Pre-employment drug screening.

• ♿ (Parody)

@serguey123 said:

I find hard to believe that if I give weapons to a dictator, that guy is not going to use them to opress and kill the people of his country, perhaps I'm naive.

True. Often you wish that both sides could lose.

@serguey123 said:

However I think that by now the US should have learned that giving weapons and training to sociopaths is sooner or later going come back to bite them in the ass

I think they probably did know this, but were worried about bigger sociopaths.

• @boomzilla said:

Often you wish that both sides could lose.

That rarely happens.  They should pick another method or not meddle at all, sometimes that is for the better.

@boomzilla said:

The tag of my previous post apply perfectly to that.  In the real world there is no reload, actions have consecuences, even those that were good intentioned, so either make sure to put a bullet in said sociopath the minute you are done with it or don't meddle with it because it can go really bad.  Anyhow armed conflicts are not very efficient at producing democracy, at least in my opinion

• @serguey123 said:

But what if you are a programmer and a long haul trucker?  Nerd road rage would be awesome to watch
    A nerd raging in the REAL world...  Hey, there's a first for everything, right?

• ♿ (Parody)

@serguey123 said:

@boomzilla said:

The tag of my previous post apply perfectly to that.

Uh, I don't see how any of your tags apply to that at all. Disappearing people is pretty terrible, but nothing like a nuclear holocaust or World War.

@serguey123 said:

In the real world there is no reload, actions have consecuences, even those that were good intentioned, so either make sure to put a bullet in said sociopath the minute you are done with it or don't meddle with it because it can go really bad.

Yes, I think the no do-over nature of nature was a big reason why the meddling was done. Lesser of two evils and all that. Anyways, hemispheric meddling has been an official US Government policy for almost 200 years!

@serguey123 said:

Anyhow armed conflicts are not very efficient at producing democracy, at least in my opinion

They worked for us!

• @serguey123 said:

But what if you are a programmer and a long haul trucker?
    You've obviously never met an example of the latter.  Ever see Squidbillies?  The theme song reminds me of the typical truck driver:

Somehow I got spinal meningitis

From injecting all that hairspray in my spine

It's a super-cheep way to party

If you want to kill some brain cells and some time

Good luck gettin' that child support check from me now!

• @boomzilla said:

Uh, I don't see how any of your tags apply to that at all. Disappearing people is pretty terrible, but nothing like a nuclear holocaust or World War.

It applies in the sense that you are comparing what might have happened to what actually happened, maybe we were saved from a nuclear holocaust, maybe we weren't, I personally doubt Kruschev would have give Castro control of the missiles, as he was a treated like a puppet and ignored, and the Soviet Union at the time could of course obliterate any target they wanted with ICBMs.  What actually happened is that a lot of people dissapeared, dissapearing often meaning getting trowed at sea to become shark food.  So if we take that into account as I said before, the people that lost family there are soooo relieved that they were saved from an unlikely nuclear war.  I was alive at the time at so were my parents, it was mostly hype.

@boomzilla said:

hemispheric meddling has been an official US Government policy for almost 200 years!

Yeah, and it always works, right?

@boomzilla said:

@serguey123 said:
    Anyhow armed conflicts are not very efficient at producing democracy, at least in my opinion
    They worked for us!

Barely, and as of late it seems they are regressing

• ♿ (Parody)

@serguey123 said:

@boomzilla said:

It applies in the sense that you are comparing what might have happened to what actually happened

So, worrying about two uncertain things, it's more important to be worried about the lesser. Check. I'll remember to ignore your opinions about risk management in the future.

@serguey123 said:

@boomzilla said:
    @serguey123 said:

They worked for us!

Yeah, but only if by "they" you mean Democrat governors from North Carolina. More likely, however, you don't know what you mean, or what you mean is just more nationalistic trolling.

• @serguey123 said:

@boomzilla said:

@serguey123 said:
    They worked for us!

That's because we haven't been killing the right people.  The most democratizing violence in American history was when we forcibly expelled all the statists in power from the continent.  If we hadn't stopped doing that, we'd be a free people today.

