I'm not even looking for a job...

• ♿ (Parody)

@dhromed said:

I should post a screenshot of my expert diking.

QFT

• @dhromed said:

I should post a screenshot of my expert diking.

Drove the dyke on the bike but the dike was dry?

• @Lorne Kates said:

@C-Octothorpe said:

"how would you move Mt. Fuji"

With Photoshop and a world-wide campaign of misinformation, bribery and murder that borders on omnipotence

Also, to prevent anyone from producing contrary evidence, I'd have to permanently evacuate any location with line-of-sight of Fuji's "old" location. So I'd meltdown a nuclear power plant (faking a tsunami to shift the blame of the plant's failure).

To address the issue of satallite imaging, I'd first genetically engineer a charasmatic human who will appeal to a majority of the population of the United States of America. I would raise that human well, send him to law school, then get him elected to office on a campaign of hope. Finally, once in office, post-hypnotic suggestions planted decades ago would trigger, causing him to completely reverse his position on space exploration. He'll dismantle the government controlled space agency, opening the door for private space companies-- all of which I will control. With full control over all satallite imaging, I can easily remove Mt. Fuji from any imagry taken.

Given a hundred years or so, generational memory will just adjust. Mt. Fuji will have always been in it's new location. Anyone claiming otherwise will be scoffed. I will leave behind a legacy of agents whose sacred duty is to protect the secret of Fuji's true location. Their lives will be dedicated to seeking out and "silencing" any overly vocal opponents. Travel to Mt. Fuji's new location will be heavily discouraged by a smear campaign calling it "boring" and "not worth seeing". Anyone who does make it will be intercepted by agents. They will be turned back where possible, brought into the fold if trustworthy, otherwise they will have to have a "tourist accident".

This is totally doable, as a matter of fact, if you replace Mt. Fuji with WMD...

@RHuckster said:

If you could create tsunamis...

You can... you can also create tsunamis, the only thing you need is a nuclear device

• @Faxmachinen said:

@C-Octothorpe said:
    "how would you move My. Fuji"
    That's a stupid question. Mt. Fuji is already moving.

Hah, that's my answer if I'm ever asked.

"Plate tectonics."

• Is From Dust any good? I might pick it up when it goes on sale. Normally I'd jump at a Black And White-esque god game, but I've been so burned by Dungeons (shit) and Cities XL (shit), that I'm kind of gunshy about the whole genre now.

• @blakeyrat said:

Is From Dust any good? I might pick it up when it goes on sale. Normally I'd jump at a Black And White-esque god game, but I've been so burned by Dungeons (shit) and Cities XL (shit), that I'm kind of gunshy about the whole genre now.

The PC version has a few technical shortcomings (no graphics detail settings; half-assed resolution support; gamepad controls not remappable), but the game itself is quite enjoyable. Personally I think it's worth the normal price of 15€, but YMMV.

• REVIEWWW.

From Dust won't respond to Catalyst's antialias settings at all and has no internal AA setting, so it's jag central for me. :\ Silver lining: more framereate and/or option to use higer resolutions.

It has no graphics qualilty options suchs as "use simple shadows" or distance LOD or "use reflections" etc, so it's basically all on all the time. Since the levels aren't very massive, this is probably no issue for anyone on hardware no older than 2 years.

The narrative and gameplay elements are very clearly a thin veil across a prototype physics simulator that had to make some money. Every level is "populate villages. move to exit.". It's a pretty easy game.

The mouse control is poorly tweaked, but it's still done way better than how most of these "fly over 3D landscape like a god" handle it. You'll find yourself overshooting a lot. Middle-drag to tilt view is wonky.

Zooming in close to your precious papua people is completely pointless. They have no skills. They're also pretty stupid, but that's because they don't have anything to do other than build villages and fly kites.

It has an enormous amount of atmosphere.

Playing with dirt is tons of fun.

Watching plants grow as you connect dirt patches and water them is rewarding.

Building dams so your flock won't drown is also rewarding.

Conclusion: it's a simple, easy game with rather limited gameplay aspects, but the physics and graphics are awesome and the experience is very good. Same could be said for Assassin's Creed 1, though that had far more gameplay aspects and story in addition to its gorgeousness.

As far as marrying world-scultping to gameplay goes, I'd recommend Minecraft and Terraria, both of which have far more to offer than just fucking with the world, but are much less pretty. If you find yourself playing pixelly games with a lot of system to it, then let From Dust go. It does not offer what you want. If you enjoy beauty and fluid interactive experiences, by all means grab it.

@tdb said:

half-assed resolution support

You can pick a resolution. What more do you want?

• @dhromed said:

@tdb said:

I can't speak for tdb, but if it doesn't have frameless full-screen window as an option, it's inferior. Since games started introducing that a couple years ago, I never use any other setting unless I absolutely have to. And it's about fucking time game makers realized, "derrr some computers have more than one monitor derrr!"

Thanks for the review, I'll buy it after a patch and when it goes on sale probby.

