The absolute dumbest startup advice ever

• See, Microsoft very intentionally (and very successfully) created .NET to be as different as possible from everything else out there

*Cough* Java *Cough*

As for my opinion on the matter: in its class C# and the .NET platform are certainly better than Java, except on the point of cross-platformness (is that even a word?). That doesn't make it "better" or "worse" than ,say, C++ or PHP since those have totally different goals and uses. And nitpicking about how .NET is not a language is just plain silly, its just easier than "the supported languages that can compile into IL".

•  @Lorne Kates said:

@hoodaticus said:

Nagesh?

gesundheit

Nice!

• @serguey123 said:

@dhromed said:

Better topic:

Why does the chick in the lolpic have 4 eyebrows?

Hmm, two of those lines are eyelids contours

What about how her eyebrows are fucking levitating over her  bangs?

• I approve of this thread hijack.

• @Bumble Bee Tuna said:

@serguey123 said:

@dhromed said:

Better topic:

Why does the chick in the lolpic have 4 eyebrows?

Hmm, two of those lines are eyelids contours

What about how her eyebrows are fucking levitating over her  bangs?

The problem is that hair is see-through and in order to achieve that effect, lines behind the hair get accentuated before the hair.  This is part of the style.

• @serguey123 said:

The problem is that hair is see-through and in order to achieve that effect, lines behind the hair get accentuated before the hair.  This is part of the style.

That's not even bad. The worst is when they have bangs combed forward over their eyes, and the animators decide to portray this by having one eye hover in front of the bangs. It's horrifying.

I couldn't find an example of that on Google Image Search, but I found this while looking for one:

Then I got distracted.

• ++++++++++++++++1

:: opens new tab and goes to Google Image search ::

• I love how he starts to get apologetic about .NET in his edits.

Obviously the guy has no clue what .NET is, or has never met a good programmer.

I love how he starts talking about how good programmers started with low level stuff and would never touch .NET.

Hell, I started with Z80 assembly when I was in 7th grade but I use .NET now almost exclusively (and VB.NET at that).  And even though I haventlearned EVERYTHING about .NET (geez, why does everything have to change so fast.  Every day I have to learn some new tool or nuance.)  I can make my way around Oracle, MS Sql and Pervasive SQL databases as well as half a dozen other technologies at the back end DBA level.  But because .NET is my development language of choice I'm probably not a good enough programmer for a start-up?  My shiny metal ass.

With the exception of a few esoteric activities there's nothing that you can do with any other CLR/runtime environment that you can't do in NET.  Hell, you can side-code some straight machine language and call it from .NET if you really want.  But then you may lose cross-platform compatability.  At least with the CLR you can be fairly certain your code will run on any Windows OS if it's desktop based application.  And for a web application it doesn't matter at all, because you can mix and match client side Javascript - CSS and server side VB/C# and a plethora of other paradigms to achieve the desired results.

Of course I never heard of expensify before.  Is that the site that publishes all of your purchases so the entire world can see them?

Whatever.

• @blakeyrat said:

Then I got distracted.

More threads should include this type of context, is distraction worthy

• @hoodaticus said:

@PSWorx said:

I think we have the perfect canidate for them to hire. I find it very unlikely that he has ever touched .NET, he can clearly think outside the box, his build system doesn't use any of those complicated config files, and I'm pretty sure he can cook squirrels over a campfire, too.

Nagesh?

Hoodarni,
    I am using j2EE in my programming code. I don't cook squirrels. MS C# is good language, but too esay to use. OUr company is built on philosophy of not taking on easy project works. The works we do are state of the art. If you use C#, coding will be over quickly with intellisense and all those feature rich products.

Since we use eclipse on 2 GB RAm computers, we give enough time for every programmer to drink one cup coffee for lines of code they write. Also such code becomes extremely difficult to maintain. Everyone knows if you do perfect job, there is no income later. so do job that will create recurring stream of income for everyone. this way we are able to serve client for several years after original code has been delivered. also once person gets knowledgeable about project work, then he is transfered to another project. this way client get on knees and pay through nose to retain person who has gained experience. this is when onsite manager tell client to bring programmer onshore for short-period. everyone in team gets to go onsite and meet client for short trips. this increases rapport in teams.