• @boomzilla said:

So, worrying about two uncertain things, it's more important to be worried about the lesser. Check. I'll remember to ignore your opinions about risk management in the future.

No, you should worry about the more likely to actually happens.

Giving training and weapons to a dictator, probability of people getting killed and tortured: 100%

Playing a game of chicken with nuclear missiles and making an obvious bluff by pretending to give control to a puppet, probability of nuclear war: less than 100%

You can say that the consecuences of the later were greater but again, good luck explaining that to the families of the bereaved.

Look in hindsight everything looks clearer but at the time a lot of people were confused and the people calling the shots did not have all the relevant information to make the right choice, again, at the time I was alive and to me and the people I knew it was obvious with the information we had that reason would prevail (this actually I knew because of were I live) and that one of the sides would chicken out.

• ♿ (Parody)

@serguey123 said:

@boomzilla said:

No, you should worry about the more likely to actually happens.

As I implied, you have a shitty conception of risk.

@serguey123 said:

You can say that the consecuences of the later were greater but again, good luck explaining that to the families of the bereaved.

Yep, they'll probably never forgive nor forget. WWII firebombings sucked, too. This isn't a trump card against actions that have negative consequences, like you seem to be arguing.

@serguey123 said:

...this actually I knew because of were I live...

I think I'll stop pretending you're from North Korea (too obvious, anyways) and start pretending you're from Paraguay.

• Yes, but the reason you know that "If I give weapons to a dictator, that guy is not going to use them to opress and kill the people of his country" is because of experiments conducted, in part, by the US, in which weapons were given to dictators.

Untill you experimentally verify it, it's just a theory. Possibly a well grounded theory with a lot of support, but still. In fact, good scientific rigor suggests you need the reproduce the result a few times to make sure it wasn't outside influence or testing error.

In other words- You're welcome.

• @boomzilla said:

@serguey123 said:
    @boomzilla said:
    It applies in the sense that you are comparing what might have happened to what actually happened
    So, worrying about two uncertain things, it's more important to be worried about the lesser. Check. I'll remember to ignore your opinions about risk management in the future. @serguey123 said:
    @boomzilla said:
    @serguey123 said:
    They worked for us!
    Yeah, but only if by "they" you mean Democrat governors from North Carolina. More likely, however, you don't know what you mean, or what you mean is just more nationalistic trolling.

Hmmm, infringements of the civil liberties of their citizens is nothing new.  In 1798 there were the Alien and Sedition Acts, Abraham Lincoln suspended Habeas Corpus in the midst of the Civil War, and in 1942 Franklin Roosevelt sent Japanese Americans to internment camps and more recently, the Patriot Act.  Yes in all of these cases existed extreme circuntances but racial profiling is still wrong.

• @cdosrun said:

Yes, but the reason you know that "If I give weapons to a dictator, that guy is not going to use them to opress and kill the people of his country" is because of experiments conducted, in part, by the US, in which weapons were given to dictators.

Untill you experimentally verify it, it's just a theory. Possibly a well grounded theory with a lot of support, but still. In fact, good scientific rigor suggests you need the reproduce the result a few times to make sure it wasn't outside influence or testing error.

In other words- You're welcome.

+1  I really love this post

• @hoodaticus said:

@blakeyrat said:

Why would you want to work for a company that has mandatory drug screenings?
    This.  The reason I don't burn out is because I can burn one.

You need the lettuce to put up with your job? Sucks bro.

• ♿ (Parody)

@serguey123 said:

@boomzilla said:
    @serguey123 said:

Hmmm, infringements of the civil liberties of their citizens is nothing new.  In 1798 there were the Alien and Sedition Acts, Abraham Lincoln suspended Habeas Corpus in the midst of the Civil War, and in 1942 Franklin Roosevelt sent Japanese Americans to internment camps and more recently, the Patriot Act.  Yes in all of these cases existed extreme circuntances but racial profiling is still wrong.