• @dhromed said:

@tdb said:

On my 1920x1200 monitor, it looks like it's internally rendering at 1280x720 or something and then upscaling for presentation. The aliasing at polygon edges looks more rough than my pixels, yet at the same time blurry in a bilinear filtering kind of way.

• @blakeyrat said:

And it's about fucking time game makers realized, "derrr some computers have more than one monitor derrr!"

So true. I had to disable my second monitor in Windows because Tropico 3 crashed on startup if multiple monitors were enabled. Besides just behaving gracefully with a multi-head setup, many games could benefit from actually making use of the second monitor. See Supreme Commander for a well-executed example (although not perfect; IIRC you can't use the secondary screen to quickly move the main screen view).

• @tdb said:

@blakeyrat said:
    And it's about fucking time game makers realized, "derrr some computers have more than one monitor derrr!"

So true. I had to disable my second monitor in Windows because Tropico 3 crashed on startup if multiple monitors were enabled. Besides just behaving gracefully with a multi-head setup, many games could benefit from actually making use of the second monitor. See Supreme Commander for a well-executed example (although not perfect; IIRC you can't use the secondary screen to quickly move the main screen view).

It still bugs me that games well-suited to the normal WIMP interface, say, Civilization, don't fucking use it! What bugs me even more is that most of these type of games, SimCity, Civilization, Rogue-like Mission: Thunderbolt did use the WIMP interface in their first incarnation, when multiple monitors were so rare as to be a non-issue.

I've been playing the Rogue-like Dungeons of Dredmor (released: 2011), and its UI is significantly worse than Mission: Thunderbolt (released: 1992). Why is this industry moving backwards!?

• Bizarrely, Star Trek Armada, released all the way back in 2000, not only supports multiscreen, it actively detects a second monitor and uses it to display "important" events like battles and such.

It's like for once, a games developer [b]gave a damn[/b].

It's not a time period thing though because Rome Total War (2004) fails to trap the mouse inside the active monitor and any clicks in the last 64px (i.e. where the next turn button is) fall through the program to whatever was below.

• ♿ (Parody)

@blakeyrat said:

It still bugs me that games well-suited to the normal WIMP interface, say, Civilization, don't fucking use it! What bugs me even more is that most of these type of games, SimCity, Civilization, Rogue-like Mission: Thunderbolt did use the WIMP interface in their first incarnation, when multiple monitors were so rare as to be a non-issue.

Totally agree, except (OBPedanticDickweed) that the original Civilization was for DOS. Civ II was the first made for windows. i haven't played V, but Civ IV at least has a non-full screen mode that doesn't completely suck.

• @boomzilla said:

Totally agree, except (OBPedanticDickweed) that the original Civilization was for DOS.

I owned a Mac at the time and I assure you Civilization had a WIMP interface and also fuck you. It's not my fault, nor Sid Meier's, that you were using a shitty computer.

The only thing worse than a pedantic dickweed is an incorrect pedantic dickweed.

• @tdb said:

On my 1920x1200 monitor, it looks like it's internally rendering at 1280x720 or something and then upscaling for presentation. The aliasing at polygon edges looks more rough than my pixels, yet at the same time blurry in a bilinear filtering kind of way.

Ok, I guess resolution is a crapper, then. :\

What a shame.

• ♿ (Parody)

@blakeyrat said:

@boomzilla said:
    Totally agree, except (OBPedanticDickweed) that the original Civilization was for DOS.

I owned a Mac at the time and I assure you Civilization had a WIMP interface and also fuck you. It's not my fault, nor Sid Meier's, that you were using a shitty computer.

The only thing worse than a pedantic dickweed is an incorrect pedantic dickweed.

As you have amply demonstrated:

Civilization was originally developed for DOS running on a PC. It has undergone numerous revisions for various platforms (including Windows, Macintosh, Amiga, Atari ST, PlayStation, N-Gage and Super Nintendo) and now exists in several versions.

• @boomzilla said:

As you have amply demonstrated:

Civilization was originally developed for DOS running on a PC. It has undergone numerous revisions for various platforms (including Windows, Macintosh, Amiga, Atari ST, PlayStation, N-Gage and Super Nintendo) and now exists in several versions.

So if a game is ported, it's an entirely different game? In your wrong little mental world of wrongness?

Please, just let it drop. I played Civ I. It had a WIMP interface. Newer versions of Civ do not, supporting my point that game UIs are devolving. Whether or not there was also a version of Civ for DOS is entirely irrelevant to the conversation. And since you knew you were being a pedantic dickweed in the first place, I have no idea why you're supporting your pedantic dickweedery with more pedantic dickery. So we're rolling back around to "also fuck you".

Sadly I know you're just trolling me, but I have to reply because there is the possibility, no matter how slim, that you're dumb enough to honestly believe porting a game makes it a different game. So count me as the troll victim if you want.

• ♿ (Parody)

@blakeyrat said:

So if a game is ported, it's an entirely different game? In your wrong little mental world of wrongness?

Well, it's not the original, is it?

