oh! You're the Highly Paid Consultant! We've heard so much about you!

• @joe.edwards said:

@TDWTF123 said:
    I don't know about fabulous, because there were no my little ponies about, but the last data entry project I consulted on, I was charging them five hundred quid a day.

I dunno, that comes out to something like $781.15 US per day.  So a little less than $100 per hour (assuming 8 hour days) which is pretty much the standard rate.

• @billhead said:

@TDWTF123 said:

@Snooder said:

Bullshit. Go back and read the OP. OP's company has data stored in a
    database somewhere. They need to get that data out to another company.
    That other company helpfully has a webservice API. Where the fuck does
    excel even come into the scenario? Why would anyone even THINK about
    using excel to do this?

And how would using excel as a middle
    layer from the database to the other company have any savings
    whatsoever? They'd still have to learn the webservice API and figure out
    any integration issues. Just now you've added a layer of excel quirks
    to the process.

Yes, thanks for providing one of the many examples of that. For some reason, you left out the stupidest bit, though:

@Snooder said:

The problem here is that it was ALWAYS going to be a major programming task.

• @joe.edwards said:

@TDWTF123 said:

No, I haven't been that since shortly after I left school. These days I charge less than I know, instead of the other way around. I didn't mean to imply that was a particularly high rate for a data entry consultant; I was just trying to point out that data entry is an extremely lucrative field. If you're the guy setting up the systems and processes that dictate how millions of man hours of data entry droning will be done, being able to increase productivity by just 1% is very valuable. At current UK minimum wage rates, that'll cost around £7 per hour. For a million hours, that's a £70k saving - and a million hours isn't a particularly large project.

• Considered Harmful

@locallunatic said:

@joe.edwards said:

@TDWTF123 said:

I dunno, that comes out to something like $781.15 US per day.  So a little less than $100 per hour (assuming 8 hour days) which is pretty much the standard rate.

I assumed he was working 1 and 2 hour days like a real HPC.

• @TDWTF123 said:

I'm beginning to wonder about the veracity of these replies given the irony of posting them in a thread with this title.

• @ronin said:

Yesterday one of our IT project managers told me the following story:

Our corporate top management had done a strategically super-important and highly profitable deal with the provider of an internet selling platform, allowing us to distribute our products over their service.
    For this purpose, we had to provide our new business partner with daily updated product descriptions and pricing data.

Only read this much and the first thing that springs to mind is "You can do this in Excel".

• @TDWTF123 said:

The important question is: what functions does Excel have that (say) Python, Ruby, Java or PHP don't have and make the job trivial?

• @TDWTF123 said:

The fact remains that we haven't had a single explanation as to why Excel wasn't suitable
    It's in the OP: @ronin said:
    the concept involved a bunch of Excel sheets that
    would have to be exchanged between us and the other company, and regularly merged and maintained on either side - altogether a very cumbersome and error-prone semi-manual process.
     [quote
    user="ronin"]the other company already had a powerful, well-tested web-service API[/quote]

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@El_Heffe said:

It's in the OP
    We've already established that TDWTF123 doesn't read the OP, or at least not more than approximately one word in 17. Unfortunately, that word was “Excel” and he immediately grabbed the wrong end of the punji-stick and ran with it.

• @El_Heffe said:

@TDWTF123 said:
    The fact remains that we haven't had a single explanation as to why Excel wasn't suitable
    It's in the OP: @ronin said:
    the concept involved a bunch of Excel sheets that
    would have to be exchanged between us and the other company, and regularly merged and maintained on either side - altogether a very cumbersome and error-prone semi-manual process.
     [quote
    user="ronin"]the other company already had a powerful, well-tested web-service API
    [/quote]Except what I actually said was:
    @TDWTF123 said:

So we're still short an explanation which takes the facts into account. As has now been explained dozens of times.

• ♿ (Parody)

@TDWTF123 said:

Except what I actually said was:
    @TDWTF123 said:

So we're still short an explanation which takes the facts into account. As has now been explained dozens of times.

Yeah, and you also left out your fantasies about how Excel is already an integral part of their workflow regarding the data of interest. And how your idea about the implementation was no less beyond the pale for the PHB than the OP's colleague's implementation. Because I like repeating myself in slightly different ways (consequence of being a parent, I guess): you're making the wrong argument and missing the point. Also, begging the question about Excel making the job trivial, since you don't really know enough about the rest of what's going on there.

Maybe you could arrange a showdown.

• "Your business analysts and managers were too pre-occupied with whether or not they could use Excel to transfer data between two CRM platforms that they didn't stop and think if they should" *pounds table*

•  Excel, for many reasons, is a totally inappropriate mechanism for transferring data in this way.  This is just a fact of life.  Excel 'interferes' with data.  It changes data, based on rules which can or will change.  Excel transfers of this type will be based on ill trained low level frequently replaced clueless monkeys lashing crap together on a poorly (if at all) documented process, which they will ignore anyway. 

If you really don't fucking understand this, and think that an effective protocol for information exchange has no value - and it's "easier" to be clueless and sloppy, then I wish you luck in your next, more appropriate, career move. 

And no, don't supersize me, and I don't want fries with that.

• ♿ (Parody)

@Scumspawn said:

I'll have his fries. Can I get chili and cheese on them?

• @Scumspawn said:

Excel 'interferes' with data.  It changes data, based on rules which can or will change.  Excel transfers of this type will be based on ill trained low level frequently replaced clueless monkeys lashing crap together on a poorly (if at all) documented process, which they will ignore anyway. 

If you really don't fucking understand this, and think that an effective protocol for information exchange has no value - and it's "easier" to be clueless and sloppy, then I wish you luck in your next, more appropriate, career move. 

You did not read (or cared to ponder) what other people explained about Excel as a data manipulation client. You only listen to your lack of experience and obviously shallow and obsolete knowledge of what Excel used to be. So to think that anyone gives a shit about your opinion regarding careers is a bit ambitious.

I've read 20% of your opus on this forum and that's a sample big enough for me to know that you suck.

• @boomzilla said:

@Scumspawn said:

I'll have his fries. Can I get chili and cheese on them?

FRIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEES