One of my top 10 WTF days

• @Weng said:

@DaveK said:

Ah, there's the answer.  The three pins on a plug on the ISS are live, neutral and ... plasma!

.... Huh. That's pretty cool.
    Actually it's around 10^5K, although it's not very dense.

•  Damn that's gotta suck.

In the call center I am working at, we don't have that fortunately, as everything is stored remotely in the cloud.

Considering that 500 people work in your company, how often a week does this kind of thing happen?

• @dtfinch said:

Well, now with "SET IMPLICIT_TRANSACTIONS", it warns me when I close the query window that I have uncommitted transactions, asking if it should commit them, even when the only query I ran was a select statement. Who commits a select?
    Depending on your transaction isolation level, you may be holding locks on all records selected until you commit or rollback the transaction.

• Hey look, it's a 5-month-old thread with no new content!

•  Haven't you noticed the exciting new spam?

• @Ilya Ehrenburg said:

Haven't you noticed the exciting new spam?

Just because it has a link to Pudding's employer doesn't make it spam.  It was relevant and on-topic, and if you check Pudding's other posts, they are all genuine too.

(I thought it might be spam at first, because that's one of the main ways threads get necro'd round here, and seeing an old thread with a new post that contains very little but a link rings alarm bells, but I decided to check the facts first before flinging hasty accusations around...)

•  Apologies to Pudding for jumping to conclusions.

Thanks to DaveK for pointing it out.

• @SenTree said:

@blakeyrat said:
    @DaveK said:
    all your earths

Are belong to us?

What do you British people call it if the ground is on, say, the International Space Station? Is it still an "earth?"

Surely "ground" is equally inapplicable on the ISS. However, whether British, Russian, American or anything else, I would have thought one would use whatever term was designated in the ISS Electrical Systems Standards (or whatever), to ensure everyone was on common ground (sorry!).

If it's not Earth, it's not an earth is it? Do wake up.

We electrical & electronic engineers when we were being electrical & electronic engineers used to distinguish between "earth" (which was connected to Earth via usually a hulking great lump of metal) and "chassis" which was just connected to the metal frame of the equipment in question and may or may not have been connected to earth depending on, er, whether it was or not.

What's so difficult about that?

• @Matt Westwood said:

@SenTree said:
    @blakeyrat said:
    @DaveK said:
    all your earths

Are belong to us?

What do you British people call it if the ground is on, say, the International Space Station? Is it still an "earth?"

Surely "ground" is equally inapplicable on the ISS. However, whether British, Russian, American or anything else, I would have thought one would use whatever term was designated in the ISS Electrical Systems Standards (or whatever), to ensure everyone was on common ground (sorry!).

If it's not Earth, it's not an earth is it? Do wake up.

koff You're the one who's replying to a five-month old post....

@Matt Westwood said:

We electrical & electronic engineers when we were being electrical & electronic engineers used to distinguish between "earth" (which was connected to Earth via usually a hulking great lump of metal) and "chassis" which was just connected to the metal frame of the equipment in question and may or may not have been connected to earth depending on, er, whether it was or not.

What's so difficult about that?

You forgot to mention "common"!

Also, the ISS is in a low-enough orbit that it basically is earthed, albeit very poorly coupled via the thermosphere; the plasma contactor unit serves to improve the coupling.  The interplanetary medium is conductive plasma, not hard vacuum, after all, and even the Sun is earthed.  Here's a nice picture of one of the areas where the Sun's earth connections terminate:

Please ensure the Sun is Earthed before switching it on.

• @DaveK said:

Here's a nice picture of one of the areas where the Sun's earth connections terminate:

Please ensure the Sun is Earthed before switching it on.

Man that's a fire accident waiting to happen. Some should install a proper socket for that.

•  No problem. Peace be unto thee. ;)

• @KattMan said:

"To Johnny, run." Makes sense and is proper but the syntax is usually made for English majors. (From Table Select *)

That'd be YodaSQL