• @Nagesh said:

Hoodarni,
    I am using j2EE in my programming code. I don't cook squirrels. MS C# is good language, but too esay to use. OUr company is built on philosophy of not taking on easy project works. The works we do are state of the art. If you use C#, coding will be over quickly with intellisense and all those feature rich products.

Since we use eclipse on 2 GB RAm computers, we give enough time for every programmer to drink one cup coffee for lines of code they write. Also such code becomes extremely difficult to maintain. Everyone knows if you do perfect job, there is no income later. so do job that will create recurring stream of income for everyone. this way we are able to serve client for several years after original code has been delivered. also once person gets knowledgeable about project work, then he is transfered to another project. this way client get on knees and pay through nose to retain person who has gained experience. this is when onsite manager tell client to bring programmer onshore for short-period. everyone in team gets to go onsite and meet client for short trips. this increases rapport in teams.

I have never been more "not sure if serious".

• ♿ (Parody)

@blakeyrat said:

I think Nagesh has been reading too many Scott Adams books.

• @boomzilla said:

@blakeyrat said:
    I think Nagesh has been reading too many Scott Adams books.

One can only hope

•  @David Barrett, AKA Retardio said:

or using a left-handed coordinate system with DirectX instead of right-handed as was used since the dawn of computer graphics.

To be fair, this may be a valid rant: the basic mathematical definitions of useful functions, like cross product, have to be modified for a left-hand coordinate system.  I can't actually think of why you'd break centuries of mathematical convention.

(Disclaimer: I don't use DirectX, because my programs need to work natively on other platforms, so I don't know if this claim is saying that the coordinates are rotated so the y-axis points down and positive-z is into the screen - which is still a right-hand coordinate system - or if DirectX really does change the underlying mathematics.)

• @too_many_usernames said:

@David Barrett, AKA Retardio said:

or using a left-handed coordinate system with DirectX instead of right-handed as was used since the dawn of computer graphics.

To be fair, this may be a valid rant: the basic mathematical definitions of useful functions, like cross product, have to be modified for a left-hand coordinate system.  I can't actually think of why you'd break centuries of mathematical convention.

To point out the obvious, DirectX isn't used or intended for rendering mathematical functions.

• ♿ (Parody)

@blakeyrat said:

@too_many_usernames said:
    @David Barrett, AKA Retardio said:
    To be fair, this may be a valid rant: the basic mathematical definitions of useful functions, like cross product, have to be modified for a left-hand coordinate system. I can't actually think of why you'd break centuries of mathematical convention.

To point out the obvious, DirectX isn't used or intended for rendering mathematical functions.

So is your point that manipulating 3D coordinates for the purpose of rendering graphics is unimportant? Or was your comment an irrelevant tangent?

• @boomzilla said:

So is your point that manipulating 3D coordinates for the purpose of rendering graphics is unimportant?

No.

@boomzilla said:

Or was your comment an irrelevant tangent?

Also no.

Reading is FUNdamental!

• @blakeyrat said:

Quoting Babbage: "I cannot rightly comprehend the confusion of ideas that would provoke such a question."

(I realize it wasn't phrased as a question, but still.)

• Ok, well, whatever. The point I was trying to make was that it doesn't matter if the DirectX coordinate system matches up with what's taught in your 7th grade geometry class, because DirectX isn't designed to render the exercises for your 7th grade geometry class.

Sorry for confusing people.

• ♿ (Parody)

@blakeyrat said:

Ok, well, whatever. The point I was trying to make was that it doesn't matter if the DirectX coordinate system matches up with what's taught in your 7th grade geometry class, because DirectX isn't designed to render the exercises for your 7th grade geometry class.=

Mainly yourself, apparently. Or are you really saying that there's no math involved with the rendering, physics, etc?

• @blakeyrat said:

Ok, well, whatever. The point I was trying to make was that it doesn't matter if the DirectX coordinate system matches up with what's taught in your 7th grade geometry class, because DirectX isn't designed to render the exercises for your 7th grade geometry class.

The only confusion appears to be regarding the difference between what is rendered versus the mechanism used to render it.

In order to render anything, certain mathematical functions involving coordinate transformations must be used.

These coordinate transformation functions have for centuries used certain conventions which are called "right-handed" because they can be visualized by looking at the shapes made by a right hand. Choosing to cast those functions to instead match the shapes of a left hand is a bizarre design decision.

