Firefox Cache

• @ender said:

Though why'd you use webmail except when not on one of your own computers, I have no idea.

I prefer webmail. Of course, I use Gmail, so there's really no reason to use anything but the web interface. I also use Outlook 365 which is.. Gmail is better.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@MiffTheFox said:

Thunderbird is an okay desktop email client, but until there's a FOSS webmail client so I'm not shackled to a single PC, I'm sticking with Gmail.
    "FOSS webmail client"? You mean a browser? (There are also FOSS solutions for the server side of webmail, though Gmail is slicker.)

More seriously, using Thunderbird doesn't mean that you have to download all messages to the machine where you are running it. Provided your mailbox is available via IMAP, you can keep everything on the server (up to whatever quota you've got). I've been doing this for years. You can then even switch clients and everything will still work. If your email provider only does POP and a webmail interface, that's just a sucky provider.

• @dkf said:

@MiffTheFox said:
    Thunderbird is an okay desktop email client, but until there's a FOSS webmail client so I'm not shackled to a single PC, I'm sticking with Gmail.
    "FOSS webmail client"? You mean a browser? (There are also FOSS solutions for the server side of webmail, though Gmail is slicker.)

More seriously, using Thunderbird doesn't mean that you have to download all messages to the machine where you are running it. Provided your mailbox is available via IMAP, you can keep everything on the server (up to whatever quota you've got). I've been doing this for years. You can then even switch clients and everything will still work. If your email provider only does POP and a webmail interface, that's just a sucky provider.

Most POP clients should have an option to not delete messages from the server, too.

• @ender said:

@MiffTheFox said:
    Roundcube? Though why'd you use webmail except when not on one of your own computers, I have no idea.

Yeah, Roundcube was the kind of software I was talking about. I have three computers I use regularly (home pc, laptop, work pc) and I don't want to repeatedly get the same "new" message on each of them.

• @MiffTheFox said:

Yeah, Roundcube was the kind of software I was talking about. I have three computers I use regularly (home pc, laptop, work pc) and I don't want to repeatedly get the same "new" message on each of them.
    I know it was already suggested, but let me do it one more time: use IMAP instead of POP3.

• @flabdablet said:

If I use a piece of OSS software that doesn't meet my needs, I go and buy something commercial with a nice GUI interface, after visiting the automatic ATM machine and entering my personal PIN number.
    fixed that FTFY

• @morbiuswilters said:

@dkf said:
    @MiffTheFox said:

Most POP clients should have an option to not delete messages from the server, too.

Yes, Thunderbird does that.  There's even an option to leave messages on the server for xx number of days before deleting them.

• @morbiuswilters said:

I also use Outlook 365 which is.. Gmail is better.

Office365 is a blessing when dealing with sub-par users. It's possible to setup retention rules so when an Outlook-challenged user deletes all his email and empty his deleted items folder "by mistake" they can always recover everything without even calling IT (in Outlook webmail they just right-click on deleted items and start the "recover deleted items" wizard).

For a business Gmail is nowhere near that. They don't even do backup that you can tap into; when you ask for this service they simply suggest a third-party offsite backup provider.

• @Ronald said:

@morbiuswilters said:
    I also use Outlook 365 which is.. Gmail is better.

Office365 is a blessing when dealing with sub-par users. It's possible to setup retention rules so when an Outlook-challenged user deletes all his email and empty his deleted items folder "by mistake" they can always recover everything without even calling IT (in Outlook webmail they just right-click on deleted items and start the "recover deleted items" wizard).

For a business Gmail is nowhere near that. They don't even do backup that you can tap into; when you ask for this service they simply suggest a third-party offsite backup provider.

I don't have a problem with hosted Exchange, but Outlook Web Access is an unbelievably shitty webmail client. It looks pretty, but is busted-ass-broken. Still, it's probably better than Yahoo! Mail, although certainly less than Gmail.