Filesystem says what?

• @morbiuswilters said:

@Ben L. said:
    @electronerd said:
    @flabdablet said:
    I regularly create shortcuts (.lnk files) with a leading space

Really? I thought leading spaces were one of the disallowed things. Trailing spaces definitely are. Oh well, I mostly use the \\?\ incantation for long file names.

Why can't I make a file that has spaces where I want them? If I want to make a file with three colons and a less than sign followed by two spaces, I SHOULD BE ABLE TO DO THAT.

At least linux allows you to make a file named if you want to. That's like a basic human right.

Linux is a bad example of file systems with sane policies concerning file names.

How is "let the user do whatever the fuck he wants to to his own computer" not a sane policy?

• @Ben L. said:

How is "let the user do whatever the fuck he wants to to his own computer" not a sane policy?

Well, when it lets you create a file name that can contain malware, that's a bit of a problem. Then there's the fact that all sorts of file names (like those that begin with a dash, or those that contain control characters) can royally fuck up shell scripts. There's no standard encoding for Linux file names, so it just uses whatever-the-fuck locale the file was created on.

So, yeah, "let the user do whatever the fuck he wants to his own computer" is a bad idea when the user (or helpful malware he happened to get a hold of) is able to nut-punch the computer.

• @Ben L. said:

You're a naughty little cake faced troll and you should be ashamed of yourself.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@Ben L. said:

Well, when it lets you create a file name that can contain malware, that's a bit of a problem. Then there's the fact that all sorts of file names (like those that begin with a dash, or those that contain control characters) can royally fuck up shell scripts. There's no standard encoding for Linux file names, so it just uses whatever-the-fuck locale the file was created on.

So, yeah, "let the user do whatever the fuck he wants to his own computer" is a bad idea when the user (or helpful malware he happened to get a hold of) is able to nut-punch the computer.

Versus Windows, where that's still the case, but the OS punches you in the dick if you try to delete the file.

• @Ben L. said:

Versus Windows, where that's still the case, but the OS punches you in the dick if you try to delete the file.

Since when does Windows let you put any control character in a file name? Shit, since when in Windows is it unsafe to print file names, lest one contain characters that fuck up the system? Sure, with Windows you can occasionally run into a problem with a badly-named file, but Linux is fucking built on that shit. There are literally more bad design decisions in how Linux deals with file names than good ones.

• So much genital punching.

So much.

• Ah, CAD software.  We used to use a package called ArtiosCad way back in the windows 95 days.  It was a parametric cad program specifically designed for packaging design (corrugate/card-board) and interfaced with a Kongsberg (sp?) cutting table with interchangeable heads and a print head.

The software allowed defining distance, angles, and repetitions as variables allowing you to create one design template (for a display stand, for example) and re-purpose the design by changing a few variables. A properly thought out initial template could significantly reduce the amount of work a structural designer had to perform.  The software also allowed defining of specific lines as either cuts, perforations or score lines and could display the flat design template as a 3-D model you could manipulate (fold) virtually allowing you to test a concept without cutting a single sample. You could also import artwork (jpegs/gifs) and texture the designs, thus creating 3-D virtual mock-ups.

I remember a salesrep bringing in dozens of replacement headlights (in their rather unique packaging).  The expectation was that we would unfold each package and lay out the cad drawing for each one from static measurements taken from the samples.  But I out smarted them and created one parametric design by comparing the smallest, largest and one of the middle headlights.  I was then able to take 3 measurements from each individual headlight and generate the appropriate package rather than taking dozens of measurements from each package. What was projected as a 2 week project turned into 2 days, including laying out all of the designs into two cutting templates for the kongsberg and producing samples of each in e-flute stock.

Oh, I miss those days.....

• @Medezark said:

What was projected as a 2 week project turned into 2 days, including laying out all of the designs into two cutting templates for the kongsberg and producing samples of each in e-flute stock.

Why don't we have more of these stories? The ones where automation actually automates and save ridiculous amounts of time?

• @dhromed said:

Why don't we have more of these stories? The ones where automation actually automates and save ridiculous amounts of time?

People don't come here to read that sort of thing. They want to feel that there are people who have to put up with worse shit than they do...

• @dhromed said:

Why don't we have more of these stories?

This is not the Daily WorksAsIntended.

Try the next tab in your browser. Move along.

• @dhromed said:

@Medezark said:

What was projected as a 2 week project turned into 2 days, including laying out all of the designs into two cutting templates for the kongsberg and producing samples of each in e-flute stock.

It's not always a good thing. I used to work for a consulting firm where at the beginning of every assignment we were told what was the minimum time we should take to solve a problem so the airplane tickets would not eat all the profit.

•  An chronically undercharging consulting firm? That's new.

• @dhromed said:

An chronically undercharging consulting firm? That's new.

I don't think you understand. We were told not to come back before X numbers of days no matter what. The longer we stayed, the better. That's the opposite of undercharging.

• @Ronald said:

I don't think you understand. We were told not to come back before X numbers of days no matter what. The longer we stayed, the better. That's the opposite of undercharging.

Oh, since you mentioned costs, I assumed your hourly rate was too low to sustain yourself, and therefore had to fake more hours.

But your company was charging normal rates and faking hours? That's low.