• @boomzilla said:

@blakeyrat said:
    Ok, well, whatever. The point I was trying to make was that it doesn't matter if the DirectX coordinate system matches up with what's taught in your 7th grade geometry class, because DirectX isn't designed to render the exercises for your 7th grade geometry class.=

Mainly yourself, apparently. Or are you really saying that there's no math involved with the rendering, physics, etc?

No, I'm not. Because that would be fucking stupid. And I'm not fucking stupid.

• @too_many_usernames said:

These coordinate transformation functions have for centuries used certain conventions which are called "right-handed" because they can be visualized by looking at the shapes made by a right hand. Choosing to cast those functions to instead match the shapes of a left hand is a bizarre design decision.

Maybe because Glide used a left-handed coordinate system?

• @Sir Twist said:

@too_many_usernames said:

These coordinate transformation
    functions have for centuries used certain conventions which are called
    "right-handed" because they can be visualized by looking at the shapes
    made by a right hand. Choosing to cast those functions to instead match
    the shapes of a left hand is a bizarre design decision.

Maybe because Glide used a left-handed coordinate system?

From that link:

@greyfade said:

OpenGL uses a right-handed coordinate system, where the +Z part of the world coordinate system extends toward the viewer.

@John R. Strohm said:

@Timday, you have to teach the newbies the secret 3-D graphics non-handshake. Hold out your right hand, with thumb, index finger, and middle finger extended, all at right angles to each other. Thumb is X, index finger is Y, middle finger is Z. Now move your hand around, to align with whatever coordinates you want, and you immediately know how the motion is going to affect the transformations.

Ok, either I'm doing this wrong, or John Strohm's fingers are HORRIBLE MANGLED. Because if I follow those instructions (with either hand, BTW) I end up with my middle finger pointing AWAY form me, not TOWARDS me.

•  @blakeyrat said:

Ok, either I'm doing this wrong, or John Strohm's fingers are HORRIBLE MANGLED. Because if I follow those instructions (with either hand, BTW) I end up with my middle finger pointing AWAY form me, not TOWARDS me.

Thumb goes left to right, index finger up. Where does your middle finger point?

• @Ilya Ehrenburg said:

@blakeyrat said:

Ok, either I'm doing this wrong, or John Strohm's fingers are HORRIBLE
    MANGLED. Because if I follow those instructions (with either hand, BTW)
    I end up with my middle finger pointing AWAY form me, not TOWARDS me.

Straight ahead, natch... I'm a human being with human being bone structures. Am I supposed to be staring at my palm when I start this process?

• @blakeyrat said:

@Ilya Ehrenburg said:

@blakeyrat said:

Straight ahead, natch... I'm a human being with human being bone structures. Am I supposed to be staring at my palm when I start this process?

If you want to mimick a standard coordinate system with your fingers, yes.

• @Ilya Ehrenburg said:

@blakeyrat said:

@Ilya Ehrenburg said:

@blakeyrat said:

Ok, either I'm doing this wrong, or John Strohm's fingers are HORRIBLE
    MANGLED. Because if I follow those instructions (with either hand, BTW)
    I end up with my middle finger pointing AWAY form me, not TOWARDS me.

If you want to mimick a standard coordinate system with your fingers, yes.

I wonder how you can get your thumb pointing right and index finger pointing up (of your right hand) without seeing your palm. Unless your fingers are HORRIBLY MANGLED! Or doing it upside down (to quote my avatar).

• @Zemm said:

without seeing your palm

Nobody claimed this was possible.

• @Zemm said:

I wonder how you can get your thumb pointing right and index finger pointing up (of your right hand) without seeing your palm. Unless your fingers are HORRIBLY MANGLED! Or doing it upside down (to quote my avatar).

Read the instructions again, and tell me where it says:

1) That the thumb should be pointing right

2) That the index finger should be pointing up

3) That I should be looking at my palm

Because it doesn't say any of those things. And doing that pose with my palm facing me is both uncomfortable, and totally useless for pointing at things (which is what he implied you use it for.)

Stop defending people who are obviously wrong.

• blakeyrat,
    I am 100% serious. Nobody will tell this to you. They will keep talking about processes and philosophy. When it comes down to it, everyone who can fire arrow cannot become Arjuna, nor can anyone become Bheema. All project eventually become person dependent. That is sad story with software. Everyone including Roger Pressman says SW is science. This is outright lie, which managers also buy into. Once you buy into lie, you have to support it will all your guts.