I'm trying to connect this to regression from democracy of late. I'd certainly agree that we've been making a mockery of the rule of law and the Constitution since Woodrow Wilson. I'm not convinced that the PATRIOT act is the scourge that many seem to think. In many cases, it simply applied laws that were already enforced against stuff like organized crime to terrorism investigations. Maybe those things should be unconstitutional, but again, that's a different thing than regressing from democracy.

Actually, last year's elections showed that the brakes of democracy can still work more or less as they were envisioned when the Constitution was written. To wit, the change in balance of power in the House.

• @boomzilla said:

This isn't a trump card against actions that have negative consequences, like you seem to be arguing.

I'm arguing that they should stop making shitty decisions and learn from the past and that they should not act as smug as they do sometimes because like every other government in the face of the earth they have innocent blood in their hands

@boomzilla said:

I think I'll stop pretending you're from North Korea (too obvious, anyways) and start pretending you're from Paraguay.

You are free to believe whatever you want, but because I seem to care about something, it doesn't mean that it actually touched me personally

• @serguey123 said:

but because I seem to care about something, it doesn't mean that it actually touched me personally

Like your mom!

Brought to you by the Thread Anti-serious-ification Council

• @boomzilla said:

I'm trying to connect this to regression from democracy of late.

You can't have real democracy without civil liberties. At least in my opinion, so undermining civil liberties, ultimately undermines democracy

• ♿ (Parody)

@serguey123 said:

@boomzilla said:
    This isn't a trump card against actions that have negative consequences, like you seem to be arguing.

I'm arguing that they should stop making shitty decisions and learn from the past and that they should not act as smug as they do sometimes because like every other government in the face of the earth they have innocent blood in their hands

That's a reasonable sentiment to have, and I generally agree with it.

@serguey123 said:

@boomzilla said:

You can't have real democracy without civil liberties. At least in my opinion, so undermining civil liberties, ultimately undermines democracy

OK, now it's the Humpty Dumpty defense: Words mean just what you want them to mean. Don't misunderstand, I agree that civil liberties are very important. But democracy is not at all the same thing as rule of law and limited government.

Aside from those old examples (and frankly, the Lincoln example is not as cut and dried as many believe, since the President has a lot of power in times of war and insurrection), the PATRIOT act isn't a very good example of civil liberties being eroded. I'm sure there are legitimate examples in modern America, but when I think of current erosion of civil liberties in places we think of as being "free," I tend to think of Europe (Geert Wilders, criminalizing holocaust denial, outlawing burkas) or now Australia (Andrew Bolt).

Which isn't to say that factions in America aren't trying. One example is "hate crime" laws. So far, they're still just "add-ons" to existing crimes, not out and out thoughtcrime. I think there's a case to be made that current "anti-discrimination" laws have jumped the shard. As Chief Justice Roberts said, “The way to stop discrimination on the basis of race is to stop discriminating on the basis of race.” Whatever you think about racism by private individuals, the official racism of the government has always been worse (slavery, Jim Crow, minimum wage laws, prevailing wage laws, eugenics).

• @boomzilla said:

@serguey123 said:
    @boomzilla said:

OK, now it's the Humpty Dumpty defense: Words mean just what you want them to mean. Don't misunderstand, I agree that civil liberties are very important. But democracy is not at all the same thing as rule of law and limited government.

Aside from those old examples (and frankly, the Lincoln example is not as cut and dried as many believe, since the President has a lot of power in times of war and insurrection), the PATRIOT act isn't a very good example of civil liberties being eroded. I'm sure there are legitimate examples in modern America, but when I think of current erosion of civil liberties in places we think of as being "free," I tend to think of Europe (Geert Wilders, criminalizing holocaust denial, outlawing burkas) or now Australia (Andrew Bolt).

Which isn't to say that factions in America aren't trying. One example is "hate crime" laws. So far, they're still just "add-ons" to existing crimes, not out and out thoughtcrime. I think there's a case to be made that current "anti-discrimination" laws have jumped the shard. As Chief Justice Roberts said, “The way to stop discrimination on the basis of race is to stop discriminating on the basis of race.” Whatever you think about racism by private individuals, the official racism of the government has always been worse (slavery, Jim Crow, minimum wage laws, prevailing wage laws, eugenics).

