Firefox for Android

• Considered Harmful

@DaveK said:

The full version is "I before E, except after C, or when sounding as A, as in 'neighbour' or 'weigh'."

Oh, you mean like I wrote in my tags?

• @joe.edwards said:

There is an omitted clause in the false adage about "except after C" he was presumably disproving.

I never got this criticism. Who needs "rules" to tell them how to spell? Don't you just know how to spell it after seeing it a few times? Sometimes you may need to consult a dictionary, but I've never found it hard to pick up spellings. In fact, I always found the "rules" like "I before E" to be more confusing than helpful, since clearly wrong in so many cases.

• sekret PM club

@MiffTheFox said:

Eh, better then setting an alarm on my Nexus 7. I put Cyanogenmod on it and now trying to open the alarm settings causes Clock to force close.

I ran into this issue when I flashed ParanoidAndroid on my Galaxy Nexus. Turns out, if you try to restore clock settings (with Titanium or something similar), the data ends up in a state that the app can't read and it causes a force-close whenever something tries to access it.

Go into your Settings > Applications and wipe data for the Clock application. You'll lose all your saved alarms, but the clock should work normally after that.

• @DaveK said:

The full version is "I before E, except after C, or when sounding as A, as in 'neighbour' or 'weigh'."

But it should really be "I before E, except after C, or when sounding as A, as in 'neighbour' or 'weigh', or in several other random cases."

I before E except after C
    Except as in "ey" as in neighbor and weigh
    Or from a language where this never appeared
    Or in one of those words that is just plain weird.

• ♿ (Parody)

@e4tmyl33t said:

I ran into this issue when I flashed ParanoidAndroid on my Galaxy Nexus. Turns out, if you try to restore clock settings (with Titanium or something similar), the data ends up in a state that the app can't read and it causes a force-close whenever something tries to access it.

And that fixes the spell checker's 'i's and 'e's?

• @e4tmyl33t said:

[quote user="MiffTheFox"]

Eh, better then setting an alarm on my Nexus 7. I put Cyanogenmod on it and now trying to open the alarm settings causes Clock to force close.

Go into your Settings > Applications and wipe data for the Clock application. You'll lose all your saved alarms, but the clock should work normally after that.

[/quote]

Oh my god. I got legit tech support advice from TDWTF. I must have accidentally entered a parallel reality.

• @morbiuswilters said:

To whoever made the date selector widget on Android:

Thank you so much for destroying the usability of what should be a very simple interaction.

The easiness of setting an alarm's time on my phone is such that I currently have the following alarms set, all of them off:

• 00:00
    • 00:30
    • 01:18
    • 06:13
    • 06:23 [mon, tue, wed, thu, fri]
    • 06:40 [mon, tue, wed, thu, fri]
    • 07:17
    • 07:21 [sat, sun]
    • 07:23 [mon, tue, wed, thu, fri]
    • 07:40 [mon, tue, wed, thu, fri]
    • 07:40
    • 08:21 [sat, sun]
    • 09:00
    • 09:30
    • 10:25
    • 11:30
    • 13:40
    • 16:38
    • 17:01
    • 17:36
    • 17:52
    • 18:39
    • 19:15 [everyday]
    • 19:23
    • 19:45 [everyday]
    • 20:45
    • 21:24
    • 21:30 [everyday]
    • 23:40 [mon, tue, wed, thu, fri, sun]

Come next sunday, my week-long vacation will end and I'll turn back on the ones at 7:23 and 7:40, monday to friday. The others remain off, awaiting a future opportunity of being recycled.

By the way: I can't be arsed to install another alarm application, but I hate the one that came with the phone because:

• It unlocks the phone so, very often, just in the act of trying to pick up the phone, I press "snooze" before I'm able to press "turn off";
    • It leaves the phone unlocked after I press either button, so if I'm still in the process of picking up the phone, I may very well be pressing random stuff on screen and sending my boss a picture of his naked barely legal daughter, for all I know;
    • I can't turn off screen rotation for just this app, and the transition angle seems to have been perfectly calibrated to the angle at which I look at the phone as I pick it up from the nightstand. I suppose this could be considered a feature: it's testing me, seeing if I'm awake enough to realize I pressed the snooze button by mistake, again. (I always wake up the first time around, I don't need the snooze button for anything)

Of course, this is just part of my general clumsiness with modern phones. I also keep disconnecting, suspending or silencing calls with my ears. Stupid touchscreens.

Oh right, I almost forgot... the hours don't change when I scroll the minutes. And the time for a new alarm defaults to the current time, not midnight. I don't use the calendar app though, so I don't know about that.

• @Zecc said:

It unlocks the phone, so very often, just in the act of trying to pick up the phone, I press "snooze" before I'm able to press "turn off";

I have the opposite problem: I'm aiming for snooze a lot and turn it off accidentally. As you can imagine, that leads to waking up 30 minutes later in a panic.

@Zecc said:

It leaves the phone unlocked after I press either button, so if I'm still in the process of picking up the phone, I may very well be pressing random stuff on screen and sending my boss a picture of his naked barely legal daughter Ben L, for all I know;

FTFY. You know it's true.

@Zecc said:

Of course, this is just part of my general clumsiness with modern phones. I also keep disconnecting, suspending or silencing calls with my ears. Stupid touchscreens.

Yeah, I do that, too. I hate touchscreens. A lot of times I will drop it and as I catch it I hit something on the screen and make it do crazy shit like installing apps I've never heard of.

• sekret PM club

@MiffTheFox said:

@e4tmyl33t said:

@MiffTheFox said:

Oh my god. I got legit tech support advice from TDWTF. I must have accidentally entered a parallel reality.

As odd as the legit advice may be, I remember spending DAYS trying to track down that little problem until I stumbled across that solution buried 130-odd pages into what I believe was an XDA thread on a completely different ROM that happened to mention it. I figured I'd save someone else the annoyance.

Now back to your regularly scheduled wankfest discussion purple dildos.