There is one saying in one movie ("Watchmen" I think.). "Never compormise. Not even in face of Armageddon". Unfortunately this works well in comic books and movies. In real life all of us are constantly making compromises. [b]We are in a permanent state of compromising position[/b]. That is reason I admire Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi & your MLK guy. They never compromised.

TBH, it is an art. If you go make jewelery at goldsmith, die cast machine is not able to give same result.
    No machine can paint Mona Lisa. This truth every account manager know, but they keep spreading lies built around process and philosophy. It is all crap. The truth is people can[b]not[/b] be replaced by people at short notice. Documentation in all system remains complete joke till date.

[b]I will now end my rant. If you come to Hyderabad, coffee on me.[/b]

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@blakeyrat said:

1) That the thumb should be pointing right

@John R. Strohm said:

@Timday, you have to teach the newbies the secret 3-D graphics non-handshake. Hold out your right hand, with thumb, index finger, and middle finger extended, all at right angles to each other. Thumb is X,

@blakeyrat said:

2) That the index finger should be pointing up

@John R. Strohm said:

index finger is Y,

It does, of course assume an origin that is at the bottom left of whatever plane your horizontal X and vertical Y are lying in.

• @blakeyrat said:

And doing that pose with my palm facing me is both uncomfortable

I think we just found out whose hands are horribly mangled.

• ♿ (Parody)

@Nagesh said:

That is reason I admire Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi & your MLK guy. They never compromised.

Actually I think Gandhi compromised a fair amount. No doubt you could find times when MLK did, too. Not that either isn't worthy of admiration.

• @Nagesh said:

That is reason I admire Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi & your MLK guy.

Haha rock on.

@Nagesh said:

This truth every account manager know, but they keep spreading lies built around process and philosophy. It is all crap. The truth is people cannot be replaced by people at short notice. Documentation in all system remains complete joke till date.

I will now end my rant. If you come to Hyderabad, coffee on me.

I think they say it so much because they want it to be true. They want employees to be replaceable cogs, because they they don't have to worry about retaining the best. It's not so much that they can't see reality (unless they're real idiots), it's that they're deluding themselves, purposefully.

The real shame is that the Mythical Man-Month was published in 1975, and there are still IT managers who haven't read it. (And programmers who haven't read it. Shame on all of you.)

@PJH said:

It does, of course assume an origin that is at the bottom left of whatever plane your horizontal X and vertical Y are lying in.

When you reply to my posts in the future, I'd prefer it if you actually addressed the points in my post, instead of just bolding some shit that has absolutely nothing to do with what I said last. Thank you.

@dhromed said:

I think we just found out whose hands are horribly mangled.

Ok, you do that hand... thing, then try pointing to something about 20-30 degrees left of your field-of-vision. That doesn't hurt your wrist? At all?

@blakeyrat said:

When you reply to my posts in the future, I'd prefer it if you actually addressed the points in my post, instead of just bolding some shit that has absolutely nothing to do with what I said last. Thank you.

I did address your points, by bolding stuff that was entirely relevant to what you said last, from a <a href="http://forums.thedailywtf.com/forums/p/24215/251528.aspx#251528>previous post of yours.

That your short term memory is so broken that you can't remember what you yourself have written[1] beyond your very last post is not my problem.

[1] or actively copy/pasted from elsewhere

• @PJH said:

@blakeyrat said:

I did address your points, by bolding stuff that was entirely relevant to what you said last, from a previous post of yours.

That your short term memory is so broken that you can't remember what you yourself have written[1] beyond your very last post is not my problem.

Telling me the thumb represents the X axis doesn't tell me which direction it should be facing.

My dad can beat up your dad.

• @blakeyrat said:

Telling me the thumb represents the X axis doesn't tell me which direction it should be facing.

You know, this is one of the rare few commentaries that I have read from you that are mathematically correct but does not take into account common sense

@blakeyrat said:

Now I know you're not being serious.

It's either that or you really need to go see a doctor about these alzheimer's symptoms you're clearly exhibiting.

• @serguey123 said:

@blakeyrat said:

You know, this is one of the rare few commentaries that I have read from you that are mathematically correct but does not take into account common sense

It's obviously not common enough, because (to repeat myself) telling me the thumb represents the X axis doesn't tell me which direction it should be facing.