I never claimed they were the same, I claimed they were connected.  Of course words meaning differ in different regions and different eras.  Also I'm not a native english speaker, it was the second to last language I learned so I'm not that skilled with it.

Of course that places worst that the US exist, my country for example, but it seems more relevant in the US because they always have claimed to be the paladins of democracy and they are view in that light and compared in that context by the rest of the world.

• ♿ (Parody)

@serguey123 said:

I never claimed they were the same, I claimed they were connected.  Of course words meaning differ in different regions and different eras.  Also I'm not a native english speaker, it was the second to last language I learned so I'm not that skilled with it.

Fair enough. A lot of that was more of a general rant than specifically directed at you. Democracy is often held up as a be-all-end-all of good governance. Of course, just looking at the original, Athenian Democracy is more than enough to understand why that's not true. Modern examples include insane asylums like Gaza.

@serguey123 said:

Of course that places worst that the US exist, my country for example, but it seems more relevant in the US because they always have claimed to be the paladins of democracy and they are view in that light and compared in that context by the rest of the world.

That's fair. It's good to be held to a high standard, though failing to always measure up is not the same thing as hypocrisy.

• @Power Troll said:

You need the lettuce to put up with your job? Sucks bro.
    It drops me down just enough IQ points to make comprehensible the primeval grunts and gestures of the unwashed masses I am supposedly tasked with supporting.

Really, the reason I have a huge potential for burnout is that I'm 100% career focused right now, at least until I break six figures.  As such, I spend virtually all of my time at home either programming or learning the latest frameworks.  The lettuce makes this a rather pleasant experience, since it helps me focus on something for hours on end without dying of boredom or getting distracted.

I'd never go into work intoxicated, of course - that's what the Tequila in my desk and the board room gin are for.

• @boomzilla said:

official racism of the government[. . .](minimum wage laws, prevailing wage laws).

explain please

• @boomzilla said:

That's fair. It's good to be held to a high standard, though failing to always measure up is not the same thing as hypocrisy.
    Did you see the South Park episode about the US constitution?

• @Sutherlands said:

@boomzilla said:

official racism of the government[. . .](minimum wage laws, prevailing wage laws).

explain please

Did you see the episode of South Park about hate crimes?

• ♿ (Parody)

@Sutherlands said:

@boomzilla said:

explain please

Racism was actually a justification for both of these types of laws early in the 20th century, since it was a way to improve employment opportunities for whites at the expense of blacks.

Minimum wage laws make it more difficult to employ lower skilled workers (i.e., at the time, blacks especially). So even if an employer and employee were agreeable to the lower skilled worker working at a lower rate, it's now impossible to do so legally. For the higher wages, the employer would like to get more than whatever he thinks the less skilled worker is actually worth. He may in fact be better off hiring nobody than hiring anyone at a rate for which the benefit is no longer justified.

The Wagner Act of 1935 (AKA National Labor Relations Act) gave a lot of power to unions. At the time (1935), the big unions discriminated against blacks.

@serguey123 said:
    @boomzilla said:
    Did you see the South Park episode about the US constitution?
    Is that the one where Cartman goes back in time or something? I have, but the details are vague in my mind. Did you have a point?

• ♿ (Parody)

@serguey123 said:

Did you see the episode of South Park about hate crimes?

Did you see the episode of South Park where Kenny died?

• @boomzilla said:

Is that the one where Cartman goes back in time or something? I have, but the details are vague in my mind. Did you have a point?

Of course I have a point, it might not be good point, but I have a point.

Watch it if you have time

• ♿ (Parody)

@serguey123 said:

@boomzilla said:

Of course I have a point, it might not be good point, but I have a point.

Watch it if you have time

I don't care enough about your vague point. I might care about your vague point if I knew what it was, but I don't care about your vague point.

• Garbage Person

@pnieuwkamp said:

@Weng said:

and they even made sure I didn't have a CDL and that I didn't want a DOT test done at the same time

Google to the rescue, but what do a commercial drivers license and the Department of Transportation have to do with your drug test?

