AVG js

• ♿ (Parody)

@blakeyrat said:

Yes, but "no va" wasn't the name of the car. So while his explanation was technically correct, it was also TOTALLY USELESS. So why would he have posted it? The only possible reason is that he was trying to support the urban legend by going into more information on how it was formed. Or maybe he posted it because he's a total idiot who likes to post totally useless things to messageboards, but I prefer to give the benefit of the doubt.

I read it as an explanation of why the urban myth has so much credibility. And there is a bit of humor there, even if it wasn't perceived that way. Humor, you see, is often based on counterfactuals. Also, there are no doubt plenty of people around who have probably never heard the myth, and don't speak spanish.

@blakeyrat said:

I do think about these things, you know.

OK. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, and just assume that you don't do it very well.

• Since there's some talk about car names, what about Ford Kuga? In Slovenian (and likely some other Slavic languages) kuga means plague.

• Garbage Person

@ender said:

Since there's some talk about car names, what about Ford Kuga? In Slovenian (and likely some other Slavic languages) kuga means plague.
    Fairly sure they don't sell it in Slovenia. I will, however, ask the token Slovenian we keep around on another forum about it tomorrow.

• [quote user="Wikipedia"]The Mitsubishi Pajero [...] is a sport utility vehicle manufactured by Mitsubishi Motors. It was named after Leopardus pajeros, the Pampas Cat which is native to the Patagonia plateau region of southern Argentina. However, since pajero is an offensive term for "wanker" in Spanish, alternative names have been used for many markets overseas.[/quote]

[quote user="Wikipedia"]In France the name [of Toyota's MR2] was shortened to MR due to the similarity in pronunciation of MR2 with the French word "merde" [actually "emmerdeux", which means something like "fucking annoying"].[/quote]

• I was in Wallonia the past five days (Doureuhhh!), and one of my friends warned me to be vigilant and not say "Thank you" in Dutch to any French-speaking persons there, as the pronunciation of dank u supposedly means "up yours". I can imagine that it sounds like to dans qu'ue or something similar, but it's a moot point anyway, because I know enough basic French phrases to have merci come naturally when receiving and item. Hell, one guy at a fries stall even asked me if I was French, which is a pretty good compliment, I guess. I sai non, je suis Hollandais, and then the bastard began talking in French.

I also use Avast, because it has a boot scanner that can provide indications of rootkits.

Before that, I had Kaspersky because it was lightweight. Call me crazy, but I'm a fan of lightweight  when the software's running all the time. I then had a long period of no protection. Then, something somehow crept onto my computer and I've been paranoid ever since. Hence avast.

• You've got to wonder how many military veterans are turned off by the whole "Kia" brand...

• I can't believe it took me this long to recall this, but Bundesbank sounds like it is a bank of asses; while Deutsche sounds like "does it hurt?".

PS: yes, Deutsche Bundesbank sounds like "Does it hurts asses" bank. And btw, the same word for bank is also used for sitting bench, so the Deutsche Bundesbank is a bench that makes your ass sore.

• Garbage Person

@Zecc said:

Deutsche sounds like "does it hurt?".
    Well it [i]is[/i] a language spoken exclusively by sadists and sadistic engineers.

• @ekolis said:

You've got to wonder how many military veterans are turned off by the whole "Kia" brand...

It used to be Standard Sitcom Plot #48A to have a geezerly sitcom character get angry at the family for buying a Japanese car, even though WWII was long over. I'm hoping this cliche is gone now.

Kias are pieces of crap, anyway, so if you're a geezer boycotting it for some dumb reason, it's actually improving your vehicle selection. So it seems like a non-issue to me.

• @Weng said:

@Zecc said:

Deutsche sounds like "does it hurt?".
    Well it is a language spoken exclusively by sadists and sadistic engineers.

FTFY

No need to be redundant

• @Zecc said:

I can't believe it took me this long to recall this, but Bundesbank sounds like it is a bank of asses; while Deutsche sounds like "does it hurt?".

PS: yes, Deutsche Bundesbank sounds like "Does it hurts asses" bank. And btw, the same word for bank is also used for sitting bench, so the Deutsche Bundesbank is a bench that makes your ass sore.

Well if you have no idea how to pronounce it correctly, then I guess you're right.

• @Weng said:

Fairly sure they don't sell it in Slovenia.
    They do actually.

• @derula said:

Well if you have no idea how to pronounce it correctly, then I guess you're right.
    What do you mean?

• @Zecc said:

@derula said:

What do you mean?

Lol you have 1111 posts lol

• @blakeyrat said:

@ekolis said:

You've got to wonder how many military veterans are turned off by the whole "Kia" brand...

It used to be Standard Sitcom Plot #48A to have a geezerly sitcom character get angry at the family for buying a Japanese car, even though WWII was long over. I'm hoping this cliche is gone now.

Kias are pieces of crap, anyway, so if you're a geezer boycotting it for some dumb reason, it's actually improving your vehicle selection. So it seems like a non-issue to me.

I think he was referring to Kia and the acronym K.I.A., Killed In Action. Also, Kia's would be the Korean war, and even then, they are South Korean.

In any case, I doubt anyone is avoiding Kia due to it meaning Killed In Action.

• Garbage Person

@ender said:

@Weng said:
    Fairly sure they don't sell it in Slovenia.
    They do actually.
    Interesting. Of course, nobody gives a shit about Slovenia.

• @Zecc said:

@derula said:

What do you mean?

"Doitshe Boondesbank" does not resemble "does it hurts asses".

I am unable and unwilling to come up with the twisted pronunciation that makes it sound like "does it hurts asses".

• @cdosrun said:

In any case, I doubt anyone is avoiding Kia due to it meaning Killed In Action.

I know a few people who avoid it because they're offended by the A in the logo not having a crossbar.

• @dhromed said:

"Doitshe Boondesbank" does not resemble "does it hurts asses".

I am unable and unwilling to come up with the twisted pronunciation that makes it sound like "does it hurts asses".

Dang, now I have to reply and break the magic 1,111 number of posts.

When I said it sounded like "does it hurt asses", I didn't mean in English.

I meant "Doitshe Boondesbank" sounds like "dói-te bundas bank" in Brazilian accent (which btw on the one hand isn't grammatically correct, and on the other uses the foreign word "bank").

• Even better: Rabobank. "Rabo" is the word for ass / butt.

• @Zecc said:

Even better: Rabobank. "Rabo" is the word for ass / butt.

lol

Rabobank: SIT YO ASS DOWN