@blakeyrat said:

Please, just let it drop. I played Civ I. It had a WIMP interface. Newer versions of Civ do not, supporting my point that game UIs are devolving. Whether or not there was also a version of Civ for DOS is entirely irrelevant to the conversation. And since you knew you were being a pedantic dickweed in the first place, I have no idea why you're supporting your pedantic dickweedery with more pedantic dickery. So we're rolling back around to "also fuck you".

Hey, I was honest about my dickweedery, and you couldn't leave well enough alone, so stop bitching.

@blakeyrat said:

Sadly I know you're just trolling me, but I have to reply because there is the possibility, no matter how slim, that you're dumb enough to honestly believe porting a game makes it a different game. So count me as the troll victim if you want.

In the world of pedantic dickweedery, yes, a newer version is not the same version as the original. Are you really that illiterate to not understand original vs newer? I'd accept as true something along the lines of, "There was a fringe version of Civ that had a bona fide WIMP interface."

• @boomzilla said:

@blakeyrat said:

Well, it's not the original, is it?

Yes it fucking is. It's maybe not the original "code", or the original "build", or the original "SKU", but it's fucking definitely the fucking original Civilization.

@boomzilla said:

In the world of pedantic dickweedery, yes, a newer version is not the same version as the original.

It's not a newer version. You're pulling that "fact" out of your ass. WHY THE FUCK DO YOU THINK IT'S A NEWER VERSION? It's the same fucking game, the exact same Civilizations, the exact same rules-- the only things different are the graphics and the UI, the things that are supposed to be different because it's a port. RAGE!

The only thing you're doing is PURPOSEFULLY MISUNDERSTANDING ENGLISH in order to "support" your ass-pull bullshit. We're not so fucking stupid that we're falling for it, ok? Maybe have a tiny bit of respect for my intelligence, huh? Just a teeny bit?

@boomzilla said:

I'd accept as true something along the lines of, "There was a fringe version of Civ that had a bona fide WIMP interface."

Die die die die die die die die die die die die die die

• [img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b0/SimCity_Mac.png[/img]

I always liked the look of SimCity on Mac Classic.

• 🚽 Regular

@blakeyrat said:

You're pulling that "fact" out of your ass. WHY THE FUCK DO YOU THINK IT'S A NEWER VERSION? It's the same fucking game, the exact same Civilizations, the exact same rules-- the only things different are the graphics and the UI, the things that are supposed to be different because it's a port. RAGE!

It's a newer version the same way Windows XP SP2 is a newer version than SP1. What part of pedantic dickweedery don't you understand?!

Good God these types of threads are amazingly stupid.

• @nexekho said:

I always liked the look of SimCity on Mac Classic.

Is that a game or a corrupted bitmap image?

• @blakeyrat said:

Die die die die die die die die die die die die die die

Look what you did, boomzilla. You fucking went and broke him.

I'm never buying you a pet again. And you're grounded.

*slap*

• @RHuckster said:

Good God these types of threads are amazingly stupid.
    They're almost the only reason I read this forum.

• Garbage Person

@RTapeLoadingError said:

First I'd offer Mt Fuji up for corporate sponsorship to the highest bidder.  It would then be known as (e.g.) Mt Sony.  The older folks would still cling to the old name but as time (and they) passed it would fall into disuse.  Once everyone was happy calling it Mt Sony the "Mt Fuji" name would be freed up and we could relocate it anywhere we wanted to.  This would have the advantages of having a lucrative sponsorship deal as well as low relocation costs.
    And what if Fuji Heavy Industries buys it?

• @Weng said:

@RTapeLoadingError said:

First I'd offer Mt Fuji up for corporate sponsorship to the highest bidder.  It would then be known as (e.g.) Mt Sony.  The older folks would still cling to the old name but as time (and they) passed it would fall into disuse.  Once everyone was happy calling it Mt Sony the "Mt Fuji" name would be freed up and we could relocate it anywhere we wanted to.  This would have the advantages of having a lucrative sponsorship deal as well as low relocation costs.

I could make it that the new name has to meet the following criteria:

1. Contains upper and lowercase letters
    2. Has not been used in the previous 3 mountain names

Or I could just fix the bidding process so they didn't win.

• @RTapeLoadingError said:

@Weng said:

Or I could just fix the bidding process so they didn't win.

I'd go with that one.  Criterion #1 doesn't apply because Japanese doesn't have upper and lowercase.

• @da Doctah said:

@RTapeLoadingError said:

Criterion #1 doesn't apply because Japanese doesn't have upper and lowercase.

How do Japanese people shout in emails?

Katakana?

YouTube links to Nyancat.

• @C-Octothorpe said:

The easiest thing to do would be to convince the world that it used to be somewhere else.  Then all you have to do is convince the customer that the new place it's at, where it was in the first place, is exactly where they wanted it to be in the first place.

• @SteamBoat said:

@C-Octothorpe said:

The easiest thing to do would be to convince the world that it used to be somewhere else.  Then all you have to do is convince the customer that the new place it's at, where it was in the first place, is exactly where they wanted it to be in the first place.

I think it would be easier to move Mt. Fuji...  :)