Adobe installed an update...

•  @nonpartisan said:

@boomzilla said:

I know that Windows guys hate the whole distro vs "Linux is just a kernel thing", but when you're comparing an installation of Linux vs Windows, the distro (e.g., RedHat, Debian, Slackware) is pretty important.
    Absolutely true, which is why in some of my posts I took to saying "Linux distribution" instead of just Linux.

Some time ago, one of our UNIX guys came to me complaining about how Linux is "all supposed to be the same", but that different distributions put files in different places.  I told him that it's akin to saying you administer UNIX, but it depends on what implementation.  HP-UX, Solaris, SCO OpenServer, etc. all do things differently and put thing in different places, yet they are all UNIX.  The only commonality between all Linux distributions is simply that they use the Linux kernel as a base, nothing more.

[img]http://i.qkme.me/356f74.jpg[/img]

• @powerlord said:

The only commonality between all Linux distributions is simply that they use the Linux kernel as a base, nothing more.

Not even that.

Debian publishes variants with FreeBSD or GNU Hurd kernels instead of the Linux kernel, but Debian has been a major Linux distro for long enough that insisting on calling it anything else will get you a reputation as a pedantic dickweed.

Disagreements on where to draw the boundary between OS and application software generate more heat than light. Personally I try not to waste my time insisting that the categories I prefer to use are the only ones that should ever be used.

• @ASheridan said:

@blakeyrat said:
    Of course it also fixes all the problems of file-based settings as well, as Raymond points out in this article I link to every time the Registery comes up and yet Linux users always come back a day later and go "derp what's with the Registry!? Derp derp!" Linux settings files still suffer from all the problems of the .ini column
    Well, not gonna bite; it's an intentionally joke page and it's not applicable on a lot of points with regards to Linux.
    No, it's not a "joke" page. He does have a pretty good sense of humour and does often present thngs in a somewhat humourous manner, but the information presented is very solid.  He is someone who really knows what he is talking about.  All of his criticisms of ".ini"  files are vaild and accurate, although I think one of the problems with the registry in Windows is that it is abused by programmers who cram in all sorts of shit that shouldn't be there.

• ♿ (Parody)

Whatever else happened, at least the OP didn't declare a fatwa:

@The People's Cube said:

"Their insinuation that our system may be somehow 'riddled with bugs' is a blasphemy punishable by death," Minister Ghulam Ahmad Balor told the reporters. "How else, if not by killing people, can we demonstrate to the world that our system cannot be improved because it is already perfect? It was designed by Prophet Mohammed (PBUH), and no Adobe Updater can ever update that."

Following his announcement, a peaceful but angry crowd of more than 1,500 people, including women and children, marched through Islamabad's streets towards National Circus, where they rounded up and killed more than 20 local acrobats taking refuge inside the building. Police and witnesses said dozens of clowns and other circus workers were injured.

• @Mason Wheeler said:

Solved in Windows 2000?  Are you trying to troll me, or are you seriously just that ignorant?  Do you have any idea how many WinXP systems I had to rebuild for friends and family members due to the Registry getting b0rked beyond repair?
    How many of those friends were overclocking their systems? Because the only registry corruptions I've seen in the last 10 years were the result of bad memory, dying hard drive, or somebody pushing the limits of their system too far.
    @nonpartisan said:
    The applications need to be written to honor what Group Policy is sending out.
    As long as a program uses the registry, you can control it using Group Policy. Sure, it's better if it's written to specifically look in the Policies key, but even if it doesn't, you can still change it's settings.
    @nonpartisan said:
    Yes, they're XML, but they're still easier to deal with than the binary blob that is the Registry.
    I prefer to use a system where I can't screw up the whole config by a single mistyped character (I also maintain that XML files are just barely human-readable - certainly not easier to edit than Registry).
    @flabdablet said:
    One consequence of this is that DLL files in use by any running process simply cannot be replaced.
    Actually, on NT, you can rename executables and DLLs that are currently running - you just can't delete them.