The Phone Screen, continued

• @serguey123 said:

@boomzilla said:

@serguey123 said:

@Xyro said:

@serguey123 said:
    You aren't?  I always though that (puppies as avatar)-->(serial killer)
    Nazi, actually.

Same thing

Mr Necessary, please meet Mr Sufficient. Anyways, serial killer != genocidal fascist.

A serial killer kills a lot of people that fit a certain profile, a nazi does the same.

A serial killer is not well in his head, a nazi again is the same

In what meaningful way are they different?

Inb4 Fry macro

• ♿ (Parody)

@serguey123 said:

A serial killer kills a lot of people that fit a certain profile, a nazi does the same.

For one, I'd suspect that most members of the Nazi party never personally killed anyone. Certainly once you separate battlefield-type kills, which are generally not defined as murder. Instead, the Nazis institutionalized genocide, which is really a pretty different thing than someone going around murdering multiple people. OK, they're both complicit, somehow in the deaths of people, though probably all members of the Nazi party weren't really crazy, not in the way the guys at the top were, and not in the way a serial killer would be.

So, overall, some pretty meaningful differences.

• @boomzilla said:

@serguey123 said:

For one, I'd suspect that most members of the Nazi party never personally killed anyone. Certainly once you separate battlefield-type kills, which are generally not defined as murder. Instead, the Nazis institutionalized genocide, which is really a pretty different thing than someone going around murdering multiple people. OK, they're both complicit, somehow in the deaths of people, though probably all members of the Nazi party weren't really crazy, not in the way the guys at the top were, and not in the way a serial killer would be.

And their school teachers...!

• @boomzilla said:

Meaningful to you at least

Not all serial killlers actually did the killing, some were couples or packs

Never said that serial killers were crazy, I said that they were not well, if they were crazy then they could not be judged

• @DaveK said:

@serguey123 said:

@boomzilla said:

@serguey123 said:

@Xyro said:

@serguey123 said:
    You aren't?  I always though that (puppies as avatar)-->(serial killer)
    Nazi, actually.

Same thing

Mr Necessary, please meet Mr Sufficient. Anyways, serial killer != genocidal fascist.

Inb4 Fry macro

No idea what this is supposed to mean

@Blakeyrat said:

And their school teachers...!

Teachers FTW

• @serguey123 said:

Nazis had better taste for clothes.
    @serguey123, previously said:
    btw
    Bacon-Turkey-Walrus

• @Zecc said:

Bacon-Turkey-Walrus

That sounds like a really tasty sandwich.

• From Phone screen to Serial Killers Nazis, Communist Teachers and Bacon...
    I wonder why did I took so long to lurk these well of enlightment again?

• @fatdog said:

Communist Teachers

Where?

You should come more often, holding it is bad for your health

@Zecc said:

Nazis had better taste for clothes

Khakis and grey are soooo yesterday, they need to spice it up (some magenta and pink)

• @serguey123 said:

@fatdog said:
    Communist Teachers

Where?

Right [url=http://forums.thedailywtf.com/forums/p/24740/262404.aspx#262404]here[/url]:
    @fatdog said:

Communist Teachers

• @boomzilla said:

BTK was an infamous serial killer.
    Interesting; I hadn't heard of him before. I thought this was particularly amusing:
    @wikipedia said:
    In his letters to police, Rader asked if his writings, if put on a floppy disk, could be traced or not. The police answered his question via a newspaper ad posted in the Wichita Eagle saying it would be OK to use the disk.
    Did he really think the police were going to say "Oh, no, don't do that because we might be able to trace you from it"? For even more fun, the actual way they traced him was via "metadata embedded in a deleted Microsoft Word document that was, unbeknownst to Rader, on the disk." Not quite as bad as if it had been "Track Changes", but still a valuable lesson to would-be serial killers everywhere: keep your serial killer letters and your general correspondence on separate media. And don't forget that the police are not on your side.

• @Scarlet Manuka said:

Did he really think the police were going to say "Oh, no, don't do that because we might be able to trace you from it"? For even more fun, the actual way they traced him was via "metadata embedded in a deleted Microsoft Word document that was, unbeknownst to Rader, on the disk."

"Uh yah. This is us, the police. Here's the deal: you can use super-strong encryption on Word, but it requires a little work. Here's what you do... make a text file on the disk, and call it "super secret privacy info", don't worry it'll only show up to you. Inside that text file put your full name, address, phone number, and favorite color. This is for the strong encryption. Now when you save the Word file, it will be totally untraceable."