Superannuation with "First State Super"? Beware.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

When Patrick Webster told First State Super he found a flaw exposing the personal details of its 770,000 members - including NSW Police officers, politicians and magistrates - he thought he was doing a good deed.

Guess what happened next. Did they

1. to send a lifetime supply of beer to the person reporting the flaw
    2. sack the IT security staff
    3. set the lawyers/cops on the guy who informed them of the gaping hole in their "security".

No prizes for getting the right answer.

• NSW = New South Wales?

I'm going to guess:
    4. Sheep "companionship"

• @blakeyrat said:

NSW = New South Wales?

That's the first thing to come up with "australia nsw" in google and the site has an AU TLD so I'm assuming so.

• From the article it sounds as if the company is mainly concerned about trying to make sure the guy isn't hanging onto copies of the other customers' data - which is fair enough; they have a duty of care to do that. It just seems like they've gone about it in a rather ham-fisted and counterproductive way (and disabling his account shouldn't have been necessary). I'd guess that nobody bothered to explain to the legal section that Webster wasn't necessarily a bad guy (or the legal section didn't bother to read that far down the email chain), and they just did the standard process.

• @blakeyrat said:

4. Sheep "companionship"

Wrong country. NZ and AU are often confused by you people.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.