Microsoft's New 'User Friendly' error messages



  •  

    Personally, I think they could have a provided at least a LITTLE more detail, don't you think? 



  • Just press cancel to undo whatever happened.

     How more easily do you want it ?



  • You can't fault them on accuracy. It's a near-certainty that something, indeed, happened. Somewhere.



  • try {
    install_windows(8);
    } except {
    // I could implement some error handling here,
    // but it's late and I'm tired; also lazy.
    alert('Something happened!');
    }



  • For the first time ever, I have absolutely no interest in the latest version of Windows.  I know it's still early beta, but seriously, WTF?


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @El_Heffe said:

    For the first time ever, I have absolutely no interest in the latest version of Windows.  I know it's still early beta, but seriously, WTF?
    Give it time. Most sane people (even in IT) don't give a damn until RC1.



  • While developers may not appreciate this sort of error screen, I think this is PERFECT for users. "Sorry, it broke, here is one SINGLE choice you need to make". THAT is how you report an error to a user.

    Imagine if a car gave a full page info dump instead of just illuminating a "check engine" light. Scratch that, I'm sure some anal-retentive is going to claim he'd love that and it should, for no reason, be built into the car rather than a diagnostic tool.



  • @El_Heffe said:

    For the first time ever, I have absolutely no interest in the latest version of Windows.  I know it's still early beta, but seriously, WTF?

    Although it may be a "first time ever" for you, I remember well the same reacion from people when a mouse was introduced....and when a crt (instead of a hardcopy terminal) was introduced...



  • @TheCPUWizard said:

    Although it may be a "first time ever" for you, I remember well the same reacion from people when a mouse was introduced....and when a crt (instead of a hardcopy terminal) was introduced...

    Back in my day, we used simple hand gestures and voice recognition to control our electronics. Not like you kids today with your neural interfaces. Bah!



  • @Soviut said:

    @TheCPUWizard said:
    Although it may be a "first time ever" for you, I remember well the same reacion from people when a mouse was introduced....and when a crt (instead of a hardcopy terminal) was introduced...

    Back in my day, we used simple hand gestures and voice recognition to control our electronics. Not like you kids today with your neural interfaces. Bah!

    I use simple hand gestures all the time....often a single finger extended vertically in the direction of the machine.



  • @TheCPUWizard said:

    @Soviut said:

    @TheCPUWizard said:
    Although it may be a "first time ever" for you, I remember well the same reacion from people when a mouse was introduced....and when a crt (instead of a hardcopy terminal) was introduced...

    Back in my day, we used simple hand gestures and voice recognition to control our electronics. Not like you kids today with your neural interfaces. Bah!

    I use simple hand gestures all the time....often a single finger extended vertically in the direction of the machine.

    The gesture I'm using most often is moving my right fist towards the screen at a high speed. I even use foot gestures, like swinging my right foot towards the PC's case. Some functions I rarely use need a tool to be performed, like a sledge hammer or a minigun.



  • @Soviut said:

    While developers may not appreciate this sort of error screen, I think this is PERFECT for users. "Sorry, it broke, here is one SINGLE choice you need to make". THAT is how you report an error to a user.

    True. Problem is, I see zero ways to get more info (unless you get that after you click, of all possible options: Cancel)

     You therefor have zero ways to resolve the problem which only leads me to conclude Microsoft doesn't want ppl to succesfully install Wndows 8.

     I loathe the 'please contact your system administrator'-messages. They should say 'please contact your system administrator and tell him X and Y'. I really thing that would cut the time it costs to fix it in half, as most users seem to think I have a crystal ball instead of a telephone. 'It's broken!' 'What is?' 'My computer, it doesn't do anyhting!' and after half an hour of asking and asking it turns out the text in Word is red instead of black...

     



  • @pnieuwkamp said:

     I loathe the 'please contact your system administrator'-messages. They should say 'please contact your system administrator and tell him X and Y'. I really thing that would cut the time it costs to fix it in half, as most users seem to think I have a crystal ball instead of a telephone. 'It's broken!' 'What is?' 'My computer, it doesn't do anyhting!' and after half an hour of asking and asking it turns out the text in Word is red instead of black...



    +1 realistic scenario


  • @pnieuwkamp said:

    'It's broken!' 'What is?' 'My computer, it doesn't do anyhting!' and after half an hour of asking and asking it turns out the text in Word is red instead of black...
     

    You got better descriptions than I used to get. It went more along the lines off:

    "It's broken!"

    "What is?"

    "My computer!"

    "Whats wrong with it?"

    "I don't know, just fix it!"

    "Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

    "I don't have time for that! Just fix it!"

    Next thing you know, they are telling everyone they can't do anything until someone fixes their computer. You walk over and press the reset button. The only thanks you get is "It took you long enough, my document has to be finished in less than an hour!"

     



  • @Mole said:

    they are telling everyone they can't do anything until someone fixes they're computer

    FTFY. You don't need to thank me.



  • WTF? Your post doesn't even make sense.

    But then again, this is the side bar. Little things make sense. 

     



  • @derula said:

    @Mole said:
    they are telling everyone they can't do anything until someone fixes they're computer

    FTFY. You don't need to thank me.


    +1



  • @Soviut said:

    While developers may not appreciate this sort of error screen, I think this is PERFECT for users.

    So you agree it's totally the wrong choice for a developer preview? 

    @Soviut said:

    "Sorry, it broke, here is one SINGLE choice you need to make". THAT is how you report an error to a user.

    One choice isn't actually any choice at all, Mr. Ford notwithstanding.

    @Soviut said:

    Imagine if a car gave a full page info dump instead of just illuminating a "check engine" light.

    Of course a car doesn't just have one indicator for "a problem happened".  It has a "check engine" light, a "battery is not charging/flat" light, a "you've left the handbrake on" light, a gauge that tells you when you've run out of petrol, a temperature gauge that tells you if it's overheating, etc., etc....  

    Although many errors aren't anything the user can do something about, there are plenty that they can fix themselves and should be allowed the opportunity to.  Printer out of paper?  No floppy in the drive?  Disk full up?  Imagine if you were trying to save or print something and Office just said "It didn't work" without any details like that.  Some errors are caused by transient conditions, and those are the ones that the user should be explained the nature of the failure and offered the try again or give up choice.

     



  • An alternative view...given the choice:

     1) Make a preview (not even a Beta) available so some people (Developers) can kick the tires on the big pieces, even though there is still significant work to do.

     2) Keep the product internal until all of the features are flashed out so that nobody whines

     Which would you prefer?

     Also, every developer (familiar with Windows) should look in the system logs, even if there appears to be useful information in a dialog for system related things. The majority of time, that is where the information that can help resolve the problem is in the first place.


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @Soviut said:

    Imagine if a car gave a full page info dump instead of just illuminating a "check engine" light. Scratch that, I'm sure some anal-retentive is going to claim he'd love that and it should, for no reason, be built into the car rather than a diagnostic tool.
    Considering "you didn't screw your gas cap on all the way" and "if you don't stop driving within the next 100 feet and get a tow, this engine will never run again" are both valid reasons to turn on the check engine light, give me the info dump.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.