The DOT drug test (which is required to hold a CDL) means a dude has to watch you pee in the cup. Like literally watch your penis.

• @serguey123 said:

Almost eh?  I never claimed to have a clearence, only that I won't discuss my job nor my actual security clearance, whether I have one or not (or a job or not). 

Dead giveaway.  If you actually had one, you wouldn't even have mentioned it.

(If you did have one, you're going to lose it now.)

• @cdosrun said:

Yes, but the reason you know that "If I give weapons to a dictator, that guy is not going to use them to opress and kill the people of his country" is because of experiments conducted, in part, by the US, in which weapons were given to dictators.

Untill you experimentally verify it, it's just a theory.

Ah, so that's why Rumsfeld sold all those chemical weapons to Saddam?

• @serguey123 said:

It applies in the sense that you are comparing what might have happened to what actually happened, maybe we were saved from a nuclear holocaust, maybe we weren't, I personally doubt Kruschev would have give Castro control of the missiles, as he was a treated like a puppet and ignored, and the Soviet Union at the time could of course obliterate any target they wanted with ICBMs.  What actually happened is that a lot of people dissapeared, dissapearing often meaning getting trowed at sea to become shark food.  So if we take that into account as I said before, the people that lost family there are soooo relieved that they were saved from an unlikely nuclear war.  I was alive at the time at so were my parents, it was mostly hype.

To update the kiddies, the problem with missiles in Cuba was that they could hit the US in 5-10 minutes, not the 30 minutes it would take a missile from the USSR to reach the USA. Therefore they could hit the US before the US could launch a counter-strike. Missiles in Cuba threatened the MAD (Mutual Assured Destruction) policy and so were very de-stabilizing.

<br>

What is not widely reported is that, soon after the crisis, and possibly as part of the deal, American
    missiles were removed from Turkey. Those American missiles in Turkey
    presented the USSR with the same problem that the Soviet missiles in
    Cuba presented to the US - a no-warning quick strike. <br></p><p>@serguey123 said:<blockquote>@boomzilla said:<blockquote>&nbsp;<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monroe_Doctrine">hemispheric meddling</a> has been an official US Government policy for almost 200 years!</blockquote>Yeah, and it always works, right?</blockquote></p><p>

The Monrow Doctrine has been very successful. Latin America has
    suffered from dictators for centuries, but they've been local
    dictators, not European colonial dictators. <br></p>

@serguey123 said:

@boomzilla said:
    @serguey123 said:
    They worked for us!

Who is "us"? When you make a reference to your nation, please mention which nation. Thank you. (Andy Canfield; living in Thailand with a U.S. passport)

• @hoodaticus said:

I'd never go into work intoxicated, of course - that's what the Tequila in my desk and the board room gin are for.

Nice! For my next holidays I want to work a couple of weeks there and the rest in whatever ring of despair mr. snoofle goes to harvest his very fine stories.

• @hoodaticus said:

The most democratizing violence in American history was when we forcibly expelled all the statists in power from the continent.  If we hadn't stopped doing that, we'd be a free people today.

Well, here 'we' are trying to silence each and every statistician and things seem worse every day.

• @Weng said:

@pnieuwkamp said:

@Weng said:

and they even made sure I didn't have a CDL and that I didn't want a DOT test done at the same time

Google to the rescue, but what do a commercial drivers license and the Department of Transportation have to do with your drug test?

The DOT drug test (which is required to hold a CDL) means a dude has to watch you pee in the cup. Like literally watch your penis.

Since we're supposed now to quote from artistic works in order to back up our arguments, I'll point you towards Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash.

• @AndyCanfield said:

To update the kiddies, the problem with missiles in Cuba was that they could hit the US in 5-10 minutes, not the 30 minutes it would take a missile from the USSR to reach the USA. Therefore they could hit the US before the US could launch a counter-strike. Missiles in Cuba threatened the MAD (Mutual Assured Destruction) policy and so were very de-stabilizing.