Ok, so the "common sense" is that the thumb points right? What makes that "common sense" instead of "utterly arbitrary?" Or is it "common sense" that I would contort my hand in a pointing pose that makes pointing to the left uncomfortable? Or is it "common sense" that when a weird hand gesture is described, you always start with the palm facing yourself? Because none of those things sound like "common sense" to me. I don't have psychic powers; I'm just reading the directions.

Look, my point is that John R. Strohm's directions are shitty, because following his directions exactly doesn't give the expected result. Nothing I've seen in this thread has convinced me otherwise.

Plus, none of this makes sense *anyway*, since if the palm is supposed to face me, the left-handed coordinate system also ends up with the middle finger pointing directly towards me, which is clearly wrong. So not only does the explanation suck, it's a shitty mnemonic as well.

• @blakeyrat said:

Ok, so the "common sense" is that the thumb points right? What makes that "common sense" instead of "utterly arbitrary?"

Basic math classes

• @serguey123 said:

@blakeyrat said:

Ok, so the "common sense" is that the thumb points right? What makes that "common sense" instead of "utterly arbitrary?"

Basic math classes

Well, my basic math classes didn't cover "thumb pointing direction."

@blakeyrat said:

Nor, apparently, did they cover where the X and Y axis (the latter being your index finger) meet (the origin on any co-ordinate system, or your hand in the metaphor being used.)

Remedial classes were they?

I await the "but they didn't explicitly state that your thumb should be pointing in the +ve X direction" excuse for `deliberately' not understanding the instructions.

• @PJH said:

@blakeyrat said:
    Nor, apparently, did they cover where the X and Y axis (the latter being your index finger) meet (the origin on any co-ordinate system, or your hand in the metaphor being used.)

What does that have to do with anything? Knowing where the X and Y axis intersect, and knowing that my thumb represents the X axis, still does not tell me which direction my thumb should face.

@PJH said:

No.

@PJH said:

I await the "but they didn't explicitly state that your thumb should be pointing in the +ve X direction" excuse for `deliberately' not understanding the instructions.

It's not an excuse, it's a fact-- they didn't explicitly state that. And I'm not deliberately not understanding anything. And you're an asshole.

Why the fuck are you covering for this guy? His mnemonic is shitty, and he explained it in a shitty way. What's your personal investment in this?

• @blakeyrat said:

@PJH said:
    @blakeyrat said:

What does that have to do with anything? Knowing where the X and Y axis intersect, and knowing that my thumb represents the X axis, still does not tell me which direction my thumb should face.

@PJH said:

No.

@PJH said:

It's not an excuse, it's a fact-- they didn't explicitly state that. And I'm not deliberately not understanding anything. And you're an asshole.

Why the fuck are you covering for this guy? His mnemonic is shitty, and he explained it in a shitty way. What's your personal investment in this?

Can somebody PLEASE take a picture of their hand to SHOW blakeyrat what the hell they are talking about already? </facepalm>

• @blakeyrat said:

@PJH said:
    @blakeyrat said:

Have you ever drawn coordinate axes on paper, or at least seen a picture of them? That should give you a clue of where the X axis usually points, and by extension where your thumb should point.

• Yeah, I have some trouble doing the hand manipulation, so no pic, but the thumb should be pointing the positive x direction.

• @blakeyrat said:

@serguey123 said:

@blakeyrat said:

Basic math classes

Well look, I can't explain this very well in english so I'm sorry in advance for any mistake.

Do you know what a cartesian coordinates system is?

Do you know what is the first octadrant is? That is what the mnemonic is all about.

• @tdb said:

Have you ever drawn coordinate axes on paper, or at least seen a picture of them? That should give you a clue of where the X axis usually points, and by extension where your thumb should point.

It doesn't "point" anywhere. It goes infinitely in either direction.

And even if it did "point" somewhere, why would I just automatically assume my thumb should point the same way?

• @tdb said:

Oh for deity's sake, you can turn your hand any way you want. the hand thing is just to help you visualise how the axes move in relation to each other. The way that's used is just the simplest to remember (all axes positive), but you could equally well turn your hand over and have some axes negative. And yes, the description originally posted isn't very helpful. And none of this has any bearing on directx's handedness.