Please write a comment to this exception.



  • I know it's only a minor WTF, but it still made me chuckle.

     [img]http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/4539/exception.png[/img]



  •  33$ for an exception handling system ? Brilliant and cheap !



  • @toshir0 said:

    $33 dollars
     

    FTFY.


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @dhromed said:

    @toshir0 said:

    $33 dollars
     

    FTFY.

    Um, why do you have dollars there twice?



  • @PJH said:

    @dhromed said:

    @toshir0 said:

    $33 dollars
     

    FTFY.

    Um, why do you have dollars there twice?
    It's the way bstorer likes to read it



  • @PJH said:

    Um, why do you have dollars there twice?
    RAS syndrome, as mentioned sometime ago.

    Plus, you get a System.TObject Free!



  • @Zecc said:

    @PJH said:

    Um, why do you have dollars there twice?
    RAS syndrome, as mentioned sometime ago.

    Plus, you get a System.TObject Free!

    For $8 dollar values of free.

    Also, Delphi! Yay!



  • I must be missing something.  Where's the WTF here?  This is a pretty standard way of gathering useful information about a crash.  The only strange part is that the ones I've seen don't display the stack trace and error log by default, since most users don't care.  That and the author's grammar is pretty bad...



  • @bjolling said:

    @PJH said:

    @dhromed said:

    @toshir0 said:

    $33 dollars
     

    FTFY.

    Um, why do you have dollars there twice?
    It's the way bstorer likes to read it
    I've gotta give you bastards credit: you guys consistently give 110% percent.



  • @Mason Wheeler said:

    I must be missing something.  Where's the WTF here?  This is a pretty standard way of gathering useful information about a crash.  The only strange part is that the ones I've seen don't display the stack trace and error log by default, since most users don't care.  That and the author's grammar is pretty bad...

    it's either the fact that PSPad is asking for comments to be written in English using broken English. Or the fact that someone is using PSPad instead of Notepad++ with and FTP plugin.



  • @bstorer said:

    I've gotta give you bastards credit: you guys consistently give 110% percent.
     

    We like to keep the running gags going and etcetera.



  • @chikinpotpi said:

    using PSPad instead of Notepad++ with and FTP plugin.
     

    It looks like PSPad understands the code. In one screenshot I saw it listing variable occurrences. That's pretty good. Can Np++ do that?

    Notes:

    - I use Editplus because I like it
    - I tried Notepad++, but didn't like it
    - truthfully, it's hard to switch when you've been accustomed to one tool for solong already



  • @dhromed said:

    @bstorer said:

    I've gotta give you bastards credit: you guys consistently give 110% percent.
     

    We like to keep the running gags going and etcetera.

     

    Stop this nonsense, before I report you to the Department of Redundancy Department!



  • @Mason Wheeler said:

    Stop this nonsense, before I report you to the Department of Redundancy Department!
     

    A likely story! They charge $X dollars per claim.



  • @Mason Wheeler said:

    Stop this nonsense, before I report you to the Department of Redundancy Department!



  • Why exactly is it a WTF to ask the user to explain what he did to crash the program?@derula said:

    @Zecc said:

    @PJH said:

    Um, why do you have dollars there twice?
    RAS syndrome, as mentioned sometime ago.

    Plus, you get a System.TObject Free!

    For $8 dollar values of free.

    Free as in FreeCreditReport.com, who now charges a dollar for their free service (in addition to the other scams).



  • @lolwtf said:

    Why exactly is it a WTF to ask the user to explain what he did to crash the program?@derula said:
    @Zecc said:

    @PJH said:

    Um, why do you have dollars there twice?
    RAS syndrome, as mentioned sometime ago.

    Plus, you get a System.TObject Free!

    For $8 dollar values of free.

    Free as in FreeCreditReport.com, who now charges a dollar for their free service (in addition to the other scams).
    Maybe it's free as in freedom, not beer.



  • @Mason Wheeler said:

    I must be missing something.  Where's the WTF here? 

    It is ironic that the crash happened in a routine called "HandleAnyException".  Clearly, it can't.




  • @DaveK said:

    @Mason Wheeler said:

    I must be missing something.  Where's the WTF here? 

    It is ironic that the crash happened in a routine called "HandleAnyException".  Clearly, it can't.

     

    That looks to me like a quirk in the way the exception reporting tool's stack trace works.  The exception was raised in Math.Ceil, and HandleAnyException got called to handle it.  HandleAnyException contains code to dispatch a notification to anything that cares, in this case, the exception reporting tool. It receives this notification and makes a stack trace, but the guy who wrote it apparently didn't think to filter out the top couple stack frames.



  • @Mason Wheeler said:

    @DaveK said:

    @Mason Wheeler said:

    I must be missing something.  Where's the WTF here? 

    It is ironic that the crash happened in a routine called "HandleAnyException".  Clearly, it can't.

     

    That looks to me like a quirk in the way the exception reporting tool's stack trace works.  The exception was raised in Math.Ceil, and HandleAnyException got called to handle it.  HandleAnyException contains code to dispatch a notification to anything that cares, in this case, the exception reporting tool. It receives this notification and makes a stack trace, but the guy who wrote it apparently didn't think to filter out the top couple stack frames.

    I think not, because you'll notice that HandleAnyException isn't the top entry on the stack.  It looks to me like Math.Ceil raised an exception, probably a quite unexceptional (!) math one, and then HandleAnyException jumped into space, causing an access violation because it set the program counter to 00bc0005 which wasn't a mapped address.  I think the stack trace comes from the last-chance unhandled exception filter, not HandleAnyException.

    But I'm guessing.  Maybe HandleAnyException does something crazy like create a bogus stack frame ahead of itself to show where the exception was, but that doesn't seem likely to me, and it's not how SEH generally manifests itself on windows. 



Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.