"developer day"



  • So our company is doing this thing called developer day, pulling me away from the normal work I badly need to complete (ironically a week behind due to the awful REST API created by our developers). My boss is basically forcing me into it.

    Apparently what you do is get into a conference room and group-up or pair-up and come up with some simple project you can complete in just 8 hours of work, then at the end of the day each project is demoed. Since nobody's bothered to actually *explain* developer day to me, I assume this is what happens, but who knows.

    So I need to come up with a project:
    1) I can complete in about 8 hours (I'll have a single helper.)
    2) Uses one of the following sources of data:
    * Web analytics data fetched from the REST API, aggregate or trended, date range selection, etc
    * Streaming web analytics data, non-aggregated
    * Twitter/Facebook APIs (although I'm rusty on these)
    * None, if it's interesting enough

    What I'd like to produce is something visual that will impress people when we show it off. I have experience with the D3.js library for creating visualizations from data, so I might be able to make use of that. I also have a world map in SVG with every country individually addressable, and a JS function to find the pixel location for a latitude/longitude. (All the data sources mentioned above contain some geo data, except in Twitter's case it's blank 95% of the time.)

    Anybody have any ideas for projects I could work on?



  • Wallposts per country as a bar on top of the country. Split by "has picture", "text only, "has link"or whatever property of a wall post you can creatively come up with. I don't know if that's actually possible, but it's Usage Data and therefore useful.

     

    Make each bar look like a penis, but make it subtle so that people will be unsure and afraid to mention it.



  • @dhromed said:

    Make each bar look like a penis, but make it subtle so that people will be unsure and afraid to mention it.

    Alternatively, make it so graphically overt that people are afraid to mention it.



  • You know those people who seem to live on Twitter? For example, someone who has tweeted...just throwing a number out there...28,300+ tweets.

    I want to know when they sleep/eat/etc. Judging by a person's tweet history, can you tell their habits?  Not content, just volume.



  • @Mark Bowytz said:

    You know those people who seem to live on Twitter? For example, someone who has tweeted...just throwing a number out there...28,300+ tweets.

    I want to know when they sleep/eat/etc. Judging by a person's tweet history, can you tell their habits? Not content, just volume.

    That's an interesting idea.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    What I'd like to produce is something visual that will impress people when we show it off.
     

    Combine two sources of data to create a psuedo-imaginary number and generate some fractal from it.

    Won't mean anything, but it'll be colourful and allows you to piss about with some number-crunching.

    It could be possible to spot trends form the resulting image (where one value influences the other) but I'm not holding out much hope.



  • Check "Give Me My Data" app on facebook.

    Generate some chart from it and you'll be knowledged as company's hero.



  • Not a bad idea, I never heard of that before.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    Not a bad idea, I never heard of that before.

    You can have data in different formats, XML, JSON, CSV, PLAIN TEXT.
    Quick and dirty!

    If you write to author, he will provide source code also.



  • @Nagesh said:

    Check "Give Me My Data" app on facebook.

    Generate some chart from it and you'll be knowledged as company's hero.

    Especially if you find a way to trick users into submitting their downloaded Facebook data to your app, which then monetizes the crap out of it



  • @ekolis said:

    @Nagesh said:
    Check "Give Me My Data" app on facebook.

    Generate some chart from it and you'll be knowledged as company's hero.

    Especially if you find a way to trick users into submitting their downloaded Facebook data to your app, which then monetizes the crap out of it

    Do you believe givemydata app is doing that same thing?



  • @blakeyrat said:

    So our company is doing this thing called developer day, pulling me away from the normal work I badly need to complete (ironically a week behind due to the awful REST API created by our developers). My boss is basically forcing me into it.

    Apparently what you do is get into a conference room and group-up or pair-up and come up with some simple project you can complete in just 8 hours of work, then at the end of the day each project is demoed. Since nobody's bothered to actually *explain* developer day to me, I assume this is what happens, but who knows.

    So I need to come up with a project:
    1) I can complete in about 8 hours (I'll have a single helper.)
    2) Uses one of the following sources of data:
    * Web analytics data fetched from the REST API, aggregate or trended, date range selection, etc
    * Streaming web analytics data, non-aggregated
    * Twitter/Facebook APIs (although I'm rusty on these)
    * None, if it's interesting enough

    What I'd like to produce is something visual that will impress people when we show it off. I have experience with the D3.js library for creating visualizations from data, so I might be able to make use of that. I also have a world map in SVG with every country individually addressable, and a JS function to find the pixel location for a latitude/longitude. (All the data sources mentioned above contain some geo data, except in Twitter's case it's blank 95% of the time.)

    Anybody have any ideas for projects I could work on?

    Is there any possibility of doing something that doesn't involve the Internet, or is that just a stupid question?


  • Timely. You're only a week late.

    @bridget99 said:

    Is there any possibility of doing something that doesn't involve the Internet, or is that just a stupid question?

    Well since it's a web company making products for web sites... not really. I mean, we have like multivariate tools that could be applied to desktop or mobile apps I suppose, or you could always write a desktop app or service to chug through data in some way (but it would have to go to the web to present it). So not really.



  •  birdget99,
    are you person of india origin by any chance?


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.