What is not widely reported is that, soon after the crisis, and possibly as part of the deal, American missiles were removed from Turkey. Those American missiles in Turkey presented the USSR with the same problem that the Soviet missiles in Cuba presented to the US - a no-warning quick strike.

Yes, the russians decided to put the missiles in Cuba because of the missiles in Turkey however 30 minutes was not enough to actually do nothing useful anyway, except pray and nuking the other guy so it was actually not a significant change.  I actually prefer a quick death.

@DaveK said:

Dead giveaway.  If you actually had one, you wouldn't even have mentioned it.

(If you did have one, you're going to lose it now.)

Hmm, I never said I had anything I just said that I don't discuss past or present jobs, and if I were going to lose something, I would lose more than that sadly, if I had actually left any tracks, which I didn't.  So.., I'm safe... so far...  as I said earlier my biggest problem is that my employer and my government dislike each other, and part of the restrictions and checking is due to that.

@boomzilla said:

Did you see the episode of South Park where Kenny died?

Did you see the episode where they explained why he can't die?

@boomzilla said:

I don't care enough about your vague point. I might care about your vague point if I knew what it was, but I don't care about your vague point.

Ok, it is a fine episode, and as every episode of south park, it needs to be taken with a grain of salt but it has some truth in it.  I will more vague later

• ♿ (Parody)

@serguey123 said:

Yes, the russians decided to put the missiles in Cuba because of the missiles in Turkey however 30 minutes was not enough to actually do nothing useful anyway, except pray and nuking the other guy so it was actually not a significant change.

"Nuking the other guy" is kinda the whole point. It's called deterrence when the other guy doesn't do it because he probably can't get away with it without the other side doing the same thing to him.

• @boomzilla said:

@serguey123 said:
    Yes, the russians decided to put the missiles in Cuba because of the missiles in Turkey however 30 minutes was not enough to actually do nothing useful anyway, except pray and nuking the other guy so it was actually not a significant change.
    "Nuking the other guy" is kinda the whole point. It's called deterrence when the other guy doesn't do it because he probably can't get away with it without the other side doing the same thing to him.

Do you think that the Warsaw Pact ability to respond was so severely impaired by the missiles in Turkey that they could not nuke the shit out of the other guy 30 minutes later?

• ♿ (Parody)

@serguey123 said:

@boomzilla said:
    @serguey123 said:

Do you think that the Warsaw Pact ability to respond was so severely impaired by the missiles in Turkey that they could not nuke the shit out of the other guy 30 minutes later?

I'm not sure about the Warsaw Pact's ability (did any of them really matter except for the Soviets?), but it was certainly less than having missiles in North Dakota. I guess I'll go ahead and connect the dots and congratulate you for conceding the point.

• @boomzilla said:

did any of them really matter except for the Soviets?

Not politically but they mattered in the sense that the soviet stashed nuclear missiles there (they had like 250 in Poland for example).  As I said, 15 minutes in reality mattered very little as it was next to imposible to prevent retaliation.  But reason at that time was a scarce commodity

• ♿ (Parody)

@serguey123 said:

But reason at that time wasis always a scarce commodity

FTFY

• @boomzilla said:

@serguey123 said:
    But reason at that time wasis always a scarce commodity
    FTFY
    Agreed

• @Weng said:

@pnieuwkamp said:

@Weng said:

Not everywhere you go for this is that strict. When I got my CDL in Massachusetts, I was allowed to do pee in a cup alone in a small bathroom. I did have to empty my pockets first, and I was told that turning on the sink or flushing the toilet would result in automatic failure of the test.

•  What if your bladder isn't brimmin'?

• What if you have stage fright?

• @Power Troll said:

What if you have stage fright?

I heard doing arithmetic in your head helps with that.

• @frits said:

@Power Troll said:

Thanks! I'll give it a try.

• @frits said:

@Power Troll said:

Confidence in knowing how to play your instrument helps as well.

• "If there's 3000 people here, 3 of us, and a 1% chance they have a bottle, that means 30 bottles possible and given a 30% chance they'll hate us..."

Nope, not helping