Dell Power supply

• @Someone You Know said:

you're not cleared for that citizen<input name="ctl00$ctl00$bcr$bcr$ctl00$PostList$ctl51$ctl23$ctl01" id="ctl00_ctl00_bcr_bcr_ctl00_PostList_ctl51_ctl23_ctl01_State" value="value:Filed%20under%3A%20%3Ca%20href%3D%22%2Ftags%2Fyou_2700_re%2Bnot%2Bcleared%2Bfor%2Bthat%2Bcitizen%2Fdefault.aspx%22%20rel%3D%22tag%22%3Eyou're%20not%20cleared%20for%20that%20citizen%3C%2Fa%3E" type="hidden">

For which citizens am I cleared, then?

• @dhromed said:

@Someone You Know said:

you're not cleared for that citizen

Only the comma-separated kind.

@dhromed said:

@Someone You Know said:

Are those the same kind you can carry like a six-pack?

@dhromed said:

@Someone You Know said:

What about five <EMPTY> tokens and a chameleon?

• @blakeyrat said:

And stop talking about printers, who gives a shit about printers?

I do, because my (Lexmark) laser printer isn't printing very well lately. It's banding a lot even though it's relatively new and only half way through its second toner cartridge. Which makes it sound like a drum problem to me, but surely the drum should last longer than that? Of course the real question is whether it will cost more to get it repaired or to just buy a new one.

My inkjet printer is also a Lexmark, and it's virtually impossible to find cartridges for it now. Well, I managed to find the black cartridges in a couple of places last time we ran out, but I couldn't find a colour cartrdge anywhere.

• My grandma prints, I guess. Seriously, what are you, printing out emails to read or something? Join the 21st century with the rest of us, you might like it.

• Heh. Let's see. The last thing I printed was a wikipedia article on mayflies for my seven-year-old son (I'd rather do that than have him browsing by himself at this stage). Other than that, my wife has a shopping list document that we print out a bunch of copies of every couple of months. She also likes to print out medical or gardening stuff from time to time, though I'm not sure why.

The main things I print for my own use are bus directions and maps on the rare occasions I have to go somewhere I'm not familiar with. But I generally do that from work :)

• @blakeyrat said:

Seriously, what are you, printing out emails to read or something?

While my printer is mostly used for family stuff (kids, school, wife's work), I occasionally prefer looking at paper docs instead of bits and bytes. Especially when comparing docs, a laptop screen is less than ideal.

For directions I have my BlackBerry. No paper needed there.

• @Jaime said:

@stratos said:

@Jaime said:

@morbiuswilters said:

There's no law I know of that requires them to make their products easily compatible with third-party accessories

Ask Lexmark.  They tried to sue a company for making aftermarket toner,

You two are not talking about the same thing.

Sure we are, we are both talking about why Dell tries to lock out third-party power supplies. 

I brought up the toner thing to show how far manufacturers will go to lock in sales of consumables or accessories and that the courts have frowned on this business practice.

Firstly, if you look at the two setences I have made bold, you can clearly see that  morbs is talking about the fact that there is no law that states that products should be easily compatible with 3rd party products. You then start talking about a company that sued another. If you can not understand that there is a difference between those two things then you are a moron.

Secondly, 

Dell did not create a a system to block 3rd party products, Dell created an innovative new feature in which the computer can talk with the power supply to detect potential defects. The fact that it now also blocks faulty or otherwise incompatible devices is to protect the consumers from damaging their laptop.

•  @blakeyrat said:

Look, you're all "corporations are all evil, everybody's out to get us" mode right now. Fine. But you have to at least concede the possibility that maybe, just maybe, Dell is trying to prevent people's money from melting not into their purses!

FTFY

It's not like the power supply knows the battery. It's still the responsibility of the battery to get charged. Every Li-Ion battery is different and dangerous. And it's not like the original power supply had different values for voltage and amperes.

In Germany things like "Dell is not allowed to lock you in" might be different so I do not know if their move is legal or not.

• @stratos said:

The fact that it now also blocks faulty or otherwise incompatible devices is to protect the consumers from damaging their laptop and/or themselves.

FTFY

• @hallo.amt said:

@blakeyrat said:

Look, you're all "corporations are all evil, everybody's out to get us" mode right now. Fine. But you have to at least concede the possibility that maybe, just maybe, Dell is trying to prevent people's money from melting not into their purses!

FTFY

No, you didn't fix that for me. I typed what I fucking meant to type.

This conversation can't proceed until you paranoid freaks admit that here's a probability, no matter how small, that this move from Dell is altruistic in nature. Because you know what? There fucking is.

Let's go over the points one more time: bad chargers connected to Lithium Ion batteries can start fires, can cause the battery to explode, and can kill people. This is a fact. Dell knows that their brand of charger has been thoroughly tested so that it doesn't start fires, it doesn't cause the battery to explode, and it won't kill people. This is also a fact.

Christ, get out of your fucking hippie commune for a second and wake the fuck up. Pretty much everything good in my life was provided by corporations. I don't have an open source car or television or an fucking Xbox I got from a local craftsman hand-cut from wood.

Corporations are tools. Tools can be used for good, or for evil. If you have *proof* that Dell is doing this out of greed instead of out of their desire to protect their own customers from exploding batteries then by all means, you present that proof right fucking here, and consider my mind changed. BUT YOU HAVE TO PROVE IT FIRST. Paranoid rantings do not constitute evidence.

• @blakeyrat said:

This conversation can't proceed until you paranoid freaks admit that here's a probability, no matter how small, that this move from Dell is altruistic in nature. Because you know what? There fucking is.

Let's go over the points one more time: bad chargers connected to Lithium Ion batteries can start fires, can cause the battery to explode, and can kill people. This is a fact. Dell knows that their brand of charger has been thoroughly tested so that it doesn't start fires, it doesn't cause the battery to explode, and it won't kill people. This is also a fact.

Christ, get out of your fucking hippie commune for a second and wake the fuck up. Pretty much everything good in my life was provided by corporations. I don't have an open source car or television or an fucking Xbox I got from a local craftsman hand-cut from wood.

Corporations are tools. Tools can be used for good, or for evil. If you have *proof* that Dell is doing this out of greed instead of out of their desire to protect their own customers from exploding batteries then by all means, you present that proof right fucking here, and consider my mind changed. BUT YOU HAVE TO PROVE IT FIRST. Paranoid rantings do not constitute evidence.

This.

• @blakeyrat said:

Nope, I do not think all companies are evil. But I think you should be able to have alternatives. If yomeone really wants to save a few bucks that person should be able to. And that person should be intelligent enough to know that you get what you pay for.

Also I said before that Li-Ion batteries are dangerous.

• @hallo.amt said:

And that person should be intelligent enough to know that you get what you pay for.

Dell's not going to risk the guy who only thinks he's intelligent enough, but isn't.

• @dhromed said:

Dell's not going to risk the guy who only thinks he's intelligent enough, but isn't.

Damn right.  That kind of guy is their best customer.

• I know we are mostly all geeks and such, and yay for complex stuff. But for the love of god, can we please move towards a world where shit just works without reading the manual. I don't WANT to know about batteries, or current or whatever. I just want it to work and tell me when it's broken so i can call my supplier and get a new one.